Hamachi, ics, orion95, and novell

Discussion of how to play Master of Orion II over a LAN.
KFizzle
Hamachi, ics, orion95, and novell

Postby KFizzle » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:56 am

you know what since alexD told me about hamachi, ive been messing around with it forever

here's my stats:
i dont have xp pro sp2 just regular xp pro
so i got novell ipx and put it on my computer
and i got hamachi and everything
and guess what?

my home network computers connected over hamachi with novell
was successfully able to load dos moo2 v1.40

but now my problem is: i cant get my orion95 to work over hamachi,
or if anyone could tell me how to fix or go around that that would be helpful.

i have a ics network, dont even use routers. had one but then traded it with someone for something else. is there a way to simply play moo2 over an ics network without hamachi? just wanting to know.

Lord Brazen
Site Admin

Re: Hamachi, ics, orion95, and novell

Postby Lord Brazen » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:07 am

my home network computers connected over hamachi with novell was successfully able to load dos moo2 v1.40
This indicates to me that you have all the right software installed on your systems.

You mention you use ICS. This is not a problem. It separates your LAN from the internet and makes one of your computers a gateway to the internet (in other words a router with NAT). There should be no problem playing a LAN game on your local machines (those that are part of your LAN and not those over the internet).

The only thing that Hamachi does is tunnel through any firewalls and provide a secure link over the internet. You dont need Hamachi for a LAN based game.

The only thing that may prevent a LAN based game in your setup is if your network cards that are on the LAN side (those that connect the computers together) have a firewall or dont have IPX protocol bound to them. You will only need a firewall on the NIC that is connected to your cable or DSL modem. You do not want IPX protocol on that NIC (uncheck it).

It sounds like you are very close to getting a LAN game working. You just need to configure things.

To troubleshoot you can try running dxdiag (click start then run then type dxdiag) on each of your machines. Use the "Test Directplay" button on the Network Tab. From there run a DirectPlay IPX service provider test. On one machine create a session and on the other join the session. This forms a chat session if things are working properly. Its a simple test. If it works then windows based (not DOS) IPX games should work.

Best of luck
"Stars are holes in the sky from which the light of the Infinite shine through." - Confucius.

KFizzle

Postby KFizzle » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:39 am

hahaha,
you know what?

i couldnt get orion95 to work over hamachi on my home network because
i didnt have the right driver installed for my 2nd computer.

now that i got the driver installed, orion95 works perfectly fine on home network/lan.

just gotta test it over hamachi now, im sure it will work since dos orion2 works.

sweet, now i can play moo2 with friends outside of kali, and no more to worry about free serials. sweet.

thanks man, for all the help, the great blog site, the patch everything man!

yurop

Postby yurop » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:33 pm

Hi!

I've problem playing lan games (over hamachi). When I start a game or want to join to an existing it is very unstable... it always quit after a few second (my friend has tha same problem)

I've followed the instructions which is here in this website-patched, hamachi configured etc.
The dos version (1.40b23) more unstable than the orion95 (we could play with that for 40-50 turns before it freezed).

Any idea? i don't think that hamachi has anything with this because we can play other games without problem)

thx!!

Return to “LAN games”