Argh. Quicktime crash in Firefox ate my post (It remembered all the open tabs, but the forum said "Post mode not specified" or something instead of returning with the partially-written post open).
It's a jar file, you can double-click it to run it if you have java installed. Ray had a lot of bugs in it, though, which he hadn't fixed, and there's no saving or loading.
I've merged that version with my fixes and continued fixing things, however, and I have it set up so that the 10 MB data files only download once no matter how many times I fix things, and so that it automatically checks for updates when you run it: http://shadowlord13.googlepages.com/Moo_RFR2.jnlp
(either run that, or download and then double-click the file)
You need java 5 or better (6 works too) to run that. It probably still has some bugs, I doubt I've found them all yet.
Note: You will get a warning about "The application's digital signature could not be verified." That is because all jar files used by java webstart (which is what I'm using for the autodownloading and configuring of max heap/stack memory etc) must be signed, and I didn't want to pay $431/year
for a code signing certificate from verisign, or $166.95/year
for one from comodo, etc. There aren't any CAs who give away free code signing certificates AFAIK, but it is possible to self-sign one, which is what I did (It expired after six months, but that just makes it replace one kind of warning with another).
My changelog: http://shadowlord13.googlepages.com/rfr-changes.html
Source code: http://shadowlord13.googlepages.com/Moo_RFR2_src.jar
Saving and loading takes a few minutes, though, currently. I've got it tracking how many of each class and how many of each field in each class are written, and writing that to error.txt when it finishes saving, and will use that to look for promising candidates for changing to fixed externalizable saving/loading to speed things up later, once I have a game with fairly many ships etc.
I haven't zipped up everything I've been using to build and package it yet though, so if anyone else wanted to help, poke me to remind me to do that. Currently I have my automation package* built in netbeans (if I've modified it), then RFR built in netbeans, then I run a package.bat that I made to take apart the RFR.jar JA.jar files and recombine them into Moo_RFR2_data.jar, Moo_RFR2.jar, and Moo_RFR2_src.jar. Then I run a sign.bat and type in my (self-signed) certificate password (and if I were updating the data jar I do the same with signdata.bat). Then I upload the updated Moo_RFR2.jar to my site on google pages (and update the changelog).
If you were compiling it on linux you would use shell scripts or something instead of batch files.
Of course, that could probably be done with ant or something somehow, which netbeans calls, I think, but it wasn't obvious how to convince netbeans to do it all by itself (which would be the ideal solution).
* = That includes the auto-serialization stuff which I used for saving/loading, a memory usage warning system which is what writes out the memory usage amounts to logging.txt, some sanity check stuff which I don't think is used anywhere in RFR.