Java MOO project: Rise From Ruin

Discussion about Master of Orion (the first game in the series)
siron
Java MOO project: Rise From Ruin

Postby siron » Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:44 am

Java MOO project: Rise From Ruin is back. New forum:

http://jmoo.leiavoia.net/forum/

Time

Postby Time » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:46 am

I checked it out, nice photos. :)
Especially, the Sakkra and Psilon.
MOO1 Fan, MOO2 Fan, MOO3 needed too many changes = hopeless, getting older waiting for a MOO4 (still).

mayito7777

Postby mayito7777 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:16 pm

That site is dead.

JosEPh

Postby JosEPh » Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:37 pm

The site is still there. It's just that Ray Kerby ended the project. :cry:

He left an E-M addy for anyone interested in trying to further it or complete it.

JosEPh

Shadowlord

Postby Shadowlord » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:43 am

There's no email address listed there (or forum) anymore.

Well, interestingly, http://jmoo.leiavoia.net/Game.jar is still a valid URL.

The last released version (what that url goes to) was apparently v.t060508 - the last version I had a copy of myself was v.t050502.

I had been playing with v.t050502 locally for the past couple days, since I still had it, and fixing bugs when I ran into them, and so on. (Though the first thing I did was fix the saving/loading stuff, which I had added in 2005, which never actually worked properly until yesterday when I thoroughly tested and fixed the several things that were wrong with it - which just demonstrates that, as I like to say nowadays, "if you don't test it, it won't work" - If I remember right, and I'm not sure that I do, I added it but didn't fully test it before Ray went on hiatus for the summer. I think I didn't do anything further with it after that, and gave up checking on the project by early 2006.)

(If you didn't know, each release Ray made included the source .java files inside the .jar file. I emailed Ray once to ask if it was intentional that they were in there, and he said that, yes, it was indeed intentional.)

It's too bad there isn't a changelog of any sort in the jar file. The RFR forum isn't really browseable through google's cache (I can see the "How to get the latest version of the game (5/6/2006)" post and the search forum page, and that's it). Not that I remember Ray posting changelogs on the forum either. Methinks I'll be loading up WinMerge to see what's changed (besides the odd double-pane changing-while-I-point-at-things interface). :P

Time

Postby Time » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:57 am

I can download it, but, I didn't see an .exe file, or one intitled install or setup?
What do you type to run it?
MOO1 Fan, MOO2 Fan, MOO3 needed too many changes = hopeless, getting older waiting for a MOO4 (still).

Shadowlord

Postby Shadowlord » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:02 pm

Argh. Quicktime crash in Firefox ate my post (It remembered all the open tabs, but the forum said "Post mode not specified" or something instead of returning with the partially-written post open).

It's a jar file, you can double-click it to run it if you have java installed. Ray had a lot of bugs in it, though, which he hadn't fixed, and there's no saving or loading.

I've merged that version with my fixes and continued fixing things, however, and I have it set up so that the 10 MB data files only download once no matter how many times I fix things, and so that it automatically checks for updates when you run it: http://shadowlord13.googlepages.com/Moo_RFR2.jnlp (either run that, or download and then double-click the file)

You need java 5 or better (6 works too) to run that. It probably still has some bugs, I doubt I've found them all yet.

Note: You will get a warning about "The application's digital signature could not be verified." That is because all jar files used by java webstart (which is what I'm using for the autodownloading and configuring of max heap/stack memory etc) must be signed, and I didn't want to pay $431/year for a code signing certificate from verisign, or $166.95/year for one from comodo, etc. There aren't any CAs who give away free code signing certificates AFAIK, but it is possible to self-sign one, which is what I did (It expired after six months, but that just makes it replace one kind of warning with another).

My changelog: http://shadowlord13.googlepages.com/rfr-changes.html

Source code: http://shadowlord13.googlepages.com/Moo_RFR2_src.jar

Saving and loading takes a few minutes, though, currently. I've got it tracking how many of each class and how many of each field in each class are written, and writing that to error.txt when it finishes saving, and will use that to look for promising candidates for changing to fixed externalizable saving/loading to speed things up later, once I have a game with fairly many ships etc.

I haven't zipped up everything I've been using to build and package it yet though, so if anyone else wanted to help, poke me to remind me to do that. Currently I have my automation package* built in netbeans (if I've modified it), then RFR built in netbeans, then I run a package.bat that I made to take apart the RFR.jar JA.jar files and recombine them into Moo_RFR2_data.jar, Moo_RFR2.jar, and Moo_RFR2_src.jar. Then I run a sign.bat and type in my (self-signed) certificate password (and if I were updating the data jar I do the same with signdata.bat). Then I upload the updated Moo_RFR2.jar to my site on google pages (and update the changelog).

If you were compiling it on linux you would use shell scripts or something instead of batch files.

Of course, that could probably be done with ant or something somehow, which netbeans calls, I think, but it wasn't obvious how to convince netbeans to do it all by itself (which would be the ideal solution).

* = That includes the auto-serialization stuff which I used for saving/loading, a memory usage warning system which is what writes out the memory usage amounts to logging.txt, some sanity check stuff which I don't think is used anywhere in RFR.

JosEPh

Postby JosEPh » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:08 am

So someone picked it up after Ray gave up, Cool!

Hope you keep at it shadowlord.

JosEPh :)

Edit: Got this error msg;

The XML page cannot be displayed
Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Required white space was missing. Error processing resource 'http://shadowlord13.googlepages.com/Moo_RFR2.jnlp'. Line 16, ...

<jar href="Moo_RFR2.jar" main="true", download="eager"/>
-------------------------------------^
:(

marekparf

Postby marekparf » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:08 am

Hello,

I've found that the URL http://jmoo.leiavoia.net/Game.jar is still working and I must admit that the game looks really cool. Unfortunately, bugfixes made by Shadowlord seems to be unavailable at http://shadowlord13.googlepages.com.

I am interested in taking over maintenance of this code.

Therefore I have few questions:

1) Does anybody maintain this code right now and/or have newer version than that from Game.jar file?
I would like to start with the latest version available...

2) Does anybody know who is the exact author(s) and what is the license agreement? Is it a freeware?
I don't want to violate anyone's rights

I would very appreciate any bit of information. Feel free to email me: marekparf2006 at poczta onet pl

Regards

Return to “Master of Orion”