(Update) Aphelion: Phoenix Rising

General discussion. Please use this area for any off-topic discussion.
gorgse
(Update) Aphelion: Phoenix Rising

Postby gorgse » Fri May 08, 2009 2:08 pm

Update: We have Entered the 2009 Intel Level Up Contest. Winning this contest would go along ways to gaining a publisher for our game, as some of the judges for this contest are: Sid Meier (Civilization, Railroad Tycoon, Pirates), Will Wright (Spore, Sims, Sim City), and Brad Wardell (Galactic Civilizations, Sins of a Solar Empire). Winners of any of the categories get a invite to the 2009 and 2010 Game developers Conferences to pitch their game.

Contest site:
http://software.intel.com/en-us/contest ... yid=132353

Thank you for your support and have a great day!

Hey we are a independent developer making a new 4x space stategy game I believe everyone here would be interested in. Here is the lowdown on our game:

Aphelion is a 4X(eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, and eXterminate) turn based strategy based on a distant future. It features six distinct alien factions, pitted in a desperate battle for control of the galaxy. You can chose from six unique empires, each with their own distinct technologies, ships, units, strengths, and weaknesses. There are over 240 unique ships in the game. The game stays true to a pure turn based approach in all aspects, preventing the it from degrading into a reaction time based click fest when large forces meet. We use an unified system model, instead of managing each planet separately. This will help limit late game creep and keep micromanagement in check.. The game features a circular galaxy which has no corners and a black hole in the center. This will increase strategy, as player's can't hole up in the safety of corners, and results in more equal starting position for all.

Aphelion: Phoenix Rising features:
Engaging and complex storyline which unfolds as the game progresses.

Dynamic technology trees specific to your race that change every game for greater replayability.

Six distinct civilizations, complete with their own look, units, technology, and strategies.

Dynamic diplomacy systems, alloying the forging of alliances along with many other forms of treaties such as trade, friendship, war pacts and non-aggression treaties.

Engaging espionage system in which you can assassinate, sabotage, spy, and frame your enemy. This system is complete with repercussion in the event of disclosure of deeds.

Spectacular 3-D space battles in which the outcome can change in a second due to a reactor going critical, or a boarding party forcing their way to the ship's bridge.

We are a small developer, but that does not mean that we do not have big dreams. In order to get noticed, we need to make some noise in the game world. Please help by visiting our page on Gamespot so that we can be seen and attract the attention of a publisher. Thank you for you time, and feel free to visit our website or forums if you have more questions.

Gamespot page:
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/aph ... mary;title

http://wyvernstudios.net/

Jared O'Connor[/b]
Last edited by gorgse on Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Astax

Postby Astax » Fri May 08, 2009 6:14 pm

Astroturf?

gorgse

Postby gorgse » Fri May 08, 2009 7:45 pm

Sorry you lost me.. Astroturf?

Astax

Postby Astax » Sat May 09, 2009 1:14 am

Yes it's Astroturf. No offense meant :) I am actually impressed with your site and screenshots. I will go troll your board in a bit. You came to the right place, many people here would be interested in your project.

If you need help with your project let me know :) I'm a programmer also, junior grade, but I can be of some help.

gorgse

Postby gorgse » Sat May 09, 2009 1:07 pm

Astax,
Hey thanks for visting our forums and posting, we need to get a more lively conversation going on there for sure. Thank for the offer, but unfortunately we will have to decline. Feel free to ask on any subject that you would like the explaination expanded on. :)

gorgse

Postby gorgse » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:38 pm

Going to add this to the header as well:

We have Entered the 2009 Intel Level Up Contest. Winning this contest would go along ways to gaining a publisher for our game, as some of the judges for this contest are: Sid Meier (Civilization, Railroad Tycoon, Pirates), Will Wright (Spore, Sims, Sim City), and Brad Wardell (Galactic Civilizations, Sins of a Solar Empire). Winners of any of the categories get a invite to the 2009 and 2010 Game developers Conferences to pitch their game.

Contest site:
http://software.intel.com/en-us/contest ... yid=132353

Thank you for your support and have a great day!

Jared O'Connor
Wyvern Studios

Time

Postby Time » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:05 pm

I see you have 6 basic races, including some of the more common ones.

1) Atrox - the Genetically engineered, Replusive, builds large fleets, generic bad guy
2) Therans - the Peaceful race, Aquatic, generic good guy
3) Vitruvians - the Cybernetic race, Better Shields
4) Atton - the Religous zealots, Ground Combat race, likes the humans
5) Greys - the Research race, experimented on humans
6) Pintar - the Humans, always present

None stated directly as the Productive race, Financial race, Rapidly reproducing race, Speeder Race, Spy race, Cloaked race.

It is great that you keep up the theme.
Add custom races to the sequel and you will get more fans.
Minor races, such as MOO2 natives or Birth of the Federation style Minor races, would add depth to the game.

I'm not so sure how randomizing the tech tree, will be appealing to anyone who plays the game enough, trying to do better the next time, will help anyone to be able to plan their next research, in the next game, if it is more of luck in getting the tech for a building or weapon you need.
MOO1 Fan, MOO2 Fan, MOO3 needed too many changes = hopeless, getting older waiting for a MOO4 (still).

Astax

Postby Astax » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:14 pm

I've actually posted about minor races on their forum long time ago. But it appears that they changed forums,s o that info is gone. I believe they were not going to have minor races, or they were not goign to be as big an impact as they are in BotF.

Time

Postby Time » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:12 pm

I have been on the Civ 4 forums alot lately, and there, upgrading the "Barbarians" were talked about alot. They did improve them in Civ 5, but, that game hasn't been a hit to the fans posting online.

This game here needed to add custom races to be more MOO2-like.
It sucks that after all of these years, new games come out and they still can't do the things we liked in our "low tech" games from years past.
sad.
MOO1 Fan, MOO2 Fan, MOO3 needed too many changes = hopeless, getting older waiting for a MOO4 (still).

Return to “General Discussion”