Astax' XNA project thread.

General discussion. Please use this area for any off-topic discussion.
Astax
Astax' XNA project thread.

Postby Astax » Mon May 04, 2009 2:54 am

Hey guys,

This thread is for my XNA project. Goal of which is to make a TBS game with heavy moo2 influence (customizable races, ships, multi colony star systems).

I will post updates as I go. Feel free to comment on my progress. If you wish to fiddle with my latest builds follow instructions below.

You need Direct 9c compatible gfxcard with Direct 9c installed. (directX10 also works)

You need to install the following 3 things:
.Net framework 3.5 http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/netfram ... 78097.aspx
XNA Redistributable 3.0 : http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en
And finally latest build: http://www.mediafire.com/?yqnnulxiiz3

Please let me know if you are able to install and run the application. Please provide system specs.
Last edited by Astax on Wed May 20, 2009 8:38 am, edited 4 times in total.

Astax

Postby Astax » Sat May 09, 2009 1:26 am

Added few more goodies, if you wish to look at it. Yes graphics are horrible, but these are all placeholders!

I spent quite a bit of time making sure my planets orbit in perfect circles, then I made the orbits elliptical using the circle functions. My circle functions are very good now, I can do a lot of things. Like the new selections around stars, the perfect Pentagons are drawn up using the circle function!

Also I fixed few things with the way the engine measures locations of my object. I redid it so object locations is the point directly in the center of my object, and not the leading corner as was before. This makes it very easy to add next part to the engine, which will allow me to create lines between 2 objects for things like fleet destinations.

Astax

Postby Astax » Sun May 10, 2009 2:25 am

Added latest build. I'm on the verge of rewriting most of the engine. It got too messy to adjust very simple things when I was tweaking the way stars and planets are displayed. This caused me to consider that I have some serious design issues... and the fact I haven't designed some aspects of the game may be to blame :) I did a lot of on the fly coding, which while it makes you feel wonderful inside, makes things very complicated.

With this build you can see how flexible my Game Area is by using Space bar to switch between the Moo3 and classic Moo2 view :) The moo3 approach will be in the final I'm sure. Moo2 approach is dated, and I want to commit as much area as I can tot he game screen. Other info, like your treasury, will be displayed on a bar (I'll make a fancy bar I promise) up top.

gorgse

Postby gorgse » Sun May 10, 2009 3:06 am

looks good, most people can't comprehend how much work it entails to get as far as you are, most is unseen.

Astax

Postby Astax » Sat May 16, 2009 3:34 am

New update 0,3

I was able after much tinkering to redo my drawing code to be lot more flexible. As you can see in this build I made it so that the stars do not scale when zoomed. I also made the orbits of planets scale inversely to the zoom function for ascetic reasons.

Along with messing around with a bunch of stuff, I started working on adding fleets in. I put in a skeletal frame work to handle fleets. On the horizon is more additions to the fleets code, along with new line drawing code. Basically it will be easy for me to draw lines between two objects, like a fleet and it's destination.

Also I will work on auto-zoom feature, so that when you double click on a star system, it will zoom in to the system level where you will be able to fiddle with the planets! This is a lot to do so the next update will be a while :)

Draxx Vengard

Graphics

Postby Draxx Vengard » Tue May 19, 2009 9:39 pm

MAN!! THOSE GRAPHICS ARE AWESOME!!!!!
[Wash: Oh my g**! What could it be? Who's flying this thing?! Oh wait that would be me, back to work.]
[Mal: We've done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.]
Pardus

Astax

Postby Astax » Wed May 20, 2009 8:49 am

Oh man you are so cruel! All those are just placeholders. I made the sprites by hand using Paint and Paint.Net lol. I am not going to do any significant grafix updates till i get the galaxy screen functionality to 90% (I call it screen 6, based on a map I drew up while traveling on a train one day).

Anyway latest build which is halfway to my deployment goal. But it took me a lot of slacking off to come up with the perfect way to implement the zoom feature. It is pretty sweet actually. After many failed attempts I spent 2 days playing Sword of the Stars for 10 hours a day, and it came to me clear as summer day. That's best part of programming. You actually get most of your work done day dreaming while doing other stuff. Most of my ideas I get in the shower.

Double clicking a star will now enter AutoZoom mode. Which will move the star to the center of the screen then zoom in. To exit you can use scroll mouse wheel to zoom out. While zoomed in I disabled most mouse commands, but I didn't touch the keyboard versions (like a/s) so mess with those at your own risk! You can now select a planet while zoomed in. But be warned the hit box for the left click is really small relative to the size of the object. This will probably cause me to rewrite my routines again, so I don't have to manually adjust stuff like this, but rather have the hit box returned to me when I call a method. Of course it was already supposed to look like this! But unfortunately while drawing stuff using my scale multiplier, the mouse is totally oblivious to this and uses the object radius :/

Oh and ignore the numbers in upper left, it's for diagnostics when I was doing double click timing and messing with galaxy zoom ratio.

Time

Postby Time » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:19 pm

15 months and no update post?

Are you still working on this project?

Always like to hear about MOO2 style of games being written.
:)
MOO1 Fan, MOO2 Fan, MOO3 needed too many changes = hopeless, getting older waiting for a MOO4 (still).

Astax

Postby Astax » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:09 pm

A bit yes! I inherited a build from another project, so I been fiddling with both sorta. But I have been side tracked by other projects as well. I appreciate your interest in the matter. I actually have something planned within two months :) I am trying to bring someone else on board.

Return to “General Discussion”