Moo2 without the war

General discussion. Please use this area for any off-topic discussion.
Aeonic
Moo2 without the war

Postby Aeonic » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:31 am

I've always wanted to build or play a game which plays like Moo2, only without the war aspects of it. I like the colony building, exploration, diplomacy, ship design and all that fun stuff, I just hate how everyone is out to kill each other constantly just because that's what they're supposed to do.

Has anyone ever considered the prospects of a game based around exploring and colonizing the galaxy, as well as negotiating with alien species and perhaps working out trade routes and agreements and things such as that, but without the war aspects?
Space isn't remote at all. It's only an hour's drive away if your car could go straight up.

Green_Knight

Postby Green_Knight » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:45 pm

No military conflict whatsoever? Or just less focus on warfare?

Regardless you'd need some sort of conflict/competition theme, or it would get mighty boring pretty quick.

Aeonic

Postby Aeonic » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:42 pm

No military conflict, as in, closer to an galaxy-wide SimCity than a space conquest game. I figure other conflict could be achieved through things like supply in demand, diplomacy, trading, espionage, and cultural supremacy like with GalCiv. You know, if another empire's planet is dependant on your empire for something, you could cut off their supply and starve/demoralize them, combined with some cultural influences and get them to rebel and join your empire.
Space isn't remote at all. It's only an hour's drive away if your car could go straight up.

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:46 pm

This would be something like Simcity game...not turned based strategy. :roll:

You can't say about chess that whites are killing blacks and vice versa, can you?
The same concept applies here.

Xpytrov

Postby Xpytrov » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:19 am

I dont know if this is completely what you're looking for but have you ever heard of a board game called 'Settlers of Catan'?

Its a non-conflict based settlement game where you compete for territory and control on an island that is generated differently each time you play. Sound familiar? :)

Catan (Wikipedia) Article

You might say it's not Space-focussed like MOO, but they did make a version called Spacefarers of Catan which sounds right up your street! (admittedly, I havn't tried this one, but I think it's basically the same but ... in space).

Popcap games did a version for PC you can play with AI opponents. There's also a pretty popular version of it on Xbox Live.

Penny Arcade

Return to “General Discussion”