Getting Symtex's original 1.31 patch to work

General discussion. Please use this area for any off-topic discussion.
Wizbang
Getting Symtex's original 1.31 patch to work

Postby Wizbang » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:52 pm

So OK, 1st time on this forum. I realize that most of you folks are playing Moo2 on line. My current question is about getting the 1.31 patch to work.

With earlier forms of DOS/Windows I never had a problem getting the patch to work but with XP, I have downloaded the stinking patch about 4 times. Move the resulting zip. file into the Moo2 directory, use the unzip utility, get the confirming message that I have extracted the patch, and the blasted game still starts up as 1.1.

Very disappointing. Since I don't use the DOS version I can't use the 1.4 patch. I hasve been playing this game about every once every 6 mo since the game was released many years ago and still regard the 1.31 version as a work of art. Any ideas about what I'm doing wrong? anybody?

If any of you people wants to tell me that to get 1.31 up and running, I'll need to live a better life, I'll consider joining a convent but I really need some help here. Thanks

Cabman

Postby Cabman » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:38 am

We all use dosbox for mp atm, here is the guide and much other stuff worth reading:
http://masteroforion2.blogspot.com/2006 ... guide.html

Wizbang

Postby Wizbang » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:47 pm

Cabman, I appreciate the response and knew that I was out on a limb by asking a single player question on this forum. Given that I have struggled with Dosbox to no avail in the past, I still want to fix the single player 1st and may be bold enough to try multiplayer after that.

There seem to be so few places to ask this kind of question about a game this old. Kind of frustrating. Any other ideas? Wizbang

Lord Brazen
Site Admin

Re: Getting Symtex's original 1.31 patch to work

Postby Lord Brazen » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:44 pm

I have extracted the patch, and the blasted game still starts up as 1.1.
I think you either have the wrong patch zip file or you are not extracting it correctly. The correct zip has an Orion95.exe in it. When unzipping correctly you should be prompted to overwrite files. You must overwrite the files. When trying to run the game make sure you are running the Orion95.exe that you extracted and not some other one.
"Stars are holes in the sky from which the light of the Infinite shine through." - Confucius.

Return to “General Discussion”