Achilles Targeting Unit and Structural Analyzer questions

General discussion. Please use this area for any off-topic discussion.
creativename
Achilles Targeting Unit and Structural Analyzer questions

Postby creativename » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:39 am

Does adding a Structural Analyzer and/or Achilles Targeting Unit increase the damage that missiles do?

Do they increase the damage of EMG missiles too? (not that it matters too much as a single MV EMG is enough to destroy most ships in my experience)

Also do the effects of achilles and structural analyzer stack with each other?

And when playing to win, what do people usually pick with a non-creative production race - Autolab or Structural Analyzer? I've always taken Autolab, because of the huge tech speed increase, but I read here that Structural Analyzer is considered overpowered.

Cabman

Postby Cabman » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:24 pm

SA and ATU does not apply to missiles.
Also do the effects of achilles and structural analyzer stack with each other?
- what do you mean by that? ..ATU causes that beams are armour piercing and tripples the chance of hiiting beam weapons and shields, while SA doubles the damage tha penetrates shields.
regarding your 3rd question..read the Cyber's guide http://masteroforion2.blogspot.com/2005 ... guide.html

creativename

Postby creativename » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:37 pm

Thanks for the reply. What I meant is, if one combines them, does it both directly damage structure points and double the damage done to the structure? I would assume yes but I want to make sure.

And if it triples the chance of hitting ship systems, does Structural Analyzer double damage done to those systems?

philcha

Postby philcha » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:23 pm

First, neither ATU nor SA helps you get past enemy shields; so subtract from the beam weapon's damage the amount that's blocked by the shields (if you don't have SP weapons). If you have ATU, the remainder (unblocked damage) bypasses armour and has 3x the normal chance of hitting systems (weapons computers, engines, shiled generators, etc.) rather than structure. If you have SA, the unblocked damage is doubled. So if you have both, the unblocked damge is doubled and bypasses armour and has 3x the normal chance of hitting systems.

And if you want to be really evil, add High Energy Focus. That increases the raw damage by 50%; but usually the increase in unblocked damage exceeds 50% because a smaller % of the total damage is blocked. HEF + SA + ATU = carnage.

OK, these specials reduce the space availalble for weapons - but even if you can only have half as many weapons, each one is about 4x as effective.

parachute4u

Postby parachute4u » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:23 am

Heavy Mount, Auto-Fire Shield Piercing Phasor +
ATU+
HEF+
SA+
the thing that let's you shot twice =
MANY dead Doomstars in one turn (about 10)

Return to “General Discussion”