Plasma Cannons vs Auto Firing Phasors

General discussion. Please use this area for any off-topic discussion.
Yxklyx
Plasma Cannons vs Auto Firing Phasors

Postby Yxklyx » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:52 pm

So, been testing out the weapons. Which is better Heavy Plasma Cannons or Heavy Autofiring Phasors? It seems that the Phasors do better.

Time

Postby Time » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:09 pm

Phasors are more accurate (with the continuous +25% upgrade).
Plasma Cannons Do more Damage x4 vs x3 (assuming all 3 actually hit)

I prefer a setup for a battleship, like this:

2 Heavy Phasor; continuous, autofire - FA
1 Heavy Plasma Cannon - FA
1 Plasma cannon - FX
1 Phasor, point-defense, continuous, autofire - 360

This is a rough ratio to use.
Heavy Plasma Cannons take up alot of space, compared to Heavy Phasors, so, it's good to mix them, to maximize damage. Phasors replace your Fusion Beams for good point defense too, with the options above, and a higher minimum damage.

The Phasors are good to knock down a shield, and let the plasmacannons due alot of internal damage, even if the opponent's ship has changed facing, which may normally not allow internal hits.
MOO1 Fan, MOO2 Fan, MOO3 needed too many changes = hopeless, getting older waiting for a MOO4 (still).

Cabman

Postby Cabman » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:07 am

Plasma cannon is more more accurate since it also has continuous mod and no autofire (contrary to phasors). But it really takes a lot of space and has no pd mod. Also not taking good gc tech like plasma rifle is very risky since many MP games are decided with raid/capturing actions...So phasors are my choice :)

marhawkman

Postby marhawkman » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:46 pm

Also not taking good gc tech like plasma rifle is very risky since many MP games are decided with raid/capturing actions...
you mean like all of my single player games?

Yxklyx

Postby Yxklyx » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:49 am

Plasma cannon is more more accurate since it also has continuous mod and no autofire (contrary to phasors). But it really takes a lot of space and has no pd mod. Also not taking good gc tech like plasma rifle is very risky since many MP games are decided with raid/capturing actions...So phasors are my choice :)
I've been sticking with PCs recently but Phasors have Shield Piercing and PCs don't right. Autofiring Shield Piercing Phasors slice through opponent fleets very nicely.

Time

Postby Time » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:03 pm

Yes, It all depends on the foe.
If they have lousy shields, then plasmacannons will take care of them quickly. And the opposite for phasors.

Also, remember Hard-Shields block shield-piercing weapons.
Though, I don't remember ever seeing a comp use them.
MOO1 Fan, MOO2 Fan, MOO3 needed too many changes = hopeless, getting older waiting for a MOO4 (still).

marhawkman

Postby marhawkman » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:32 pm

Yes, It all depends on the foe.
If they have lousy shields, then plasmacannons will take care of them quickly. And the opposite for phasors.

Also, remember Hard-Shields block shield-piercing weapons.
Though, I don't remember ever seeing a comp use them.
I've noticed that comps have very strong preferences when it comes to techs. they probably choose the Hardshields only if they have no choice.

DJ

Postby DJ » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:37 am

Plasma cannon is ultimate. Try this scenario :
player 1: fleet with Phazors batlleships(15)
player 2: batlleships(15) with only HV Plasma cannon's

player 1: moves first ... after attack 1 maybe 2 battleships destroyed
player 2: moves first ... after attack 5 or 8 battleships destroyed

Buddenbrook

Postby Buddenbrook » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:41 pm

Plasma cannon is ultimate. Try this scenario :
player 1: fleet with Phazors batlleships(15)
player 2: batlleships(15) with only HV Plasma cannon's

player 1: moves first ... after attack 1 maybe 2 battleships destroyed
player 2: moves first ... after attack 5 or 8 battleships destroyed
It depends whether you have hard shields on or not. Take a look at your enemy from the diplomacy room, if he doesn't have hard shields researched, phasors are definitely your choice. Shield piercing phasors are a late game killer against opponents with no hard shields. Similarly if your opponent doesn't have phasor researched (or particle beam) you won't have to trouble with hard shields, and can pick something else instead on your ships.

When you have gone through that field, it's also debatable whether disrupters or plasma cannons are the most effective beam against well equipped opponents. But both are stronger than particle beam, mauler device or death ray (unless you go for raid/capture).

Yxklyx

Postby Yxklyx » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:03 am

Still, is Shield Piercing all that great - especially when the shields go down very fast to begin with? Sure, the first one or two plasma cannons will only hit the shields but from then on, the plasma cannons will do much more damage than the shield piercing weapons.

StepNRazor

PC

Postby StepNRazor » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:47 pm

Phasor is more practical, but a Plasma cannon is a lot more fun =)

Get close and fire you PC's then you wont need to wonder anymore which is better.

PC need a CO mod to do well, also sometimes I take Range master so I dont have to get as close.

PC are space hogs and tack on a range master and your have even less.

PC do not have shield pireceing weapons but then agin they can drop a C7 prety quick.
SP Phasors are nice until hvy shields then the fun is over.

But these techs are mostly only achieved in DemoDict or difficult choice mods games. but to use em when ya got em. I have even on rare ocasion put the hurt down in mp with PC's.

Plasma web dd's are a fun to.

Time

Postby Time » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:40 pm

I don't play alot of small map multi-human games anymore.
On a Huge Map, one usually has the time to get to PCs, and with Moletronic Computer and continuous mods, on Titans with Auto Repair and Class 5 (or better) Shields and Shield Capacitors, PCs rock!
If my foe attacked me with those shield piercing phasors, I would add a few Hard-Shield version ships out there, but, the firepower is in plasma.
Plasma web dd's are a fun to.
They have nice special effects, but, I rarely get those unless I chose Creative, or capture/steal such technology. The longer ranged Heavy Disrs usually eliminate that threat anyway. Other Hvy cont. Beams too.

If Webs did more damage for the space they comsume, and there was an appropiate counter (say, lightening field) then an entire race concept could be developed around this technology (We could call them Tholians, for example). :wink: :)

Return to “General Discussion”