DOS vs WIndows Version

General discussion. Please use this area for any off-topic discussion.
Yxklyx
DOS vs WIndows Version

Postby Yxklyx » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:57 am

I played a lot (Windows version) a long time ago and now want to start again - Gal Civ 2 is disappointing.

So I have the original CD for MOO2 and I have some questions:

What differences are there between the DOS and Windows version? Any interface differences? Rule differences?

Is the DOS version also on the MOO2 WIndows version CD?

Can I run the DOS version on WIndows XP?

Version 1.4 only patches the DOS version right? It takes care of the surplus production to money bug right?

What exactly is DOSbox? Is it worthwhile using if I'm only playing in SP.

OhWell

Postby OhWell » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:35 pm

The main difference between both versions is that 1.4 patch only applies to the DOS one. Gameplay and interface are identical.

If you want to use the DOS version under XP, you will need DOSBox. It emulates an entire DOS computer, including sound and networking.

I recommended using the Dfend front end along with DOSBox, as it comes with very helpful wizards to set up your games.

Is it worth it, if you are only interested in single player? Well, that depends on how much you value the 1.4 patch! I would generally suggest to give it a try, if you have at least minor computer skills.

DOSBox takes maybe 15 minutes to download, install and set up. In return, you get the best MoO2 experience. One thing i like about DOSBox is that you can run games in window mode; very convenient if you like to multitask!

Yxklyx

Postby Yxklyx » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:28 am

Thanks. I got it working using this site as a guide:

http://lordbrazen.blogspot.com/2005/01/ ... 40-on.html

I think my computer is running Windows XP Media Center. I didn't have to use DosBox.

1. Ran install off of the CD.
2. Copied entire contents from CD.
3. Edited the CD file for the location (to avoid CD check).
4. Installed 1.31
5. Installed 1.4

Disabled the music because it's too choppy. Does DOSBox fix the music issue?

I now see that money is much more important an issue than in the past with that major bug fix in 1.4!

Return to “General Discussion”