Subterran vs. Aquatic

General discussion. Please use this area for any off-topic discussion.
Helios
Subterran vs. Aquatic

Postby Helios » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:29 am

Hello

Before i found this forum i played a lot this race:

Unification
Subterran
Industry +2
Rich Home World

(Negative picks is not important here)

In Strategy Guide (really useful btw.) i found race that is really close to mine -

Unification
Aquatic
Industry +2
Rich Home World
Large Home World

So, the really difference is Aquatic, after i read some guides and do some tests i still prefer Subterran,
Yes, you can say - its your choice and it's a lot ways to play this game but im curious - why people like aquatic that much? For me its mainly more food vs more max pop.

I have few questions:
1.Can any of experienced players give me pros/cons of Aquatic and Subterran that i missed?
2.What do you think about this race: UniAqua+2prod+1Tech?

Please keep in mind that im not a 1v1 player, i usually play with 2-3 friends and computer players on large/huge, advanced tech, average planets.

Thanks in advance for any answers and ideas.
Helios.

Matthew

Postby Matthew » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:57 am

The Aquatic food bonus means that you can more easily go with cloning instead of soil enhancement so you can grow the pop quicker. I haven't worked this out on a spreadsheet but pop seems to grow twice as fast if you do aquatic+cloning vs sub+soil.

Staffa

Postby Staffa » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:49 pm

Playing advanced tech, subterrian would be better then aquatic. Population counts for a lot in advanced tech and the way advanced tech works you need a high pop potential.

Playing average-prewarp, aquatic is better because of the much faster start of only needing 2 farmers.

Try it, compare how long it takes to build say a star base or research any tech with the two different builds at the start of a prewarp or average game.

About the +1 research, again, if you start advanced tech where you already have multiple colonies, I could understand why you would do that. But if you start off with 1 colony, having it rich and large again makes you start off a lot faster then otherwise.

PK

hello Staffa

Postby PK » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:51 pm

Hi Staffa!

I am so happy to see you after years again.

Will you play with us or just chat? Most players are on irc chat now. Kali is nearly abandoned.
PK

StepNRazor

Postby StepNRazor » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:30 pm

Map modifiers are also important.
In original Moo2 no map mod I played and chose SubT over Aqua for more posible pop.
But now with some of the map mods. Goodmap or Goodmap#, Aqua is the clear choice.
I would recomend if you are not playing with some of the map mods to give them a try, the ones with # at the end denote number of collonies per sys for balance.
Be sure to give Decent Rocks3 a go also.

Return to “General Discussion”