Rebuilding MOO2

General discussion. Please use this area for any off-topic discussion.
ix-ir
Rebuilding MOO2

Postby ix-ir » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:45 am

Coming from the Quake 3 community I'm surprised that this community hasn't rebuilt MOO2 yet. Get on with it. -_-

It would provide a great opportunity to not only rebuild the original but tweak the tech tree and expand the single player to include new ideas like Ring worlds, Dyson spheres and giant Culture-esque ships.

Matthew

Re: Rebuilding MOO2

Postby Matthew » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:17 am

Coming from the Quake 3 community I'm surprised that this community hasn't rebuilt MOO2 yet. Get on with it. -_-

It would provide a great opportunity to not only rebuild the original but tweak the tech tree and expand the single player to include new ideas like Ring worlds, Dyson spheres and giant Culture-esque ships.
Easier said than done. Id helped the Quake 3 community by releasing the source code. With MOO2 about the only option is to reverse engineer it. This is a very tedious task that requires a high level of skill with assembly language.

ix-ir

Postby ix-ir » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:13 am

I don't mean build on the MOO2 code, I mean use another engine like the Quake 3 one and build it from scratch, the community seems to know most of the gameplay values.

Matthew

Postby Matthew » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:08 am

I don't mean build on the MOO2 code, I mean use another engine like the Quake 3 one and build it from scratch, the community seems to know most of the gameplay values.
It would be interesting to see a first-person shooter that was based on MOO2. I don't think the Quake 3 engine would be to great for a strategy game. It may actually be easier to create a remake based on MOO2 than to reverse engineer MOO2.
Last edited by Matthew on Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ix-ir

Postby ix-ir » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:14 am

The Quake 3 engine is just an example but I do not mean making a FPS, the Quake 3 engine can shuffle icons about in 2D perfectly well.

Matthew

Postby Matthew » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:41 pm

The Quake 3 engine is just an example but I do not mean making a FPS, the Quake 3 engine can shuffle icons about in 2D perfectly well.
It might actually be even more interesting to see what kind of game Id software would make if they had the MOO2 license.

Return to “General Discussion”