Good replacement for MoO2

General discussion. Please use this area for any off-topic discussion.
tehashi
Good replacement for MoO2

Postby tehashi » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:36 pm

Hello, i am sorry if what i say may seem sacrilegious, it is not meant to be :-j

What I was wondering is if anyone knew of any 4x games that would be a good replacement for someone who likes MoO2. I have been playing since about 1997 and would like to play another one that is as addicting and as good as MoO2, but so far all the ones I have tried were not too fun or satisfactory.

I have tried the SotS demo and was underwhealmed, especially at the combat. MoO3 seemed like a playable spreadsheet more than anything to me. GalCiv2 DL seamed ok, aside from it seeming like it took forever for a player to do anything while the computer flew through it.

Are there any others that would be good to try? Please let me know if you can think of any.

ALEX|D

Postby ALEX|D » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:19 pm

... searching since 3-4 years for a moo2like game ... it´s near senceless ... moo2 is the best one imho.

Race- and Shipdesign plus the techfields make it soo superior ... !

Matthew

Postby Matthew » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:41 am

You might try Sid Meier's Civilization IV. It's 4x and pretty good. It's not 4x space though but modable enough that you could do a total coversion to 4x space if you wanted to. Aside from MOO2, it's all I play. I might get into Medieval II: Total War. It's not exactly 4x but it is an engaging strategy game and has RTS battles in 3D. There is a demo for it.

Time

Postby Time » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:58 pm

I think I have found the best alternative to MOO2: Spaceciv.com
http://www.spaceciv.com/

It is a multiplayer civilization game in space. At the website, click screenshots, the scroll down about 1 page. You'll notice a screen that looks like civ/MOO2. It shows food/prod/sci/money earned per planet.
It has the different colors for each empire, trade teaties, alliances, ship design section, tech tree (including techs such as automated factory, tachyon scanner, ion-pulse cannon, cloaking device, proton torpedo, anti-matter bomb, etc. sound familiar?).

I have tried to find others like MOO2, none compare to it.
MOO1 Fan, MOO2 Fan, MOO3 needed too many changes = hopeless, getting older waiting for a MOO4 (still).

Matthew

Postby Matthew » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:10 pm

I think I have found the best alternative to MOO2: Spaceciv.com
http://www.spaceciv.com/

It is a multiplayer civilization game in space. At the website, click screenshots, the scroll down about 1 page. You'll notice a screen that looks like civ/MOO2. It shows food/prod/sci/money earned per planet.
It has the different colors for each empire, trade teaties, alliances, ship design section, tech tree (including techs such as automated factory, tachyon scanner, ion-pulse cannon, cloaking device, proton torpedo, anti-matter bomb, etc. sound familiar?).

I have tried to find others like MOO2, none compare to it.
Interesting. I don't see how a 4X game would work for a Massive Multiplayer. What would probably happen is one or two players would build up massive empires and new comers wouldn't stand a chance. That type of thing was common with Tradewars but it was a fun game.

Time

Postby Time » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:03 pm

I am still in the demo phase, but, It sounds like the www.astrowars.com style of play. Where there is a start day/time, and everyone trys to start as soon as possible. If many start at one time, then there is a level playing field for those players, compared to others who start 1 month later. Remember the planets have random stats for food/prod/res. so you could start earliy, but, find poor planets in your starting system, and have to expand quickly to keep up.
Similar problem as MOO2.

I believe I saw Food/Prod/Sci ranges from 2-4 per pop. per planet.
MOO1 Fan, MOO2 Fan, MOO3 needed too many changes = hopeless, getting older waiting for a MOO4 (still).

randomagain

Postby randomagain » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:29 am

there are a few spora clones out there, they have their following

spaceciv, starting 1 month late in a galaxy, is late... but there is rep system to enable smaller players to survive (theres more than 1 galaxy)

they've added selectable Home World planets so less start-luck involved

MoO is solid,

Return to “General Discussion”