MOO II long play mod

General discussion. Please use this area for any off-topic discussion.
ltfoxfire
MOO II long play mod

Postby ltfoxfire » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:37 pm

Perhaps I’m a sadist but the tech tree researches too quick. The mod I made was using the final patch my microprose and just exiting the tech tree points.

Some people like to dominate, amass forces with superior tech and rule. I like longevity and strategy. My modification has increased the research points x3. For some reason the Stellar Converter can no longer be built planet side or mounted on a ship, but most games I play, don’t last that long to research DoomStars either.

This constrains a player to either expand against the repulsive races quickly and hold on to territory, or be diplomatic with everyone. For me, it’s exciting to pit a focused battleship against two titans and win. AP AF mass drivers save my rear every time. Battles consist of having to use weapons like missiles or several non-modded weapons. Choosing between first strike away from the base, or risk losing your star base while you’re building something.

I also play on a tiny impossible organic rich universe. Less rich and ultra rich planets and battles for those few guarded gaia planets and Rich toxic ones become quite fun. The NPCs have a hard time with it too. They may be able to have titans before you do, but they are poorly equipped and can fall to a well build Battleship boat.

By the way, the pattern of a race asking you to ally with them, then ask you to go to war with their enemy, then the next turn they make peace with their enemy, you cant make peace with the one you just went to war against, and your “ally” seems to go to war with you because they are now the ally of their former enemy, is rather upsetting. I never ally as a result.
Antarans are difficult to defend again, especially if the game starts attacking you with them as if you’re the only race in the galaxy. The moment you get tractor beams they fall into the self-destruct pattern and are no longer a problem.

So that’s my little mod.

I always wished there was a way to “save a race,” as they are being annihilated. Say if you have two planets full of Alkari and they get killed by another. You could release those two planets to restart the race. Their diplomacy with you would always be ally unless you attacked them and they would attack who ever you’re at war with. I can dream can’t I?
If you have a car that can go the speed of light, don't bother turning the headlights on.

Maskk

Re: MOO II long play mod

Postby Maskk » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:05 pm

Perhaps I’m a sadist but the tech tree researches too quick. The mod I made was using the final patch my microprose and just exiting the tech tree points.

Some people like to dominate, amass forces with superior tech and rule. I like longevity and strategy. My modification has increased the research points x3. For some reason the Stellar Converter can no longer be built planet side or mounted on a ship, but most games I play, don’t last that long to research DoomStars either.

This constrains a player to either expand against the repulsive races quickly and hold on to territory, or be diplomatic with everyone. For me, it’s exciting to pit a focused battleship against two titans and win. AP AF mass drivers save my rear every time. Battles consist of having to use weapons like missiles or several non-modded weapons. Choosing between first strike away from the base, or risk losing your star base while you’re building something.

I also play on a tiny impossible organic rich universe. Less rich and ultra rich planets and battles for those few guarded gaia planets and Rich toxic ones become quite fun. The NPCs have a hard time with it too. They may be able to have titans before you do, but they are poorly equipped and can fall to a well build Battleship boat.

By the way, the pattern of a race asking you to ally with them, then ask you to go to war with their enemy, then the next turn they make peace with their enemy, you cant make peace with the one you just went to war against, and your “ally” seems to go to war with you because they are now the ally of their former enemy, is rather upsetting. I never ally as a result.
Antarans are difficult to defend again, especially if the game starts attacking you with them as if you’re the only race in the galaxy. The moment you get tractor beams they fall into the self-destruct pattern and are no longer a problem.

So that’s my little mod.

I always wished there was a way to “save a race,” as they are being annihilated. Say if you have two planets full of Alkari and they get killed by another. You could release those two planets to restart the race. Their diplomacy with you would always be ally unless you attacked them and they would attack who ever you’re at war with. I can dream can’t I?

Hi! I also like long plays. The main difference b/t your preferred setup and mine is that I like to play on Huge universes. I also found there to be a huge problem in the tech tree researching, and I find the problem is mainly in the back techs (it takes 10-20 turns to learn the early techs and like 2 turns to learn the back techs); so I massively slowed the back techs. However, I went further than you did and:
1) Took a stab at rebalancing the race picks--making many things more workable
1a) Maxxed out every AI race setup with something worth playing (makes them all better)
2) Attempt to rebalance the weapons so that Interceptors, Missiles, and Torpedoes become a worthwhile weapon choice (massive beef-up of bombers, heavy fighters, and torpedoes + a general increase in ship defense, esp late-game armor)
3) Rework the tech tree a bit to both rebalance some of the race choices as well as try to add some balance and fun to the weapons/races
3a) Research Lab and Auto Factory are both singletons. This helps uncreative races and the AI who used to sometimes make the wrong choice at that critical stage.
3b) Phase Cloak got pulled out and phase shifter put is to get rid of invincible ships
4) Beefed up Orions + Gaardian (not yet beefy enough--I give them more wheaties every game I play)
4a) Move the dimensional portal way back the tech tree and made it far more expensive (I may move it to the very end)
5) Added a couple pop points to all planet sizes, and allowed a few more people on some of the less habitable terrains. For fun, I also added some small upkeep costs to many of the habitability types. The upward pop massively assists the AI, who works far better when planets are larger. This also has the side affect of helping balance Subterranean, whose benefits become slightly more marginal.

Februarius

Re: MOO II long play mod

Postby Februarius » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:39 am

I also like to play long scenarios, and I tend to play with slow expansion, focusing more on diplomacy and R&D. No fun for me in quick wins. I did something similar with research. But I used exponential growth of values. If I recall correctly I used exponent of 1,12. This resulted in slight cost increase of early techs, while late techs increased about 3 times. I think this is much more refined way as it doesn't slow game flow in the early phase.

You can read about this here:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1487

I would like to know hom much did you increased late techs, and how was your gaming experience with this change? Also can you tell me what tool you used to change galaxy/planet settings? I would like to make my univeres a little bit harsh and hostile place.

I would be very insterested I playing game with your modification, as you describeing exactly what I like and don't like. Could you please upload modified files so I can test your mod?

Return to “General Discussion”