Space game development by Mojang

General discussion. Please use this area for any off-topic discussion.
Dagoth
Space game development by Mojang

Postby Dagoth » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:44 am

As a fan of MoO series I was excited to hear about independent developer Mojang (known for highly successful Minecraft) starting to work on a new game in a space exploring-battling theme.
Check out it's backstory and features (taken from http://0x10c.com)
[quote]In a parallel universe where the space race never ended, space travel was gaining popularity amongst corporations and rich individuals.

In 1988, a brand new deep sleep cell was released, compatible with all popular 16 bit computers. Unfortunately, it used big endian, whereas the DCPU-16 specifications called for little endian. This led to a severe bug in the included drivers, causing a requested sleep of 0x0000 0000 0000 0001 years to last for 0x0001 0000 0000 0000 years.

It's now the year 281 474 976 712 644 AD, and the first lost people are starting to wake up to a universe on the brink of extinction, with all remote galaxies forever lost to red shift, star formation long since ended, and massive black holes dominating the galaxy[/quote]
[quote]The game is still very early in development, but here is a list of things we hope to include:

Hard science fiction.
Lots of engineering.
Fully working computer system.
Space battles against the AI or other players.
Abandoned ships full of loot.
Duct tape!
Seamlessly landing on planets.
Advanced economy system.
Random encounters.
Mining, trading, and looting.
Single and multi player connected via the multiverse. [/quote]

The work is currently in early stage in development, and I think that the final outcome might bring similiar form of gameplay, which I (or you as well) loved MoO for.

Why I point this game out is not only that I feel it might be worth attention for a MoO fan, there's also fact that the development is supposed to be made in cooperation with players. Such way of interactive dev has made already one quite successful game from that company and it's popularity keeps growing. I wish such success could be achieved with this new project, because Master of Orion had created a great gaming genre which just waits for somebody to bring it a step forward.

Dagoth

Return to “General Discussion”