Cybernetic and aut. repair system

General discussion. Please use this area for any off-topic discussion.
aevil
Cybernetic and aut. repair system

Postby aevil » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:23 am

Hey, nice to see that there is still some community fr this great game :)

I recently played a mod that improves the armor/structural integrity to nearly ridiculous levels, so i that the tech mentioned in the topic would be more beneficial. But does anybody know if they are cumulative? The manual istn helpful there.

ALEX|D

Postby ALEX|D » Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:48 pm

U should test it by starting a hostseat game

1 race noncybernetic

1 race cybernetic

use "einstein" cheat, equip both ships with aut. rep. sys and make a battle.

Brent15

Cumulative Repair

Postby Brent15 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:35 pm

Based on my testing, yes! :D The Cybernetic racepick is not out-dated by the advent of the Automated Repair System. In my testing, all other things being equal, a cybernetic ship with the Automated Repair System will receive 1/3 more armor repair than its counter parts.

aevil

Postby aevil » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:52 am

Thank you :)
I imagine its still pretty useless in normal games ;)

ALEX|D

Postby ALEX|D » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:34 pm

cybernetic should be at least 1-2 picks not 4

aevil

Postby aevil » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:39 pm

Yes it is pretty useless, like feudalism or such, but it fits well into the sci-fi setting.

Brutalisk

Postby Brutalisk » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:16 am

It's not pointless. The true problem is that "the players" simply set up the game-settings to favour production races (and ofcourse uni-tol is by far the strongest production race).

If you alter the game-settings for a multiplayer game, all of a sudden "obsolete" picks such as cybernetic do come into play.

In other words, some of these picks are only made redundant by the persistent game-settings that the players adhere to.

Before people start protesting, just remember one of the simplest of examples to support the above: "no wormholes" eh?

Cabman

Postby Cabman » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:05 am

I can't agree with you. About half of games I play(and I play a lot) are with wormholes. And everyone of them is with tol ban. So these two examplae doesn't fit to you'r theory :).

siron

Postby siron » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:12 pm

Brutal was very active in 2004 and nowh switch was quite new and very popular. Roundabout 95 percent of games were nowh then.

Iirc it is not the first time Brutal mention the nowh issue......but he has a wrong impression about our preferred setups now and iirc I told him this already. I play roundabout 90-95 percent of my games with whs. Zirkahn too or even more....well....Zirkahn is in many many 4ways....so I think at least 50 percent are with whs now.

Brutalisk

Postby Brutalisk » Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:26 pm

Wormholes is one example gents. Wormholes for example can make "quick strike" races more viable. I didn't want to go into depth. There are other attributes as well that can help non uni-tol races (or to put it in other words, hinder production races)

I don't think at any point in time in the above post, did i understate how strong uni-tol is. In terms of moo experience, i've been playing since .... the "TEN era".

All I'm saying is, that often "game settings" are part of the problem and if people were more willing to play with varying settings, then other races would also have better odds. :) Yes, I'm aware some players do play all kinds of game-settings, most players don't. ;)

Anyway, at the moment I'm plagued with an ISP problem and I can't play MMMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... :( :cry:

siron

Postby siron » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:58 pm

Wormholes is one example gents.
An example. But no good example. More a cliche. I prefer large org rich gal with whs and 4ways. IMHO the setup with the best balance between prod-tech and blitz races.
All I'm saying is, that often "game settings" are part of the problem and if people were more willing to play with varying settings, then other races would also have better odds. :) Yes, I'm aware some players do play all kinds of game-settings, most players don't. ;)
So what settings do u have in mind with your cybernetic? Advanced I assume? I think in pre or average it suxx. And even in advanced I am not sure.
Anyway, at the moment I'm plagued with an ISP problem and I can't play MMMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... :( :cry:
:(

ALEX|D

Postby ALEX|D » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:38 am

In a game where

* uni
* demo
* missiles
* shields
* ship defence

r banned, cybernetic would be an option ... !

Jaded Tortoise

Postby Jaded Tortoise » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:19 pm

Cyber unfortunately is only good in a vs.comp game as AI splits its shots between multiple targets and odds are unless they have overwhelming force your ships will live for multiple turns. On the other hand the + to repair won't take affect vs. players unless your force is far superior to begin with as they will attack a single ship till it dies then move onto the next in almost all cases.

The repair between battles can be slightly useful but only in early game blitzing and even then minor.

The half food by production could be useful as you get far more production per worker than food which means you need less farmers. This still is totally blasted away by lithovore though and you need decent pollution control or tolerant or its fairly useless.

It does become very useful again if you can aquire damper fields but orion is for good reason outlawed in most multiplayer games I believe and even if it was techable it'd be so late game noone would get to it anyway. So yeah cyber unfortunately just suxxx in multi.

Time

Postby Time » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:00 pm

A cyber player needs High Defenses all around to prevent each ship from being destroyed before being permitted time to repair. You will have reduced firepower, so you will need an extra ship to make up for it. Aug Engines and/or Teleporter, plus TransD. to run away from missiles while repairing. Best used on Battleships, Titans and Doom Stars.

As far as cyber vs Lith., of course Lith is better, but, it will cost more. If one is looking for a cheap work around, Cyber and +1 Prod, only cost (7) picks, and you can still choose 2 expensive picks, like (6) Uni, (7) +50 Ship Def.. Test that! (6) Subt. is also a possibility.
MOO1 Fan, MOO2 Fan, MOO3 needed too many changes = hopeless, getting older waiting for a MOO4 (still).

Time

Postby Time » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:08 pm

Anyone know how a Cynoid race would do in moo2?

Something like:
Uni, Prod+2, Cyber, Fan. Traders

Supposedly it's the best race in moo3.

The cash flow from the reduced food consumption, and extra food produced, should be nice. The usual prod. problem with cyber races shouldn't hinder it, since you can buy more buildings/ships, and the prod. isn't bad to begin with.
MOO1 Fan, MOO2 Fan, MOO3 needed too many changes = hopeless, getting older waiting for a MOO4 (still).

Return to “General Discussion”