Games we enjoy and play

General discussion. Please use this area for any off-topic discussion.
Matthew

Postby Matthew » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:49 am

Lately, I've mostly been playing Civ IV and the Warlords expansion for Civ IV. It's fun in single player mode and there's online competitive play if you're into that. The game just has a very polished feel to it and it's challenging enough if you play at the higher levels. I'm comfortable with Emperor level now on a standard setup. Have beaten Deity once on a duel map.

If they patch Sword of the Stars to a more playable state, I might try it.

shakka

Postby shakka » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:25 am

you should really check out the populous reicarnated matchmaker it could be a good template

tjr

Postby tjr » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:07 pm

In the old days I used to play Commander Keen 4&6, Orion 1, Descent, Doom 1 & 2, Colonization whenever a friend would let me.

Some years later, when I finally got a Pentium 166, I of course overindulged in these games. Then I quickly changed to Linux for several years (don't play that unless you have infinite time and a very high frustration tolerance).

Only recently did I re-discover Orion and Orion 2 made possible by Q(emu). Predictably, I had my binge again. However, I never got Win95b to reconize the NIC, no luck going online...

Skandery

Favorites

Postby Skandery » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:52 pm

Masters of Orion II is my favorite game of all time. Computer or console. I'm glad I've discovered an active community.

...but to stay on topic -- these are a couple of games I've really enjoyed for PC:

Civilization I
Civilization II
Civilization III
Civilization IV (<-- my favorite)

Warcraft II
Warcraft III (ROC and TFN)

Starcraft (and Brood War)

Dungeon Keeper 2

The Sims (DE)

Star Trek: Birth of the Federation

Total Annihilation

Wing Commander 1
Wing Commander 2
Wing Commander Academy
Wing Commander 3: Heart of the Tiger
Wing Commander Armada (<-- my favorite)
Wing Commander 4: The Price of Freedom
Wing Commander 5: Prophecy

Rome: Total War

Age of Empires I

Star Control I

...and last but not least

Star Control II: The Ur-Quan Masters which is a hair under MOO II for best game - all time. (it was awesome that it was referenced earlier)
...for a while I was thinking women, drinking, and debauchery. I forgot I was speaking to Minbari...this, by you, is a 'good time', is it? -- Londo Mollari

OhWell

Postby OhWell » Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:21 pm

I am currently playing Master of Magic, Fifa98, Enemy Territory and the odd game of Civ2 (besides Master of Orion 2, of course!).
There are quite a few things about Civ4 that i thoroughly dislike (AI going exclusively after Space Victory, ridiculous War Weariness, ...), so it failed to draw me in.
Of course i have played many more games, and the ones mentioned above are not necessarily among my favourite ones, but there are just too many to list them all!

Yxklyx

Postby Yxklyx » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:33 am

I haven't been gaming much lately because many of the new games don't interest me.

Some of my favorites:

XCOM, XCOM 2 (haven't played in years)
Quake, Far Cry, Half Life, Doom 2
Jagged Alliance, Jagged Alliance 2
MOO, MOO 2
CIV, CIV 2 (didn't like CIV 3)
HOMM 3
The Sims

never got into MOM

etc....

Return to “General Discussion”