MOO2 stability

General discussion. Please use this area for any off-topic discussion.
trixx
MOO2 stability

Postby trixx » Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:55 pm

Hi,

I found recently this forum and I am still amazed by the big community built around MOO2 online gaming. I've played a lot of single-player MOO2, and a few LAN games. I have never played online yet.

Something that we (my LAN friends and me) found very annoying is the unstability of the game. Even with the latest patch (1.31 at the time) it crashed quite frecuently, with the DOS and Windows versions (the DOS version worked a little better). We also found it quite slow, specially the end of turn waits after all players finished the turn, even in high end machines (which is quite surprising remembering that MOO2 ran fine single-player in a 486).

That reason made very hard for us to play more frequently, so the surprise was big when I found this and saw that there was online activity. So, my questions are:

Am I doing something wrong and MOO2 is more unstable for me than for the average guy? Do you have any advice for more stable, faster MOO2 games (LAN or online)? Is there any way to make MOO2 run faster?

thx, and happy new year!

ALEX|D

Postby ALEX|D » Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:08 pm

Am I doing something wrong and MOO2 is more unstable for me than for the average guy? Do you have any advice for more stable, faster MOO2 games (LAN or online)? Is there any way to make MOO2 run faster?
To get MoO2 runnin online.

U should use 1.4 patch in DOS mode.

Further I saw noone around here who had a problem with Nvidia-Video-Cards, ATI seems to suck around the DOS version of moo2.

If u wanna host some X-Ways u should have a DSL-Line with huge up- and download capacity. The Ping is also important, if u play with guys all around the world the game is slow too. If u were close to someone there will be less lag.

Maybe this will help, trixx. I would be glad about a feedback ... !

siron

Postby siron » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:57 pm

speed of dos version should be ok in LAN. I just remember that the win version was even in LAN pure horror.

stability....there are lots of bugs..(see bug list thread)...LB fixed many of them or there is a simple workaround when you know them.

Further, LBs shortcut should have the optimal settings for most players....

(I had a lot of crashes because my conventional memory was not protected. Since I fixed this I played a lot of games without any crash.)

Time

Postby Time » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:32 pm

"I had a lot of crashes because my conventional memory was not protected."
This might be happening to me.

I have been playing hotseat offline, introducing my favorite game MOO2 to a new generation. I am using the DOS verion, have the 1.40 patch, and have the game installed on the hard drive. I do run this on Win XP.
If the above error is what is crashing the game (after only a few turns, then reboots), then I'll need that bug fix. I'll check the bug fix section. Thanks.
MOO1 Fan, MOO2 Fan, MOO3 needed too many changes = hopeless, getting older waiting for a MOO4 (still).

Return to “General Discussion”