Brown Stars?

General discussion. Please use this area for any off-topic discussion.
Daethar
Brown Stars?

Postby Daethar » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:04 am

Hey, first time poster here, to this site, seemingly the only still-going forum for MOO2.

And so I have a question.
I was opening my strat guide to check on what gold deposits actually did (yeah I forgot, how sad), and came across the "formulae for determining satellites in a system" with die rolls and all. And then I took a long look at Brown Stars, which apparently, though they can get an abundant rating on a satellite, can never actually come with a satellite.
This disappointed me, because the game says that they rarely have plantes, not that they never do.
In any case, I was wondering if this has been changed in one of the versions of MOO2, and also if anyone has access to an up-to-date probability chart for the whole star class:satellites deal.

Retsia

Postby Retsia » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:57 pm

Yeah....I have no idea what you are talking about. What is this satellite jibber-jabber?

Somebody?

Brent15

Postby Brent15 » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:42 pm

Yeah....I have no idea what you are talking about. What is this satellite jibber-jabber?
I'm certain he is refering to an orbiting celestial body. . . or a planet. :wink:

To Daethar:

Welcome to the forums, from a fellow newbie,
Brown dwarves are barely stars. These dim cold suns have either burnt out all of their nuclear fuel or just never had the resources to shine in the first place. No planets orbit these extremely rare stars, but they're more likely than normal systems to have a system special.
I don't have the stategy guide but I thought I would offer the above.
In any case, I was wondering if this has been changed in one of the versions of MOO2, and also if anyone has access to an up-to-date probability chart for the whole star class:satellites deal.
As far as I know, it has not changed and I haven't seen a probability chart old or new. However, I will have to leave the definitive answers to one of the more experienced members.

Daethar

Postby Daethar » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:01 am

Thanks for the info, Brent. I'm just hoping against hope, is all.

And Retsia, no intention to confuse, but there seemed to be no fitting place on the Moo2 specific sections, soooo :)

StepNRazor

Postby StepNRazor » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:02 am

Brown star's are almostr always empties devoid of any satellite, (Colony/Planets, Gas Giants, Astroids), but every now and then they will have soemthing. Likewise sometimes other colored stars can be empties as well.
One of Sirons mod versons of the game changes the base size of planets by changeing the size of gia's take a look at his site(http://masteroforion2.blogspot.com/) LB as has switches in his patch to effect the colonies of the hoem system.

trixx

Map generator statistics

Postby trixx » Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:09 pm

Some time ago I gathered extensive statistics about the map generator. I can publish them here if you like or are interested. I have to run them again because they might be slightly biased (I counted homeworlds, so probabilities for terran planets are slightly higher than what they should).

In particular, brown stars have 5% of having a planet in each of its orbits. If you do the math, that means about 77% of the time they will not have any planet. Note that by planet I mean anything in orbit, including asteroids or gas giants. Being that they brown stars are very rare (2.6% of all stars in an average aged galaxy), probably you won't see planets in them for several games. However, if you try a little and start several games, you will find eventually some planet there. If you gather some hundreds of map (like I did), you will see that they are usually bad planets (hostile climate, tundra or worse) with average mineral richness and gravity.

ALEX|D

Postby ALEX|D » Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:38 pm

can publish them here if you like or are interested.
plz publish them. thx !

Return to “General Discussion”