(Not another) MoO2 Remake!

General discussion. Please use this area for any off-topic discussion.
alexrok
(Not another) MoO2 Remake!

Postby alexrok » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:25 pm

Hello everyone!

I'm throwing my hat into the ring and also working on remaking moo2 for modern systems. Well, that's the starting point, anyway.

I am creating a game based very heavily on moo2 (more like how I wanted moo3 to be). This has been attempted a good half dozen or more times by other people in the past (based on my google searches), but as I am doing this purely for the fun of it for myself and a few friends, I will actually finish it. Not only do I have the time and motivation, but I am finding to be an excellent way to improve my programming skills.

I'm first rewriting moo2 from scratch in java, with the goal being to then have the source code available to modifying to my heart's content and transform it into the game that I and my friends are envisioning.

I've built a galaxy generator that simulates moo2 but I find that the results vary quite a bit from moo2's. There seems to be more going on than simple percentage chances. I'm basing my percentage chances on information at http://masteroforion2.blogspot.com/2006 ... rator.html as it seems to be the best resource I could find. I've figured out much from observation of moo2 games, but some of the generation routines are clearly off. It doesn't have to be perfect, but I know it can be much better.

I'm finding my own statistical investigations to be quite slow-paces because of the lack of efficient save-game analyzing tools. I could spend many hours learning to decode the save game format myself and build my own tools, but it seems that other (much smarter) people have already done this, and it seems a shame to try to reinvent the wheel in this case. That being said, I will probably do so if there's no one around who is able to help poor old me.

Does anyone who has gathered such statistics still read these forums? I'm obviously a newbie here, but am very keen on moo2, and still find it to be the one of my favorite games of all time. Again, I know many people have begun projects and promised moo2 remakes/tributes, but I'm going to deliver, damn it. Just you wait...

Overlord2

Re: (Not another) MoO2 Remake!

Postby Overlord2 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:31 pm

I'm obviously a newbie here, but am very keen on moo2, and still find it to be the one of my favorite games of all time. Again, I know many people have begun projects and promised moo2 remakes/tributes, but I'm going to deliver, damn it. Just you wait...
Wait till we grow so old, we are about to pass away....heeh
There are 5611 functions which are to be rewritten....if your aim is to create a moo2 clone. But first they should be interptreted....in Assembler. Are you good in assembler?

alexrok

Postby alexrok » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:58 pm

Finally, a reply :D

Thanks for writing ...

I apologize for not communicating my intentions very well. What I meant is that I am making a moo2-inspired game, but I am starting by first writing a moo2 close from scratch. It will not be exactly like moo2, because that is not my intention. I'm going this as a coding exercise and to prepare to make my own moo2-type game. It will simply be made to be pretty close to moo2. I'm not looking to rewrite it exactly from decompiled code.

For example, galaxy generating creates maps similar to how moo2 does, but not exactly. All the techs and traits will be exactly as in moo2. However, the formulae used to calculate various game mechanics will not be exactly the same, unless the exact equations are known. I'm not going to spend any time disassembling the original game (except to be able to use the original graphics and sounds). Another difference is that the save games are in xml.

I currently have the game complete up to galaxy generation complete and am just implementing the star system window now.

I'd be happy to release the code at some point. Would anyone care to check it out once its past a certain point? What point would it be worthwhile uploading for others to check out? If nobody cares I will probably just wait until it's complete (or substantially complete anyway)

Anyway let me know :) I like to hearing from people... especially people that are smarter than me (isn't too hard though..)

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:11 am

So you want to create a new game...I think it will be harder than to decode the moo2 and playability of the new game will be questionable... depends how good the game is. If you ask me, I am content with current moo2 and especially the VDC mod. I got all I wanted to see in moo. Making a new game is very difficult job, you need to think out many aspects of it, and the most difficult part is the game logic. Might be very labour-consuming and time-consuming. But I\d wish you goodluck, perhaps you achieve something good.
:wink:

alexrok

Postby alexrok » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:24 pm

For sure. The whole thing is primarily an exercise in programming and a fun project for me and my friends to work on. I will still probably post the package and source code at some point just to see what people think.

Cipherz_Orion

Postby Cipherz_Orion » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:30 pm

if it is to be a remake which is my personal intention then i would say to make the game more realistic..from communication between species, the tech obtaining making it actually teach you its relation like the way it exist in real life..ya know simulate the way it would be if we had our emperor seat in our computer chairs infront of the pc and making it where online can be very fun and that too lies extreme difficulty..i could even make the owner of the hayden planiturium my science advisor on the game lol need some backing here tho guys

orionrebirth

Orion Rebirth

Postby orionrebirth » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:59 pm

Hi Alexrok, Overlord2 and Cipherz_Orion

I dont know your progress alexrok in regards to developping the game.

However, Im starting the developement of a new Orion game. That will work on Iphone / Ipad, Android and if possible on Windows and Mac.

If your interested to join, give your opinion or follow up my work please visit my site at www.orionrebirth.com

This project cant be done by one person alone and it needs all the help we can get in order to make it work.

Devren

Update

Postby Devren » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:00 pm

Hey alex any news on your progress?
Are you still working, have you finished, or have you given up?

Return to “General Discussion”