going AI in a x-way

General discussion. Please use this area for any off-topic discussion.
ALEX|D
going AI in a x-way

Postby ALEX|D » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:12 pm

Some players go fast to AI, while others fight to last man if they were invaded.

Going fast AI is often determining for the end of x-ways, cos fighting AI is much more easier than fighting humans. I saw x-ways going "dead" cos of early AI.

I think we should make a rule for this cases too. Imho the player should play that long unitl the players calld a winner or own empire is down.

What do u think ?

siron

Postby siron » Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:34 am

How to sanction a guy who just gave up the game?! The only option is that we could harm his rating (i.e. the rating of his team in the StarLeague)

I made this proposal for the SL. But no feedback.

I see no use for a rule in an unrated game. It wont work for sure.

Gusset

Re: going AI in a x-way

Postby Gusset » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:54 am

Going fast AI is often determining for the end of x-ways, cos fighting AI is much more easier than fighting humans. I saw x-ways going "dead" cos of early AI.

I think we should make a rule for this cases too. Imho the player should play that long unitl the players calld a winner or own empire is down.
What about some sort of empire percentage? Maybe if a player has lost 1/3 of his population or planets, or some other amount, then they are considered "free" to leave.

Yes, it's ideal if a player stays to the last pop unit, because we all are aware that the invader will probably have to keep more ships in the area to finish the job than if the AI was at the controls. However keep in mind that you could be talking about potentially multiple hours. Once a game goes past a certain point the turns drag on even for players who are still "in" the game, let alone someone who knows they are out of it. There is a point where it is unreasonable to ask a player who has lost their high production planets to just watch the chat screen so they can make sure their little helpless DD kills any blockading scouts that happen along, or so they can ensure that the other guy has to attack with a BB instead of 2 DDs (because by this point they know they have no point of actually destroying any of their opponent's capital ships).

-Gusset

StepNRazor

Postby StepNRazor » Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:37 pm

How about some min num of t's to ai? say 5-10 or even ask in pre games aetting for num of t's prioror to ai'ing.
Say if a game has been agreed upon a 10 t ai bar, and defender looses his fleet he could then ai 10 turns later.
Same with a 5 t ai bar, I think this is a bit harsh imposing beyoud 10 turn and even 10 t's might seem like an eternity to a player without a fleet and little hope in rebuilding one. but it would give you enough time to make some problems a few op's and dd to wreck havok. but if you are jumped before battle tech and couldn't make a ship then 10 t's or longer is harsh.
So bear in mind pro's n cons.

Cabman

Postby Cabman » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:06 am

At least such player should build some spies, barracks on every planetand unload some transports to make invader's life harder (suggested by Alex in one of our disputes)

Gusset

Postby Gusset » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:03 pm

At least such player should build some spies, barracks on every planetand unload some transports to make invader's life harder (suggested by Alex in one of our disputes)
What about this: if a player decides to leave the game, they are permitted to use the ALT-CRUNCH cheat to accomplish this? ie spend a turn building barracks and transports on any planet that can, then unloading them, THEN quitting the game.

This could be abused, I'm sure, but maybe it's an idea that can be refined into something useable.

-Gusset

Cabman

Postby Cabman » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:44 pm

That would hurt invader. If there is only one pop and no factories on such planet? ... few turns won't be a problem for anyone :)

HooverDamned

Postby HooverDamned » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:26 pm

Heh... all these codifications. How about just telling the droppers (politely) that it's poor sportsmanship? It's hard to keep a fighting spirit when you're getting whipped, but make them prove it! Especially in an x-way. That's when it's time to practice diplomacy with the neutral players.

Too bad you can't run a peon into the corner and rebuild, like in Warcraft2. Once they've invaded your space (not just boarder skirmishes), you're pretty much going to stay in contact. So any hope of relocating your empire is gone.

Cabman

Postby Cabman » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:51 am

Heh. Yesterday Zeedlings whiped me out in t 55 with his tele bb. No need to build barracks. :D. I bailed after first fight :oops:

Brutalisk

Postby Brutalisk » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:47 pm

Very bad idea Gusset! :( It will definitely be abused!

How about we "name them and shame them"?

People who drop out should be added to a list... As for rated games, Siron's suggestion of harming the ratings both of the player and his team is appropriate.

Gusset

Postby Gusset » Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:56 am

Very bad idea Gusset! :( It will definitely be abused!

How about we "name them and shame them"?

People who drop out should be added to a list... As for rated games, Siron's suggestion of harming the ratings both of the player and his team is appropriate.
Please explain how it would be abused.

My feeling on the matter is basically this: there needs to be a balance between 1) extending a little grace and 2) keeping people from dropping too early for no good reason.

An x-way game of MOO2 is generally a 4-8 hour time commitment, and while I don't generally drop out of games at the drop of a hat, life is fluid, and for those of us with families, one sometimes has to weigh things. Often there are no issues with playing a losing situation to near completion, but a lot of real-life situations can change in 4 hours. Penalizing someone by putting their name on a list because they got hit by two opponents simultaneously and decided to drop because they'd rather spend time with the kids rather than sit and press turn/wait 3 minutes/repeat isn't my idea of equitable. A "hall of shame" would have to have a line somewhere to qualify, and different people would draw it in different places.

Don't think I am in favor of people dropping out too easily, though. Dropping because you don't like the map without even bothering to wait for contact with another player to verify the situation is something I personally frown upon, for instance.

I'm just trying to be a voice of moderation, and my suggestion of allowing a couple of turns of cheats before dropping is simply a way to make a dropped player less of an easy target, not an excuse for leaving...there are two issues, and the cheat suggestion is only aimed at one of them.

-Gusset

Return to “General Discussion”