Sword of the Stars

General discussion. Please use this area for any off-topic discussion.
siron

Postby siron » Mon May 08, 2006 6:48 pm

With Deep Regrets...

...I must inform all of you that, for market driven reasons, Lighthouse has decided to delay the north american release of SotS until it synchs up with the German/European release in August.

Retsia

Postby Retsia » Sun May 14, 2006 7:27 pm

Siron, you will send me a copy from europe?

I will pay well!

siron

Postby siron » Thu May 18, 2006 5:41 pm

Hmmm....strange...why are you interested in an European version when they are released simultaneously?

BTW.....Mecron mentioned that the WorldChampionship in Germany is one reason why the publisher Lighthouse decided to delay the release.

Matthew

Postby Matthew » Fri May 19, 2006 9:37 am

With Deep Regrets...

...I must inform all of you that, for market driven reasons, Lighthouse has decided to delay the north american release of SotS until it synchs up with the German/European release in August.

That can be a good thing. These days, publishers are too eager to ship unfinished products. A slight delay gives the developer more time to work out any bugs or design issues.

ALEX|D

Postby ALEX|D » Fri May 19, 2006 1:36 pm

That can be a good thing. These days, publishers are too eager to ship unfinished products. A slight delay gives the developer more time to work out any bugs or design issues.
But can be worse as well. When I think about MoO3 ... !

Lets hope the best :D !

ALEX|D

Postby ALEX|D » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:12 pm

Now I got the sots-demo since ~2 days and I´m searching the fun in this game ... !

1) U have no clue how strong missiles r compared to beams .. u just have these bars in the research section. Red lasers show more range than misslies, but in fights missiles have much more range so bars for missiles r differnt to bars of beam weapons. Most techs r like "more damage" here and "more growth" there ... ! Okay that would be patchable in the future.

2) The 3d-Fights r nice nice to see, but the problem is u can just move ur fleet. U set the course straight to ur enemy the other does the same ... shortly before they reach each other u set the course 180° back and the ships slidly pass each other and in the meantime they fire automatically ... not much u can do. Further ur ships love to shoot 12 missiles on a ships which needs maybe 2 hits of them ... ! These fights remind me about Birth of the Federation which has a very made fightsystem.

3) The eco part of the game is like moo1 u have bars u can put more money into reseach or into "savings" ... from the savings u can build ships. That part of the game is simple but I think its okay.

All in all sots insn´t an alternative to moo2 imho ... I hope I´ll find my fun in sots but I think that will be hard :(

siron

Postby siron » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:42 am

No idea, but could be that the demo-battles look a bit boring because there are just DDs. Havent tried it yet.....

Can you post a link to the demo?

Need no comp for that game .... not sure if it is necessary.....after what you have written it wont replace my moo2.

Time

Postby Time » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:58 pm

Here you go siron (and everyone else), all 227mb of it.

http://www.3dgamers.com/games/swordstars/downloads/
is one place to get it.

I tried it too.
:cry: I found the research section should have been made simpler.
You have to spin around to see the other techs available (I missed that on my first test).
:cry: I didn't see any race customization section, just 2 standard races in the demo.
:cry: I don't have a wheel on my mouse, so I was unable to zoom out gradually. Either all the way in or out, that sucked (anyone find another way, plz let me know).
:arrow: :cry: THEY HAVE STARLANES! The famous MOO3 blunder.
:) The graphics are good, that was expected, just by remembering Homeworld and EVE Online.
:( Overall I agree, It's no MOO2.

In too many cases Designers choose flashy graphics to impress us, over a simplier method for the user to accomplish what we have to do.
The colonies screen is a must. Maybe, I missed it somewhere. I have to click on every planet to see its info. (when you colonize several planets and can't zoom out alittle, you begin to see my problem)

Anyway I'd like to here what other think about this one.
MOO1 Fan, MOO2 Fan, MOO3 needed too many changes = hopeless, getting older waiting for a MOO4 (still).

ALEX|D

Postby ALEX|D » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:30 am

I don't have a wheel on my mouse
WOW ... I would going mad without that wheel. New Mouse isn´t expensive, so buy a new one :P !

Sots is a step back into stoneage from the tactical view ( if u know moo2) !
Neverless it looks okay, but I really dont care about that in such games !

Time

Postby Time » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:45 pm

actually, I have had a Logitech Trackball for years now and can't go back to the slower, older 1980s looking models, that used those archaic mouse pads, lol. :lol:

My sister has the wireless model with the wheel, and I have been unable to find that one lately. It's sweet. :D

I found the trackball mouse to be the fastest for Warcraft 2 or 3, Starcraft, Empire Earth AOC, and a few Real-Time games, where speed is very important. Some of these are old games now, but, for those of us who remember when these games came out, they were ground breaking for their time.
MOO1 Fan, MOO2 Fan, MOO3 needed too many changes = hopeless, getting older waiting for a MOO4 (still).

ALEX|D

Postby ALEX|D » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:01 am

uff trackball ... I think its "habituation" what u like more.

What about ego shooter ? Does it work for u too ?

Time

Postby Time » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:32 pm

That could be.
I still go on the EE-AOC website, and this old trackball works great.
Now, if they make a MOO4 with a ground combat portion like EE or Starcraft, I'd be impressed. Especially, if we could conquer regions, similar to Rise of Nations or EE2. I can invision a long battle where space combat takes awhile to determine a winner, and ground troops sneak past the ships (maybe cloaked with troop pods), and land. The two players spend some time fighting one battle, then switch to the other, then back, til both are completed. One could capture/destroy the missile base facilities on the planet, and then the defender would be unable to use it, when the space battle continues.

sorry, I went of topic. I think there is a thread on this topic.

Matthew

Postby Matthew » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:50 pm

Here you go siron (and everyone else), all 227mb of it.

http://www.3dgamers.com/games/swordstars/downloads/
is one place to get it.

I tried it too.
:cry: I found the research section should have been made simpler.
You have to spin around to see the other techs available (I missed that on my first test).
:cry: I didn't see any race customization section, just 2 standard races in the demo.
:cry: I don't have a wheel on my mouse, so I was unable to zoom out gradually. Either all the way in or out, that sucked (anyone find another way, plz let me know).
:arrow: :cry: THEY HAVE STARLANES! The famous MOO3 blunder.
:) The graphics are good, that was expected, just by remembering Homeworld and EVE Online.
:( Overall I agree, It's no MOO2.

In too many cases Designers choose flashy graphics to impress us, over a simplier method for the user to accomplish what we have to do.
The colonies screen is a must. Maybe, I missed it somewhere. I have to click on every planet to see its info. (when you colonize several planets and can't zoom out alittle, you begin to see my problem)

Anyway I'd like to here what other think about this one.
I tried the demo. Moo2 is a better game. Sword of the Stars is interesting in some ways but the interface is not very good.

Thrawn

Postby Thrawn » Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:14 pm

Have to agree that the Sword of the Stars interface is confusing. I like that they tried to stay simple but i don't think it worked well.
The Starlanes only apply if you are human. It cuts your options for where you can travel but the humans move VERY fast compared to the other race in the demo. The Tarkas use hyperdrive that allows them to move anywhere they want but they don't move as fast.

Time I don't know that you would be willing to spend the money but the Microsoft Trackball Explorer I use is absolutely wonderful. I wouldn't have spent the money to get it at first. Luckaly I got it super cheap at a local acution where they had no idea how much it is worth normaly. I agree that now that I am used to a good trackball I can't stand normal mice much at all.

Retsia

Postby Retsia » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:01 pm

So, the game is okay?

Should I get it?

Return to “General Discussion”