MOO2 Veteran rediscovering the game

General discussion. Please use this area for any off-topic discussion.
Mindblank
MOO2 Veteran rediscovering the game

Postby Mindblank » Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:16 am

Hi all,

Recently my gaming PC's motherboard died, and while I am waiting for it to be replaced (luckily the PC was still under warranty), I had to fall back on a slightly older laptop that can't handle modern games. So I installed and played MOO2 again after many years. A lot of fond memories are coming back, and I can't help but think of this game as my absolute all time favorite; an example to be followed by today's developers (which they unfortunately don't, in my opinion).

Anyways, I was just wondering if anyone would care to give an old MOO2 veteran the heads-up about what has been going on (interesting mods, post 1.31 patches, modding tools, etc.) in the community for the last 6 or so years?

I also have a specific question: can anyone tell me how to run MOO2 in a window under Windows 2000, if it is at all possible?

Any information is welcome. Many thanks in advance !

Mindblank

edit: I thought I had XP Pro, while in fact it is Win 2000
Last edited by Mindblank on Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

StepNRazor

Postby StepNRazor » Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:10 pm

Answer to you specific question is found on this site.
Click link to home, top left corner is link that says "Back to Lord Brazen Blog" click that.

Files you need are in the down load section.
http://lordbrazen.blogspot.com/2005/01/download.html

Instructions on which files you need and how to install are in Game setup link.
http://lordbrazen.blogspot.com/2005/01/ ... 40-on.html

Once you get the latest patch installed read the readme file it generates, it's not a big file and explains alot. Then look on this sites patch FAQ http://lordbrazen.blogspot.com/2005/01/ ... h-faq.html and in the forums.

Heres a link with helpful info on kali.
http://masteroforion2.blogspot.com/2004 ... 9255475969
People on kali moo2 server #138 to play, note you can play moo2 on kali with fre sn, but I recomend buying the one time fee use of kali at some point.

If you payed on kali back then you might have been in TSL or one of the other leagues. Well TSL has a sign up roster on apolyton.com http://apolyton.net/forums/forumdisplay ... orumid=252 Look at the kali league sign up and kali league battle roster links.

There are some strategy info on this site, on apolyton, and on sirons site I strongly recomned that you read these, it will save a lot of time and pain in game play. Some thing to practice; getting your population building quick. designing some tech tree routes to use with certain races and or situations the map place you in, ship design and when to build which types.

Mindblank

Postby Mindblank » Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:56 pm

What a nice welcome :D

Thanks for all the tips and links. After looking through them I realize most are related to multiplayer, and I have to admit I'm more interested in the single player aspect of the game, mostly for lack of time (although, I have to admit, MOO2 is probably one of the few true strategy games that don't take ages when it comes to mutliplayer).

Mindblank

Postby Mindblank » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:59 am

I am guessing, from the info behind thelinks, that to run MOO2 in a window I need to install the DOS version. Is this so?

Unfortunately, when I launch INSTALL.EXE from the CD, a DOS window appears briefly and then disappears after one or two seconds, and then nothing else happens. Has this happened to anybody? Does this mean I can't run the DOS version on my PC? I have a Sony laptop with Windows 2000.

The Win95 version of MOO2 runs fine on this machine, with the exception of some pretty rare mouse lockups, where I have to use the task manager to kill the application and restart it (no need to reboot). But when I alt-tab back and forth while the game is running, it almost invariably locks up. I had hoped running it in a window would solve this, but I'm not sure. Does anyone have a solution for this? Thanks.

PK

Postby PK » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:03 pm

You can download my special 1.31 dos version. After unziping it will give u ready to play game :) www.pkimperium.republika.pl - download/pliki
PK

Mindblank

Postby Mindblank » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:50 pm

@PK: how is your DOS version different from the one on the MOO2 CD?

PK

Postby PK » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:54 am

No movies or sound. Only dos core game. Game is the same.
PK

Mindblank

Postby Mindblank » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:14 am

@PK: So are you saying that the reason the DOS version from the CD doesn't work on my PC is because of the movies and/or the sound? This would be a bummer, since I actually like the sound effects, and the little movies too - hey, it's part of the game !

siron

Postby siron » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:17 am

You have 2k. Dos version doesnt work there.

Have you tried the mouse patch for the win version? It is here in the download section.

Mindblank

Postby Mindblank » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:43 am

@siron: thanks for pointing this out. I must have overlooked this patch because I at first thought I was using XP Pro (which I have on my usual PC - not the replacement one I'm using right now). So I'll definitely try this, as soon as my current game is over (just in case old save games are not compatible).

Does the DOS version work on XP Pro? If yes, I'll definitely install it once I get my usual PC back. A game like MOO2 should never leave a hard disk.

Btw, can you guys recommend any good mods or scenarios, exclusively for single player?

PK

Postby PK » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:43 am

"PK: So are you saying that the reason the DOS version from the CD doesn't work on my PC is because of the movies and/or the sound? This would be a bummer, since I actually like the sound effects, and the little movies too - hey, it's part of the game !"

My game doesnt require to run install program. Its selfinstalling exe instead of dos install.

There are several mods for orion. Try looking at www.pkimperium.republika.pl and in news in upper bar u will find 3 links : dc mod (Siron), balance mod and revolution mod (mine). Also look on ftp link - some scenarios are there !
PK

Mindblank

Postby Mindblank » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:03 am

@siron: I just installed the "mouse" patch and it works great. On some screens, the mouse is a little laggish, but it's minimal and overall this is a huge improvement. Thanks a lot !

@PK: So it turns out I don't really need a DOS version after all, since my mouse problem is solved. But I'll keep your solution in mind for the future, perhaps when I get my gaming PC back, so thanks a bunch too.

Also @PK: I have noticed the mods you mention. However, I couldn't find a readme file for them. It seems I have to download them as .exes and then I'm hesitant to install them because I would first like to know what exactly they do; not a virus issue, but I don't want the mods to overwrite files without knowing which ones. And finally, you mention "Also look on ftp link - some scenarios are there !". Which link do you mean? Thanks!

PK

Postby PK » Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:31 pm

http://www.pkimperium.republika.pl/strona/download.htm
ftp://ftp.sff.net/pub/people/zoetrope/MOO2/ - here are scenarios.

Exe is created by RAR program ( like zip ). Its good to create a copy of orion dir and then overwrite files in it! Original exe will not run orion! Exe you can run and order where files must be copied. Do not be afraid :)
PK

siron

Postby siron » Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:37 pm

My mod works just for the DOS-version. You find the read me here: http://masteroforion2.blogspot.com/2005 ... 8391963533
(link updated a few days ago)

I improved the AI races a bit but the weak ship design of the AI persists.

Return to “General Discussion”