Repeatable auto combat crash in 1.40b22 - includes save

Report bugs in Master of Orion II v1.40 here.
Shadowlord
Repeatable auto combat crash in 1.40b22 - includes save

Postby Shadowlord » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:17 pm

I have a saved game which crashed during a combat 8 or so times in a row with 1.40b22. Since it's so repeatable, I've zipped it up and put it here: moo2-crash-save3.zip.

My hope is that Lord Brazen or someone can use this to find that crash/freeze bug and fix it.

I wrote a little readme which says what I've observed about it, and how to get it to crash. Although I've included it in the zip, I'll also paste it here for convenience:
Combat crash/freeze bug demonstration save

This saved game is 1 turn from a defensive combat which, (if you don't attack the enemy fleet before they attack one of your colonies), consistantly crashes or freezes (usually near the end of the combat, when the enemy has around 6 ships left) with 1.40b22. It froze the first two times I played it on manual control, and crashed the next six or so times I tried it on auto. (But then I tried 1.31 and it didn't crash, and then I tried 1.40b22 again but preemptively attacked the enemy fleet before they could approach a colony, and it didn't crash/freeze then either.)

So, to have the bug happen, just do this:
1. Load the game (save #3)
2. Hit the 'next turn' button
3. If you're using 1.40b22 you should get a popup asking you where you want to have combat. Click cancel. (If you're using 1.31 this doesn't seem to come up)
4. The enemy should attack one of the colonies, and you should have a large fleet against their large fleet. They seem to like attacking Atlantis II, but I didn't check to see if they attacked the same colony each time.
5. Turn on auto combat and let the battle go. It usually freezes for me when the enemy is down to 6 or so ships. Sometimes it dies during the enemy's turn, and sometimes it dies during mine.

siron

Postby siron » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:12 pm

Hmmm. Tried both...with and without shipinitiative. In both cases no crash there.

Shadowlord

Postby Shadowlord » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:47 pm

Hmm. These are my settings:
[ON] End of turn summary
[ON] End of turn wait
[OFF] Enemy moves
[OFF] Expanding help
[ON] Auto select ships
[ON] Animations
[OFF] Auto select colony
[ON] Show relocation lines
[ON] Show GNN report
[OFF] Auto delete trade goods/housing
[ON] Auto save game
[OFF] Show only serious turn summary reports
[ON] Initiative

And in combat, I have all the options on.

I'm running orion2v140 with VDMSound (2.1.0), but I tried it once without VDMSound and it still crashed that time (but if it's less likely to happen without VDMSound then I could've just been unlucky). Here's the VDMSound shortcut in case that turns out to make the crash more likely to happen: Orion2v140_vdmsound.zip

Edit: Also, I'll note that every time it crashed, my starbase (well, star fortress) was destroyed, and all the enemy's ships with leaders were destroyed a couple turns before it crashed.

siron

Postby siron » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:13 pm

I tried 2 things:

With fast animations I had a crash.

And before that...I switched off expanding help. The battle minimized shortly before the situation where it crashed with fast animations. But I could watch the end of the battle.....

So try to turn on expanding help and turn off fast animations.

One enemy doomstar has a strange move then. He is immobile but moves down and appears shortly above the scan button. The crash situation in my other tries appears shortly before this situation.

Prolly related to the tractor beams bug (see bug list).

Shadowlord

Postby Shadowlord » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:52 pm

I just tried two cases:
Crashes: Expanding help and fast animations both on
Doesn't crash: Expanding help and fast animations both off.

So apparently turning fast animations off fixes it - or I got lucky (I went AFK while the battle ran on auto) - and expanding help didn't have any impact.

Return to “Bugs”