No Sound after 1.4 install

Report bugs in Master of Orion II v1.40 here.
Lharrs
No Sound after 1.4 install

Postby Lharrs » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:50 am

Okay,

Firstly, I a run XP and it is said that my have a prob with the game.

I have seen some of the posts out there ionvolving sound and don't understand any of them but what ever(brain not tunedthat way right now). All I know is that I had sound before I installed the 1.4 patch. What I mean is this, I installed hte game played it and it had sound. I went to teh internet and downloaded the Official 1.31 patch... had sound. Saw the 1.4 patch that fixe a few minor things, and no sound.

Is this what happened to everyone else? I noticed that I tried to configure my sound on VDMS and it didn't work, so I went and tried to do the exact same thing but using set sound instead of using VDMS on Set Sound. When I tried to do it the regualr way, it said there was an error and could not save changes.

I can still play my 1.31 version that has sound but the 1.4 doesn't. I would like to actually have ships that stealth so that whenI have a LAN party, t will be cool, but I never used stealth before and I dominated.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank and God Bless,

- Lharrs

Cabman

Postby Cabman » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:34 am

I have the sound off because it can cause crashes sometimes. But search this forum for sound issues. There are some threads about it here.

Brent15

Postby Brent15 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:56 am

Lharrs, this is a uniquely different problem than I have seen before. VDMSound is primarily going to resolve issues you have with the sound when playing the DOS version of the game. Hence, if you have sound in version 1.31 but not in 1.40 then VDM is not the solution. I think this error your talking about in SetSound may be our problem. Any chance you could elaborate further on your setup and error message?

Lord Brazen
Site Admin

Re: No Sound after 1.4 install

Postby Lord Brazen » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:02 pm

I can still play my 1.31 version that has sound but the 1.4 doesn't.
Hi Lharrs,

Sound will work in v1.40 with vdmsound. You will have to manually create a shortcut and edit the properties of the orion2v140.exe (the pif file).

You should probably start by deleting the desktop shortcut (if the patch made one) and removing orion2v140.pif from the games directory. The patch does not create a shortcut or pif file compatable with vdmsound. From there just follow the same steps you used to setup vmdsound for the v1.31 orion2.exe. It has worked for me in the past.

Good luck
"Stars are holes in the sky from which the light of the Infinite shine through." - Confucius.

Lharrs

Postby Lharrs » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:55 pm

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the willing support of this community.

I will break this up for eassy reading. Firstly, to elaboate what I got, and what I did.
I have Microsoft XP Home Edition.
I dont have any idea what the difference is with these next items but here they are; I have for sound playback, SB Live Wave Device with no other options.
For MIDI music playback I have, SB Live! MIDI UART(currently the one that is selected), A: SB Live MIDI Synth, B: SB Live MIDI Synth, and Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth. Note, that the A and B SB things are what it says I have no clue as to the diference between A and B and the other options.
For Hardware I have the, Creative SB Live! Series.

Secondly, I did three diferent things.... First among those was I explored the CD and found tere was Setup Option and an Install option. I determined that the Config thing was the Install so I opened it with VDMSound and there was aload screen thing. I tried to open the Shortcut Created by 1.4 with VDMSound and there was none.
I then looked a then opened the SETSOUND option with VDMSOUND and used Sound Blaster 16 for each option and it accepted and saved the changes. Tried to play 1.4 with VDMSound, there was none.
Lastly, before I gave up for the night I just double-left clicked SETSOUND and tried to set it up the same as I did when used VDMSound to open it.... When I did I noticed that when I opened it, that both the MIDI music option and the Digital Audio option had none next to them. I then tried to select Sound Blaster 16 which it recognized but then an error message appear that stated it, "Could not save configuration File". Now I tried the 100% compatibility one too and the same thing happened. For each config, with or without VDMS I automaticlly configed it because I didnt want to mess anything up by manually doing it.

That is what I did. I just tried to do the same thing again and got the same results, except that when I tried it with VDMS again, the files werent saved and the error occured again.

As for doing this thing manually, I dont mind, but could you explain step by step how? I am very inexperienced with alterning stuff like that.

Again, Thanks for the help all.

Thanks and God Bless,

- Lharrs

Brent15

Postby Brent15 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:14 pm

Well from my experience you should always use Autoconfigure when using SetSound. If, for some reason, SetSound is showing you have DIG and MIDI set to none even after you run thru setup, then you will not have music or sound on v1.31 either.
I tried to open the Shortcut Created by 1.4 with VDMSound and there was none.
Just go to the Orion2v140.exe file and right click, select "Run with VDMS", this will create a new shortcut for Master of Orion 2 with VDMSound.

Hope this helps :) . If not let us know!

Lharrs

Postby Lharrs » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:31 pm

Okie dokie... *sighs*

I just deleted the 1.4v21 shortcut(being of no real use) then tried to open the original 1.4v21 file that was made from the patch with the VDMS and no sound. I then tried to open 1.31 with VDMS and no sound. So since I can play 1.31 with sound but 1.31 opened with VDMS has no sound, is there a problem with VDMS?

I am going ot check back i na bit(downloading 1.4v22)

Thanks and God Bless,

- Lharrs

PS. - I just tried to join the MOO2 Kali League but I dont know where to find my ICQ. Can I get some help in that area? Thanks again.

Return to “Bugs”