bug list

Report bugs in Master of Orion II v1.40 here.
siron

Postby siron » Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:22 pm

About Feudal bonus bug
I saw this bug also in a pure Network Multiplayer-Game. 3way. Therefore, I dont think that move-order is important.
Another one what I just remember :
(1.3x version?) (Hot Seat?) Mark all Transport's and press Unload Troops button,
Enter the planet - troops unloaded, Look on yours Transports again - all Transport ships - alive !
We had a similar transports bug in 1.4b20 (but already fixed in 1.4b21) but I dont remember the bug you mention here (and it would be a quite important bug then). A save would be very fine...so we can see if this is still possible in 1.4.

DJ

Postby DJ » Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:43 am

1.3 version , Hot-Seat, Multiplayer-Only
AI always use Laser cannon and never modern weapon !

All versions, Telepathic Leader Bonus add only half value to Spy rolls ?!
Why ?

siron

Postby siron » Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:40 am

1.3 version , Hot-Seat, Multiplayer-Only
AI always use Laser cannon and never modern weapon !
You really mean 1.3 here and not 1.31?
(We are more interested in bugs which are still in 1.31dos and therefore also in 1.4.)
All versions, Telepathic Leader Bonus add only half value to Spy rolls ?!
Why ?
Because: it's a bug. :wink:

Thanks for this observation. (There are similar errors: f.e. just the half missile evasion value (caused by racepicks) is displayed on main map...but the full bonus applies in battles. Maybe this is also just a display error. Difficult to test this.

DJ

Postby DJ » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:20 am

Yestoday, I see strange bug.
Version 1.31, Multiplayer?, Outpost ship located on Colonized by AI star system, I am send it back to my own star system, then pick it again and ... Build Outpost button appear ?! Pressing on the button result is popup "star system - window" without planets and strange message .

siron

Postby siron » Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:53 pm

It seems to occur when the tractor beam is "re-drawn" during ship movement animation, and has a "start point" that is off-screen. I have only noticed this in games played, and have not actually performed a focused test on it. My hypothesis should be pretty easy to either verify or refute.
I agree now. Just had a game where a crash occured exactly at this moment.

Cabman

Postby Cabman » Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:38 am

I crash extremaly often. Especially when "chose the combat screen" pops up or when i click at a system and system screen pops up and at leader screen. All of them cause crash to desktop (no error message). Sometimes i crash severall times at the exact situation (we load from the save and it repeats).. I had expaning help on , protected memory was marked on, reinstalled Moo from CD.. Now i installed whole system... Hope it helps..

siron

Postby siron » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:19 am

A list of CTDs would be fine.

BlackThunder

Anihlation bug

Postby BlackThunder » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:15 pm

Is it really a bug?
In 1.31 A planet I anihkated completely. would stay that way several truns, it then later deleted it's colony and was again colonisable. I often had a beat the clock struggle to send there a colonist or few, before the colony was deleted. I treated the several turns a feature.

How is it working in 1.4? I've seen it being mentioned in the next to be fixed bug list in the blog.

siron

Postby siron » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:23 pm

Don't know if I understand you correctly. AFAIK there are no differences between 1.31 and current 1.4.

We don't think that the disappearance should follow immediately. But you are not able to invade such zero pop planet before it completely disappears. That's the bug. (I assume this happens rarely in SP games since the AI doesnt annihilate your pop to 0.)

Almighty Dread

Postby Almighty Dread » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:24 am

Hail to all my fellow MOO fanatics

I'm new to this online MOO thing, but I've been playing the game for a few years now. Reading the FAQ of Lord Brazen's 1.4 patch, I noticed that one of the bugs he listed is not a bug at all.
Time Warp Facilitator bug - Ships equiped with phasing cloak and time warp facilitator can re-cloak in the same combat round in which they fire weapons. This make the ships impossible to destroy.
Lord Brazen's analyses of MOO are excellent, but I am afraid he is entirely wrong with this one. First of all, a ship with both TWF and PC does not recloak in one combat turn. What it actually does is use the TWF to steal an extra turn, use the first turn to attack, then use the second turn to reactivate the PC. This is the whole point of installing both these systems on one ship. It is not a bug, just devious ship design.

A TWF/PC ship is extremely difficult, but not impossible, to destroy. Come on, people, you're supposed to be Masters of Orion. Use your common sense a little bit. I'm not going to spoonfeed you by simply telling you how to do it, but I'll give you a hint. If you can capture one of those pesky Antaran craft, you can scrap it and gain a certain technology (which shall remain nameless) which will make your assaults on TWF/PC ships devastatingly effective. Think about this a bit, and you will realise that I have just given you a BIG clue.

Have fun, players
Almighty Dread

rewster1

Postby rewster1 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:52 pm

Well, perhaps it is a matter of opinion what constitutes a bug, but I've got to imagine in multiplayer, it would be quite annoying to deal with a TWF/PC combination.
I guess I find all of the Antaran techs dubious as counters to this combo... the best you could do is run up and use spatial compressors. But then again you can just research pulsars and you have a better range. Plus, while you are running up, they can run somewhere else, and continually pound you with weapons that don't suck, like phasors or whatever.

If I were going to counter this "devious ship design" I'd use a phasing cloak of my own and enough stasis fields to lock down their fleet. Nix the TWF and theoretically* my ships should stay cloaked longer than theirs. Then, when they decloak, lock them all down and crack one egg at a time.

There you have it. One bug/"devious ship design" totally countered by another bug/"devious ship design" (one that's much cheaper in RPs to boot).

By the way, you come across as rather arrogant... to assume that everyone here hasn't already come up with some sort of counter to this tactic, and then all this talk of spoon feeding...

*I say theoretically because I haven't bothered to test whether this works. It should work, except that the TWF/PC combo is already kinda buggy, so it may not work as I expect and decloak after five real turns.

EDIT
Ok, now after testing this, I know there is a bug, because the time warp facilitator on one ship made the phase cloak on both it and the opponent's ship turn into a cloaking device after 10 turns of no fire (only 5 turns for the other ship, so it should have stayed cloaked, right??). This does mean that my counter isn't entirely effective, as depending on ship initiative the TWF ship may still get to shoot first. However if the stasis field ship can survive one round and get close enough to trap the TWF ship, it wins. Oh, and I discovered that spatial compressors cannot be used unless you have something to target. Which is almost like a bug, or rather an issue with the mechanics of the game.
So now the only effective Antaran technology against this combo is... drumroll....
The Quantum Detonator! Exploding frigates of doom! :lol:

Almighty Dread

Postby Almighty Dread » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:01 am

By the way, you come across as rather arrogant... to assume that everyone here hasn't already come up with some sort of counter to this tactic, and then all this talk of spoon feeding...
You need to relax, son, because you come across as rather insecure. MOO is a game, so we shouldn't take ourselves too seriously when writing about it. You probably have a decent sense of humour, so try to apply it in all areas, and you'll be better off.

Your ultimate conclusion is correct: in order to destroy TWF/PC ships, you need to self destruct ships next to them. This counter tactic is viable because TWF/PC ships are very expensive, whereas a ship with just a PC and quantum detonator is dirt cheap. They're the kind of defensive ships which could drive any opponent mad, whether or not he uses TWF/PC ships.

By the way, I read somewhere that stasis fields are forbidden in multiplayer games. This seems a bit paranoid to me. Why not just warn people that putting an opponent's entire fleet into stasis could cause combat screen Limbo?

rewster1

Postby rewster1 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:25 am

Well, I'm not really insecure, and you're not really arrogant, so let's forget about all that. Anyhow... orion and antarans are both turned off in multiplayer games most of the time, because orion quite often starts very close to one player, giving them an unfair advantage, and likewise antarans attack at random, giving the person they attack a free antaran tech if they manage to capture a ship. Otherwise exploding quantum ships would be good, at least if you have good enough drive tech and computer to gain initiative (otherwise your ships will be shot out of the sky in one turn by the TWFPC ships). Without the detonator, you'd need three times as many ships or more (due to shields) so it stops being a good counter I'd think. The nice thing is detonated ships will hit at least two of the opponent's ships if you get right up in between.
I think there are a few mods (at least one) that stick antaran techs right into the tech tree, so you can probably use this technique in that situation... but then again a multiplayer game never lasts long enough to get that far because a human will attack you long before you can research all that.
I don't know about the stasis field ban, but I doubt many games even reach that far either. Those that do, I suppose the reason for the ban is that there isn't a reasonable counter other than having better initiative so that you can kill all their lock down ships before they move, or run away.

Almighty Dread

Postby Almighty Dread » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:54 am

... but then again a multiplayer game never lasts long enough to get that far because a human will attack you long before you can research all that.
If what you say is true, then you won't have to worry about TWF/PC ships.

Deathlord

splinter sytem guarded by monster

Postby Deathlord » Fri May 28, 2010 1:41 pm

In game vs Cabman i killed monster guarding Splinter colony while enemy ship was in system and my opponent got Splinter world :) .

That lucky Cabman .

So be careful when there is enemy ship in system with monster guarding Splinter world (only possible with Eel ) .

Return to “Bugs”