RPs saved now? New feature?

Report bugs in Master of Orion II v1.40 here.
siron
RPs saved now? New feature?

Postby siron » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:27 am

Yesterday, I was teching ion drive and made an invasion...and was stealing ion drive.

IIRC my RPs are lost then, the research screen appears and I have to chose a new tech.

But the screen did not appear in my last game. My RPs were saved - techfield was still chosen - and I was able to chose a new tech when I entered the research screen 2 turns later.

Has anyone seen this before?
Or is this a new feature/bug in 1.4b21?

(I have 2 saves but it is a bit difficult to reproduce the result. You won't get ion drives for sure. I was able to reproduce the success in orion95.exe and the RPs were lost there.)

ALEX|D

Postby ALEX|D » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:09 am

Has anyone seen this before?
I only saw that RPs r lost.

But fixing this to store RP would be a fine new feature.

RPs over 100% r also lost, maybe we can work on this too to save RP for next Tech.

siron

Postby siron » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:38 am

But fixing this to store RP would be a fine new feature.

RPs over 100% r also lost, maybe we can work on this too to save RP for next Tech.
I agree that this could be generally a very nice feature. Therefore I wasn't sure if thats a bug or not.

I have just read some CIV4 reviews: IIRC Production and Research are stored there now. This means a lot of less micromanagement. I can't say that our popular research shuffle (moving scientist into prod when breakthrough chance) adds much strategical depth to the game. It's mainly a technical issue and it slows down!

Gusset

Postby Gusset » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:52 pm

Odd one, Siron, I have never seen that happen. Hopefully it is a very rare occurance. If you are able to figure out what causes it so LB can perhaps make it consistent, that would be a good thing.

Personally, as far as losing RPs due to stealing/capturing/finding a tech goes, I have to disagree with Alex. I like that particular feature. I must admit that when it happens to me it is a VERY big disappointment, but it is at least one fairly realistic aspect of a flawed tech research system (e.g. switching research paths midstream should not be possible IMHO, but it's something we must simply live with in an abstract representation such as MOO2).

-Gusset

ALEX|D

Postby ALEX|D » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:27 pm

1) I think, as long u r able to switch between techs durching progess of research, then u shouldn´t lose RP when "stealing/capturing/finding" happen.

-------------------------------------------------
e.g. switching research paths midstream should not be possible IMHO

2) What I think is ...

An example to explain it better

U have put 500RP on ion drive.
Then u change ur mind and u want to research neutron scanner.
Then the 500RP should be stored for Ion Drive, and the neutron scanner research progress should beginn with 0RP.
Then u research a bit on neutron scanner and u change ur mind again to get back to ion drive, so the ion drive research progress should start with 500RP (which were stored from earlier).

That would be more realistic and more hard to code :? .

3) If u were on 100% Breakthrough, all RPs over this value r lost. Maybe making a 1.4Patch-Switch for it would be nice, so u can play with lost RPs over 100% and u can play with added RPs if u r over 100% !

4) Further we could make a switch without the Breakthroughchance. So there´s a bit less imbalance.

Player 1 gets rlabs with 11% Breakthroughchance, on turn 27.
The other player needs 90% Breakthroughchance, on turn 30.
So player 1 has a 3 turn tech advantage, so he build earlier rlabs gets earlier autofacs ... on turn 100 he has a more big advantage. Such an advantage would be decisive in 1on1 games.
Only an idea :) maybe, one time, we can make a switch for it ... !

StepNRazor

Postby StepNRazor » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:04 pm

I think as rp's can be swaped from turn to turn to any thech treee with no penalty, that upon gaining a tech via capture or arti scouting should not result in the loss of a chunk of rp's.

An alternate way of captured tech or arti tech could be to allow the tech tree not to advance, say if you are on researching AF and hit an arti giveing you AF, now you can select Hvy Armor or Missle bases ior put banked rp's into another tree. I had always thought lossing rp on capture or arti was the wrong decesion.

I think the random that gives all techs in a tree should remain as it is now.

Rationale:
My thinking is that a capture of tech facilities resulting in a technology gain would also give minor improvements in other fields so no loos of rp in switching a tech tree or advanceing in same tree. The same for arti scouting it reports you find technology X, but there is other stuff on the colony that perhaps has minor increase in other fields so oncen again no loss of rp is changeing tech tree or increasingin same tree.

Staffa

Postby Staffa » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:36 am

1) I think, as long u r able to switch between techs durching progess of research, then u shouldn´t lose RP when "stealing/capturing/finding" happen.

e.g. switching research paths midstream should not be possible IMHO

2) What I think is ...

U have put 500RP on ion drive.
Then u change ur mind and u want to research neutron scanner.
Then the 500RP should be stored for Ion Drive, and the neutron scanner research progress should beginn with 0RP.
Then u research a bit on neutron scanner and u change ur mind again to get back to ion drive, so the ion drive research progress should start with 500RP (which were stored from earlier).

That would be more realistic and more hard to code :? .
This is actually how civ4 handles it, when a tech/production finishes, all excess goes to the next thing without any loss. But if you steal/trade techs, u lose any rp u have already invested.

siron

Postby siron » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:23 am

Staffa!

Nice to see you. Hope you join kali again for a few ladder games...it is a bit inactive now since PK and Cybersaber have stopped.

I also mentioned CIV4 above but I just saw a few reviews. I also misunderstood ALEX a bit...RPs are saved there separately (like ALEX proposed above)?

Seems more realistic...but should also apply to production then...where are less overspill effects. Hmmm....would be too much micro then IMO.

Return to “Bugs”