Play issues with Windows 2K Pro

Search these posts first and if your question hasn't already been asked, ask it here!

caamich
Play issues with Windows 2K Pro

Postby caamich » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:19 pm

Which is the direct predecessor to Windows XP, as I understand it. The first time I tried to run the game, complete with the only patch I knew about, my computer froze up on me.
:(

Please help, if you can!

Thanks!
Carol
====
"I may be love's b*tch, but at least I'm man enough to admit it!"
__Spike, "Lover's Walk," Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Lord Brazen
Site Admin

Re: Play issues with Windows 2K Pro

Postby Lord Brazen » Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:50 pm

The first time I tried to run the game, complete with the only patch I knew about, my computer froze up on me.
Thanks!
Hi Carol,

Welcome to our forum.

From your post I gather you are trying to run Moo2 on Window 2000 Pro and it is hanging. Unfortunately this is fairly common on windows 2000. Master of Orion II was designed to run on windows 95 or DOS and windows 2000 is probably the worst OS for running old software.

Here is what I can suggest you try (I am assuming you are running orion95.exe as orion2.exe wont work in windows 2000 at all).

1. Make sure you have orion2 patched up to v1.31 (earlier versions will crash a lot).
2. Make sure you have service pack 3 for windows 2000 (or later).
3. Make sure you have the latest Direct X (9.0)
4. Try setting orion95.exe for windows 95 and 640x480 compatability mode (right click orion95.exe pick properties. Goto compatability tab. Adjust).
5. Try the Application Compatability Utility from microsoft.

I think if you do these things, you probably can get it to work. My understanding is though that the game crashes sometimes in windows 2000 but is still playable. I don't have windows 2000 myself to try it.

Good luck.

caamich

Re: Play issues with Windows 2K Pro

Postby caamich » Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:25 pm

From your post I gather you are trying to run Moo2 on Window 2000 Pro and it is hanging. Unfortunately this is fairly common on windows 2000. Master of Orion II was designed to run on windows 95 or DOS and windows 2000 is probably the worst OS for running old software.

Here is what I can suggest you try (I am assuming you are running orion95.exe as orion2.exe wont work in windows 2000 at all).

[snip]

I think if you do these things, you probably can get it to work. My understanding is though that the game crashes sometimes in windows 2000 but is still playable. I don't have windows 2000 myself to try it.

Good luck.
<whimper> Okay....I'll give it a try. I had gotten to where I could beat the game all the way up through Average level...but, I still enjoyed playing the thing. It's the only actual computer game I had that involved characters and not words, cards, or puzzles. I *want* to get Diablo Battle Chest, but until I get my life squared away and move away from my tyrannical father who thinks *anything* other than my at-home transcription work is "playing" (including e-mail to long-distance family and friends) and time ill spent (and therefore time that is jeopardizing the well-being of my computer, should he have one of his temper flares--no, I am *not* exaggerating, even though I *own* this computer), I don't dare spend money on any computer games, as my finances are monitored very closely by Daddy Dearest. MOO II was purchased before I had to move back home and cost a whole $10. I could've hidden that purchase, but the $29.99 for Diablo Battle Chest would be a bit more difficult to explain away by disguising it as the purchase of another item in my expense log....(I'm 35 years old, by the way, and living with a psychologically abusive father and an enabling mother. Yes, I am going to counseling. Dad thinks it's for my lack of organization/motivation and my "combativeness.")

Sorry I dumped on you. Thanks for the help.
Carol
====
"I may be love's b*tch, but at least I'm man enough to admit it!"
__Spike, "Lover's Walk," Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Return to “Support”