Linux Ubuntu - 1.4 Patch Problem

Search these posts first and if your question hasn't already been asked, ask it here!

Turin
Linux Ubuntu - 1.4 Patch Problem

Postby Turin » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:00 am

Greetings! I've recently decided to pick up this awesome game again and try (after a bit of warming up against the AI) to play some MP online if I can find anyone for it. But these days I'm running a Linux Ubuntu laptop at home and can't figure out a way to apply the 1.40 patch that I'll need for multiplayer in DOSBOX.

I already did a search on old topics and apparently the way to do this is to apply the patch on a Windows machine and then move over the orion1.40 .exe file manually. Unfortunately I don't have a Windows machine available to do this (except at work, where I can't have the ORION2.exe installed). Any idea how I can install the patch without resorting to Windows?
Humanity was dealt a crippling blow the instant that the conclusions of science became subject to democracy.

Cabman

Postby Cabman » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:21 am

I heard it could be done with "Wine" ...dunno if i wrote it right ( win emulator)

Turin

Postby Turin » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:45 am

I heard it could be done with "Wine" ...dunno if i wrote it right ( win emulator)
Yeah, I was thinking of trying that, but this old thread had someone saying they couldn't get it to work in Wine. But since then Wine has had its 1.0 release, so maybe I can get it to work... I just have to spend some time getting Wine installed!

What's actually in the patch? Does it replace any files in the install, or just create the new 1.4 exe?
Humanity was dealt a crippling blow the instant that the conclusions of science became subject to democracy.

Return to “Support”