militia

Search these posts first and if your question hasn't already been asked, ask it here!

Time
militia

Postby Time » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:32 pm

:?: Anyone know how the number of militia is determined?

:?: Is it based on the # of current pop on a planet?

:?: Or the pop max of a planet?

:?: Will a warlord race have double the number of militia?

:?: How long does it take to regain militia after an attack where you defend and win?
Last edited by Time on Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
MOO1 Fan, MOO2 Fan, MOO3 needed too many changes = hopeless, getting older waiting for a MOO4 (still).

TheDS

Postby TheDS » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:30 pm

I woudn't mind knowing the answers to these questions either, but since finding them will likely require looking at the code, I don't think we're going to learn this any time soon.
Why do they get to attack me without war being declared, but I can't do the same?

Time

Postby Time » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:40 pm

hmmm... a year and a half later, I guess noone else has a clue either.
:(
MOO1 Fan, MOO2 Fan, MOO3 needed too many changes = hopeless, getting older waiting for a MOO4 (still).

LordLydon

Postby LordLydon » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:20 am

Hi Time, damn rebellions, I thought I excilled you!!! :evil:

Anyways, I dug this up mostly from memory and after a bit of testing it surprisingly seems right!

Every player (including Warlord) start with 3 Infantry & 1 Militia.

1 Infantry is gained every 5 turns upto InfantryMax.

Regular InfantryMax = 1/2 current planet pop[rounded down]
Warlord InfantryMax = current planet pop[rounded down]

So as a planet population grows, new Infantry will appear 5 turns after NEW current planet pop milestones. And after an invasion your Infantry will be replace 1 every 5 turns.

Militia function EXACTLY the same way for Regular and Warlord players.

You gain (instantly) 1 Militia every 5 Current Population. Meaning, at 5 current planet pop you will have 1 militia, 10 pop = 2 Militia, 15 pop = 3 militia, etc.

Militia will ONLY start to take "Hits" and die AFTER ALL INFANTRY are killed! And due to their small number and combat penalties, 99.9% of the time they WON'T save your planet at this point. (they do get significant "Shots" in, beforehand though)

So since it's rare, I've never been able to test this, but I'm pretty certain Militia are instantly and fully replaced the next turn. And although they don't show up on the Bombing/Invade screen, they are ALWAYS present, 1 per 5 current pop.

Not bad for a year and a half response!!! :D

Time

Postby Time » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:02 pm

Wow!
Thanks for the details.
I was familiar with Warlord, but, not the militia.
I did actually have a game where my -10 ground troop (1 trans) lost to the militia, after defeating the 1-2 Infantry remaining on a planet (humiliating). There were 4 militia, and it was Sakkra, so, that would explain why there were so many. (I might have even been testing Low-G back then)

I appreciate the answer.
I have posted questions like this up here before, sometimes out of just pure curisoity, othertimes, just because I haven't seen another post on the same topic. Others may not know the answers either, or just may not have thought about it.
Even if these types of questions rarely have an effect on most of any of our games, sometimes, it's just nice to know more about our favorite game. Thanks. :)
Learning something new every day. :D

hmmm... (I thought I was done there)

This brings up another question.

:?: Do racial bonuses effect militia?
i.e. Would my 1 (-10G.C.) Troop Trans be more likely to lose, if the planet it is landing on, is of a race that is High-G? or +20 G.C.?
What if the planet's race has plasma rifle?
Do any of these types of bonuses have any, even if marginal, effect on the defensive capabilities of militia? or are all militia on all planets the same regardless of racial picks or techs?

LordLydon

Postby LordLydon » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:14 pm

You're welcome, I did a lot of play testing back when I first starting playing MOO2 and asked myself these very questions! I was always surprised how much MOO2 made sense under the hood! A tribute to great game design!

Militia are always -10 of Infantry. (except if "Powered Armor" is researched which Militia do NOT benefit from, so they will be
-20 & still only have 1 Hit compared to Infantry)

Militia DO benefit from everything else; Armor, Rifles, Anti-Grave Harness +10, Personal Shield +20, +Combat Bonuses/Picks, and High-Gravity Homeworld (+1 Hit).

And Militia are penalized by -Combat Bonuses/Picks and Low-Gravity Homeworld exactly the same as Infantry.

So to summarize, Militia have a general -10 penalty and don't benefit from Powered Armor.

Also of note, Infantry & Militia on Planets do NOT gain experience (from my testing) but my Troops sitting around in their tin can transports DO gain experience!!

I know, this stuff isn't that important but I agree, it sure is interesting!!

So the most "deadly" :roll: Militia would be Bulrathi (+1 Hit) then Sakkra's (+10 Subterranean Bonus).

I have no idea if Militia play a role in Rebellions, this would be hard to prove. (my thoughts would be yes, but according to the number of rebels and not planet pop)
Last edited by LordLydon on Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Time

Postby Time » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:14 pm

More good info. Thanks!

Something you said got me thinking, "Also of note, Infantry & Militia on Planets do NOT gain experience (from my testing) but my Troops sitting around in their tin can transports DO gain experience!! ".

I found this in the manual.pdf file in Chapter 8:

All troops, both ground and shipboard, start out as green rookies. For
experience purposes, they're considered Recruits (unless they're in
service with a race that has the Warlord characteristic). As time goes by
and these Marines take part in battles, their experience level rises. Each
turn in space counts for 1 experience point, and every enemy ship
destroyed or captured in combat adds 2 more. When the crew gains
sufficient experience, they advance to the next rank and their ship gains
combat bonuses, as follows.
Points Level Ship Attack Ship Defense Boarding iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
0 Recruit Normal Normal Normal
50 Regular +15 +15 +5
150 Veteran +30 +30 +10
500 Elite +50 +50 +15
* Ultra-Elite +75 +75 +20

* This level is only attainable by crews in the service of a Warlord race.
As to why these attack and defense bonuses are important, refer to the
Combat section.

I didn't realize marines had experience levels like ship crews.
On many occasions I played a telepathic race and wasn't really concerned about G.C.
Of course, I saw my ship experience levels go up, but, I figured that was all there was too it.

I know ship crews gain experience from Space Academys, so,
:?: would marines in troop transports too?

Now, I have to check my Troop Transports the next time I load up a saved game to see where it tells us the Troops xp level. It would be nice if each ship's crew xp were displayed in the ship info screen. We could make the judgement call, to wait a few more turns to launch a fleet, if our crew was about to gain a level.

LordLydon

Postby LordLydon » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:44 am

I've read that in Chapter 8 but I'm positive Ground troops just don't gain experience.

You're right, it is a pity Troop Transports don't show their current EXP number like ships, a +5 Combat advantage DOES make a difference. But then again Transports are just too CHEAP and QUANTITY matters more in this game!

Again, the Exp level of troops isn't shown on Planatary Invasion but it does appear to be factored in. (Attackers only) And also not shown but factored into Boarding and Ship Defense.

(Edit: Ship Defense DOES show Exp levels added in, so in the same combat a ship can display +100 Boarding and +105 when Defending!! But it appears that experience is factored into both for results)

And Space Acadamy's DO affect Troop Transports both for starting exp as well and exp gained per turn!

Time

Postby Time » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:05 pm

And Space Acadamy's DO affect Troop Transports both for starting exp as well and exp gained per turn!
Good to know.
This would explain why the comps in single player games always build 6 trans early and pay the maintenance upkeep (or use cmd pt slots).

I guess, we can add this to the list of minor changes for Lord Brazen (or others) to, hopefully, upgrade MOO2 to include.

btw, I looked up an old save of mine, and found that my Trans were all regulars.

Return to “Support”