Patch 1.4 for Window Mode

Search these posts first and if your question hasn't already been asked, ask it here!

liek09
Patch 1.4 for Window Mode

Postby liek09 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:19 pm

Hi everyone,

I just got MoO 2 (Windows version) to work under Vista but after changing the property to be compatible to Windows XP SP2 + change color to 16 bit and it work like wonder.

I did the patch 1.31 and after browsing internet for a while i bumped into patch 1.4

I looked in my folders and i only found Orion2.exe and ISDel.exe

I dont think i have the DOS version file (install.exe) and im really interested to upgrade it to patch 1.4 because after i read what the patch has fix really got me fired up especially the invisible ship bug.

After reading the patch's step by step guide that it only work for DOS version, i tried to get it to work under window and gave up after many hours of failure attempts :cry:

Is there any way to make the patch 1.4 ( DOS version) to work for windows version? Anyone got a patch 1.4 that is window version?

I mean i could go buy the CD of MoO 2 ....but does all the CD has the DOS version?

siron

Postby siron » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:19 am

Hello liek09,
for those players without install.exe see step 1b in the DOSBox Guide.

liek09

Postby liek09 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:34 am

Yes i did some searching on the forum and found people with similar problem. I did windows install, add the Rkernell file, patch 1.31, then i follow the instruction to install patch 1.41 under windows xp but i couldnt find the DIG.INI or MDI.INI so i did more searching around the forum. Some one said he did "fake" auto detect setting through the use of Setsound.exe file to create those files so i give it a try

...It did not work, it seems under vista as safety feature to create such files is not allowed (prevent spyware maybe?) so i created it my self using notepad then copy +paste the setting from Lord Brazen's instruction for those files. Save it on somewhere else with different name , it would work as long its not in same folder. yea its a hassle for Vista user but only way around it, next i copy +paste DIG and MDI to MoO 2 folder. Finally its done.

I notice a shortcut desktop was created with pif extension, i did download the dosbox.conf and followed your instruction. I hit the shortcut and black screen of DOS appear then another window labeled 16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem with a message "This system does not support full screen mode. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application."

I only have two option, close or ignore. I tried the ignore but it just kept asking so i closed it.

I was frustrated....oh i havent given up, after i took a break by playing version 1.31 for few hours i'm more determined than ever that i must get it to work under 1.4 (the list of fixes under 1.4 is hard to resist)

I tried to run the Orion2v140.exe and same thing happen about full screen thing again...... i'm almost to the point of pulling my hair :shock:

Next i went ahead tried mounting it under Dosbox then manually type mount c c:\progra~1\microp~1\orion2

I continue with typing c:\orion2~1

...........It works !!!!! :D

I got sounds and music....mouse movement is bit choppy but ok. after a while the sound start to stutter and some ugly noise like static noise began to surface...

I did more searching (its bloody 3 o'clock in the morning but i refuse to sleep until i get this right) on the forum and some folks said using VDMS solve the problem so i download the 2.04 version.

I tried to run it from windows using right click on desktop shortcut .pif and orion2v140.exe then choose "Run with VDMS" ...both has same result of message saying system does not support full screen mode :cry:

I think changing the frameskip to 2 on dosbox.conf file will fix the choppy mouse movement maybe or if i set the cycles to certain value and maybe i can get it run the sound smoothly?I read someone was messing with the cycle value but it also affect not only the sound but how fast the game run....in doubt ...i left it alone. Not going to mess with it.

I did one last experiment, i copy paste my save files from version patch 1.31 and run it under Dosbox....i manage to load the save file in-game but i'm not sure the patch 1.4 work for save files from patch 1.31 of windows version :? Does it? :?

siron

Postby siron » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:49 am

Nice that you solved your problem.

Yes, using DOSBox solves most problems on most modern comps. When you have luck to run it without DOSBox (but it is pretty hard sometimes since there are simply too many different problems to solve nowadays) you could try VDMS...but I don't see much sense since that project was abandoned long time ago and its code is already implemented in DOSBox.

You could also try to alter the sensitivity settings to solve your mouse problem.

And yes, save files of 1.31 and 1.4 should be compatible.

Return to “Support”