Playing MoO II in Windows XP

Search these posts first and if your question hasn't already been asked, ask it here!

Mr. Svinlesha
Playing MoO II in Windows XP

Postby Mr. Svinlesha » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:14 am

Hej. I just downloaded a demo copy of MoO II and installed it, but quickly noticed that my mouse doesn't work. I realized after a few tries that the demo version I've downloaded is configured for Windows 95/98. Unfortunately, I have XP.

1) I'm giving serious consideration to purchasing MoO II from Softwrap, but before I do I need to know that I can get it to run on my rig. I've searched to forums here (and on the net as well) but can't find any info about running it in XP. What do I need to do to get it to work?

2) Has anybody else here heard of Softwrap? Are they reputable?

Thanks in advance for help and advice.

Cabman

Postby Cabman » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:41 am

You're very poor at searching then :P. http://masteroforion2.blogspot.com/2006 ... guide.html this is a dosbox guide. We use it and dos version of Moo for mp games.

siron

Postby siron » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:22 am

Never heard of softwrap...dunno their price. In other new, Atari announced the Digital Download version of MOO2 today.

http://www.atari.com/us/games/moo2_battle_anta/pc

I would try it there (maybe they get it then that MOO2 >> MOO3)

Mr. Svinlesha

Postby Mr. Svinlesha » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:17 am

Cabman:

We freely concede that our search fu ain't all that and a bag a chips :).

Just to be clear, I didn't download a DOS version of MoO II, but a Windows 95/98 version. Should I still use DOSbox? I don't have an Orion2.exe in the program folder, for example; only an Orion95.exe. Does that matter?

siron:

Amazing! I start sniffing around the net for a copy MoO II yesterday, and they offer a digital download the day after! Almost cosmic....

The price is the same, but I think I like Atari better. Muchos gracios for the link, companero.

siron

Postby siron » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:53 am

Svinlesha,

they had even a display error on their DL site....or I whined a bit too much on their forum...

they offer MOO2 now for $9.95

Cabman

Postby Cabman » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:06 pm

Just to be clear, I didn't download a DOS version of MoO II, but a Windows 95/98 version. Should I still use DOSbox? I don't have an Orion2.exe in the program folder, for example; only an Orion95.exe. Does that matter?
....just follow the dosbox guide instructions, and everything will be ok :)

Mr. Svinlesha

Postby Mr. Svinlesha » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:34 pm

Cabman:

Will do. Thanks.

Word of warning, though: my DOSbox fu is even worse than my search fu, if that's possible. Will probably be back for more help shortly.

:wink:

siron:

That's too good an offer to pass up. Will DL ASAP.

TY.

Mr. Svinlesha

Postby Mr. Svinlesha » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:51 am

This message brought to you from the Atari website:

"We're sorry. The item you have selected is not available for purchase in your country."

(Bangs head on desk.)

siron

Postby siron » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:41 am

:(

Where are you from?

Mr. Svinlesha

Postby Mr. Svinlesha » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:00 am

s:

Well, Tennessee, actually.

But I live in Gothenburg, Sweden.

Yxklyx

Postby Yxklyx » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:42 am

FYI, you don't need DOSbox if you're just going to play single player. I'm running the DOS version of MOO2 (I have the CD) with patch 1.4. I use VDMS so that I can listen to the music properly. That's all.

siron

Postby siron » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:30 pm

FYI, you don't need DOSbox if you're just going to play single player.
You don't need it on XP when you don't have any other trouble. But more and more newer PCs have some different issues now...and these are simply solved by DOSBox...so it is a standard solution.

----------
For some reason atari.com is only allowed to offer that DL for north america.

Buddenbrook

Postby Buddenbrook » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:55 pm

I also have XP, and VDMSound has worked much more smoothly for me. Initially had some trouble with DosBox, even though I was following instructions here and e.g. on siron's blog. The music wouldn't work, there was a lag (sort of fading) between changing screens, the mouse movement was slow (and different programs didn't help) and the game could even crash abruptly. Now with VDMSound when testing/seeking different modifications in the exe, it has worked without crashing even once for 30+ hours now, the music plays smoothly, the pointer moves fast, and there's no lag/fading.

I wonder about the net playing possibilities and reliability with VDMSound, because it seems that for XP users it is vastly preferable compared to Dosbox?

Return to “Support”