MOO2 and Vista?

Search these posts first and if your question hasn't already been asked, ask it here!

Time
MOO2 and Vista?

Postby Time » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:04 pm

:?: Anyone know if MOO2 works on MS Vista (any version)?

:arrow: Yes, but, only the windows version.
:arrow: Yes, but, you need Dos Box to go online.
:arrow: No, it won't work (too old/wrong bit type. etc).
:arrow: No, some other reason.

:arrow: Any other answer I missed?
MOO1 Fan, MOO2 Fan, MOO3 needed too many changes = hopeless, getting older waiting for a MOO4 (still).

Melkin93

MOO2 on Vista [DosBox]

Postby Melkin93 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:46 pm

So far I have gotten MOO2 (Dos Version) running on Vista at least far enough to start the program and get to the race generation screen; haven't yet had time to actually begin an actual game, but seems likely to work. Used DosBox as per the instructions on the blog, I did have to manually create the orioncd.ini file under Vista, couldn't find it to edit (probably didn't copy from the CD). Will update when I've actually run a game. Next up: MP :)

Eldarae

Melkin, did the game run?

Postby Eldarae » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:13 pm

Have you followed up on playing a game in vista?

Melkin93

MOO II under Vista Success

Postby Melkin93 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:20 am

Due to a hard drive failure, I wasn't able to follow up on my earlier post until recently...

Over the past weekend I reinstalled MOO II (+1.31 and 1.40 patches) and Dosbox on my (repaired) Vista machine and have played (single-player) a game through ~turn 100 so far with no problems.

*Notes:
1) I have not attempted to get the sound working; it isn't at present
2) I made no changes to the dosbox.conf file other than to add the few lines at the end for running MOO II.
3) I won't be attempting multiplayer the way I was planning to between this and another machine at home, as the other machine runs the game [u]way[/u] too slowly under Dosbox (machine is ~5+ yrs old, running Windows ME).

laddie600

Re: MOO2 on Vista [DosBox]

Postby laddie600 » Sat May 17, 2008 4:44 pm

So far I have gotten MOO2 (Dos Version) running on Vista at least far enough to start the program and get to the race generation screen; haven't yet had time to actually begin an actual game, but seems likely to work. Used DosBox as per the instructions on the blog, I did have to manually create the orioncd.ini file under Vista, couldn't find it to edit (probably didn't copy from the CD). Will update when I've actually run a game. Next up: MP :)
how did you manage to create orioncd.ini under Vista? I am new to the forum and a total newb with Vista (I miss my XP!)
- Laddie600

Time

Postby Time » Sun May 18, 2008 8:38 pm

Wow, I forgot about this post.
Back then I didn't have Vista, but, was considering buying a new computer, and just wanted to know if it worked (didn't want to lose my MOO2, :wink: ).

I did buy one with Vista, back in November, and MOO2 works fine, sound and everything.
I copied the original cd to orion2 folder, then installed the files from there into another folder.
I checked, mine has the orioncd.ini file you mentioned above. I'm not sure if it came with the cd, or the 1.40 patch I downloaded here, but, it's there.
MOO1 Fan, MOO2 Fan, MOO3 needed too many changes = hopeless, getting older waiting for a MOO4 (still).

laddie600

Postby laddie600 » Wed May 21, 2008 2:19 pm

ok, well, i screwed up somewhere. I'm looking at my MoO2 folder, at the files contained within, and I do not have an "orioncd.ini" file, even though I copied the contents straight from the original cd-rom. I have attempted to install with the cd-rom, and it just wouldn't go and i don't know why - no status message or nothing, just no-go at all. After that, I went and copied all the files onto my hard drive into my program files, and tried to run the install, and it came up with the following error: C:\PROGRA~1\MoO2\INSTALL.EXE This system does not support fullscreen mode. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

I don't know what's up with this since I was able to run the first MoO with no problems using a DOSBOX. If anybody at all has any clue wtf i'm doing wrong, plz do so.
- Laddie600

laddie600

Postby laddie600 » Wed May 21, 2008 2:43 pm

nvm - i got it! it's just teeny-tiny viewing area, that's all. Ohh...I can't believe this...I feel like I'm ten years younger b/c that's when I first played this game!
- Laddie600

InHughMan

Postby InHughMan » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:51 pm

nvm - i got it! it's just teeny-tiny viewing area, that's all. Ohh...I can't believe this...I feel like I'm ten years younger b/c that's when I first played this game!
Okay Laddie600, I'm getting exactly the same error...how did you get around it?
InHughMan

laddie600

Postby laddie600 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:18 pm

Ok, so I was looking over the post, and I remember how I managed to fix that problem, despite it being almost a year ago and two memory wipes since then. This is basically what I did. I went to this topic: viewtopic.php?t=511&sid=7a54be48978e1af ... 1338e558df
After having read that thread, I went and opened Notepad. From there, I just typed "F:/orion2cd" and then saved the Notepad text document and named it "orion.ini" and copied the file into the MoO2 directory. Then I ran MoO2. I'm pretty sure that's what I did. I really hope that works.
- Laddie600

lancerdc

Postby lancerdc » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:51 pm

Laddie. I love you. That was exactly what was wrong with mine. I have been trying to get this game to work for weeks.

Flick Montana

Postby Flick Montana » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:42 am

I'm having an issue with the orioncd.ini file as well. I created my own file and named it orioncd.ini and put d:\(my game directory)orion2cd as the property, but I still get the same error.

I really want this game to work as my wife's old laptop just died and that was the last place I could play the game. I still play this game about once a week, but it no longer functions on Windows 7 for me no matter what I do.

I have the original game CD if that helps.

EDIT: Nevermind, a simple spelling error was the problem. I am now to the color issue that I've been reading so much about so I will head back to the board again. :roll:

Return to “Support”