Orion2 wont start using patch 1.4

Search these posts first and if your question hasn't already been asked, ask it here!

farbeyonddriven
Orion2 wont start using patch 1.4

Postby farbeyonddriven » Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:50 am

First of all my computer specs are:
Intel core 2 duo 6400
1 gig ram
EVGA Geforce 7950 gt

First install:
First time i installed it i could get the Orion95.exe to load up just fine but when i ran the patch and tried to use the 1.4 i would just get a black screen with a red flashing cursor in the upper left hand cursor of the screen.

Second install:
I downloaded dosbox and ran install.exe and installed to default directory followed the step by step walkthrough but still only getting the flashing red cursor in the upper left corner of the screen. sometimes it will load a flashing "kali has been installed" prompt but usually just a flashing cursor

Lord Brazen
Site Admin

Re: Orion2 wont start using patch 1.4

Postby Lord Brazen » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:33 pm

First install:
First time i installed it i could get the Orion95.exe to load up just fine but when i ran the patch and tried to use the 1.4 i would just get a black screen with a red flashing cursor in the upper left hand cursor of the screen.
There are two Master of Orion II exe files by default. One is orion95.exe and the other is Orion2.exe. Orion95.exe is a windows version of the game. Orion2.exe is a DOS version. The 1.4 patch only patches the DOS orion2.exe. It creates another exe file Orion2v140.exe.

The problem you have here is that the DOS version of the game does not run for you. The symptom with the red flashing cursor is typical if the video driver for you video card is not compatible with some DOS games. You can usually solve this problem by installing a newer video driver.

Alternately, you can usually get the game to work in DOSBox even if your video driver is not compatible with DOS games.
Second install:
I downloaded dosbox and ran install.exe and installed to default directory followed the step by step walkthrough but still only getting the flashing red cursor in the upper left corner of the screen. sometimes it will load a flashing "kali has been installed" prompt but usually just a flashing cursor
The message "kali has been installed" should only occur if you double click the Master of Orion II v1.40 icon on your desktop. This is not how you start a game in DOSbox. To start a game in DOSbox you need to open DOSBox. At the DOSbox prompt you need to mount the drive (usually by typing "mount c c:/mps/orion2") then switch to the C driver (usually by typing "c:". Then run the game (usually by typing "orion2~1").
"Stars are holes in the sky from which the light of the Infinite shine through." - Confucius.

farbeyonddriven

Postby farbeyonddriven » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:20 pm

I installed the game through dosbox and im sure i could get the game running in dosxbox but how can i get kali working with dosbox is there a way i can create a shortcut that opens up Moo2 in dosbox with kali support!?

siron

Postby siron » Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:54 pm

Forget kali. Its just a chat client nowadays for us. You can play MP via dosbox without any kali. See the chat link at top of this page to find other dosbox players.

Return to “Support”