Disabling cheats.

Search these posts first and if your question hasn't already been asked, ask it here!

Revenge
Disabling cheats.

Postby Revenge » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:16 am

I thought the v140 had disabled the cheat codes in multiplayer games.
I have installed this version but the omni cheat is still working and it is too powerful to host a game with it.

Will be a version without this (and other) cheat?

Thanks ;)
From Spain, with love :)

ALEX|D

Postby ALEX|D » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:31 pm

... sure the omni, einstein etc cheats r in ... if u use it in a multiplayer game the other one will see that ! It make no sence to put these cheats out of the game .. !

http://lordbrazen.blogspot.com/2005/01/ ... h-faq.html

Revenge

Postby Revenge » Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:41 pm

If you say it, I will try, but I am not sure about it.

Does the program give a warning message to the other players when one of them uses a cheat like ISEEALL?

I can not check before host a game :(

I dislike cheats a lot in the games, even in single player games. The only utility I can find to them is for designers or programmers, but it is just my opinion ;)

About the link, that was the reason for my question; in the last point you can read:

5.2. Why do you plan to disable cheat codes in multiplayer games ?
There is no reason to cheat in a multiplayer game. If you want to cheat, do so in a single player game.

So… :oops:

ALEX|D

Postby ALEX|D » Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:26 pm

Yea player 1 gets a message if player 2 cheats with ISEEALL or so.

U can also make a save in turn 0 and if u think the other one cheats in some way, u can play, after the game, from his position.

Lord Brazen
Site Admin

Postby Lord Brazen » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:51 pm

5.2. Why do you plan to disable cheat codes in multiplayer games ?
There is no reason to cheat in a multiplayer game. If you want to cheat, do so in a single player game.

It's still on my todo list. Disabling cheats and encrypting save games for multi-player LAN games.
"Stars are holes in the sky from which the light of the Infinite shine through." - Confucius.

StepNRazor

Postby StepNRazor » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:36 pm

I realy realy like this idea of encrypting saves, extra happy me when this is working.
fraeking yay!!

Cabman

Postby Cabman » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:32 am

I would like to have the score points removed from the hotseat "load game" screen. I often look into my saves with other Mooers, and I believe this information shouldn't be displayed there.

Revenge

Postby Revenge » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:20 am

Thanks for your answers.
I really hope the new patch will coming soon without cheats in every multiplayer game system ;)

It would be very appreciate :)

I could find the cheater message inside “ENGMSG.LBX”, but could not find the cheat string codes. Are they encrypted inside the .exe file maybe?

siron

Postby siron » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:21 pm

Cheat codes are almost surely in the exe.

And I dont understand why this is a big issue for you. Just tell your friends they shouldnt even think about to use them, since the opponents get messages. (And a cheater cant disable the messages by editing his lbx files since the lbx file of his oppoenent matters.)

But encrypted saves are obviously a huge step forward. Loading via hotseat should be simply impossible without approriate password then.

Revenge

Postby Revenge » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:00 pm

That is the matter for me. I want to host a PBEM game with the hotseat system.
There are two ways:

- Sequential: Sending the hotseat SAVE to the first player in the sequence, saving and sending it to the next player. That way is impossible without a password per player, because you know, everyone can see the other players turn.

- Simultaneous: Get the hostseat SAVE, modify it and send to every player “the file of his race only”. That way needs a Game Master and the players have to write their orders to the GM. that will put inside the real game. Here it is my problem with the omni cheat. Everyone can use it, because the files are not the same :(

Siron, you are working in the FREE ORION project too, aren’t you? ;)

I hope you can understand my bad english :oops:

siron

Postby siron » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:06 pm

Oh, MOO2 PBEM is rarely played. I know 2 german PBEM crews....but prolly both are inactive now. (They also played strategical combat, not my taste)

Here is one of their sites: http://www.steinhorst-online.de/moo2/

Option 2 seems better when you want minimize the omni cheat problem. There are several Save editors in LBs DL section. The host could use them to alter the unexplored parts of the map. So no player gains info by cheating. But it is tedious to construct these saves each turn. The better solution seems to me: Just use a Saturday to finish that game. Play fast and in one row...so the others have not much of chance to omni cheat.

BTW, I just post on the FreeOrion board. Mainly when they post silly things about MOO2. IMO they are mainly MOO1 and MOO3 fans there. I am not really interested in their project.

Revenge

Postby Revenge » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:22 am

Gratefully for the link and to know that are people playing MoO2 PBEM, but I can not read German… enough with my little English… :lol:

There won’t be too difficult to modify the saves to send it to the players… It is enough to place every race but the one of the player like AI, and in this way, he can view all that he will be able to view without the other players turn ;)

Should be cost just between 5 and 10 minutes to modify and sent them…

I have installed and tried to play Free Orion, but I don’t like it. MoO1 was a very good game (not the same the 3rd) but free Orion loose al the good things of 1st and 2nd :cry:

It is a pity that people that are working there (and loves the MoO series) forget the best parts of those games and the things that make that serie different to other galactic games. It is an open code project, so I hope someone will get the right way some day :twisted:

Return to “Support”