Problems with autoexec.nt/autoexec2.nt dosx.exe/dosx_sp1.exe

Search these posts first and if your question hasn't already been asked, ask it here!

ALEX|D
Problems with autoexec.nt/autoexec2.nt dosx.exe/dosx_sp1.exe

Postby ALEX|D » Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:11 pm

Many new players have huge problems with "comm failure", which depends on, that not the right "autoexec" is loaded -> kalint.exe not loaded.

I´m not sure but it seems that, for some reasons, some "Windows-Versions" load the autoexec.nt, unless to that what u set on orion2v140.exe (%SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT or %SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC2.NT) by properties.

Further there r troubles with SP2 bug, which depens on dosx.exe (sp2 version). Many new Players have trouble to rename dosx.exe to dosx_sp1.exe and copy it in the system32 folder.

If it would be possible I would say, that the old autoexec.nt should be renamed to autoexec_backup.nt or so, while the AUTOEXEC2.NT should take the autoexec.nt name. Further "SP2 dosx" should be copyd or renamed, to backup it also, and the "old sp1 dosx" should replace the "SP2 dosx".

Lord Brazen
Site Admin

Re: Problems with autoexec.nt/autoexec2.nt dosx.exe/dosx_sp1

Postby Lord Brazen » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:28 am

If it would be possible I would say, that the old autoexec.nt should be renamed to autoexec_backup.nt or so, while the AUTOEXEC2.NT should take the autoexec.nt name. Further "SP2 dosx" should be copyd or renamed, to backup it also, and the "old sp1 dosx" should replace the "SP2 dosx".
Unfortunately there are several problems with this proposal. While I do agree it would be easier for new players, the impact of such a change would be negative.

Firstly, AUTOEXEC.NT is ran everytime you run a DOS program or batch file. Many programs use batch files as part of their installer (even windows programs) and I am not sure of the impact of loading Kalint.exe and a SP1 version of dosx.exe all the time. I seems ok with orion2 but what would happen to everything else.

Secondly, dosx.exe is a protected system file. Windows XP has windows file protection that prevents dosx.exe from being altered or overwritten. So basically replacing dosx.exe with an older version is not easy to implement. Also, I am not sure of the impact on system stability.
"Stars are holes in the sky from which the light of the Infinite shine through." - Confucius.

ALEX|D

Postby ALEX|D » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:00 am

@echo off

REM Load DOS mode CD-ROM support
lh %SystemRoot%\System32\mscdexnt.exe

REM Load DOS mode DPMI support
lh %SystemRoot%\System32\dosx_sp1

REM Set parameters for Sound Blaster Emulation
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330 T3

REM Load DOS mode Kali support
SET Kali=C:\PROGRA~1\Kali95\lh %Kali%KALINT.EXE %Kali%DLL\KALIVDD.DLL
Can u maybe change the part "SET Kali=C:\PROGRA~1\Kali95\" ?

Many Players just copy what u have written down there http://lordbrazen.blogspot.com/2005_01_ ... chive.html

Maybe a little hint that they need to put theyre own "kali-path" in ?

SET Kali=C:\PROGRA~1\Kali95\lh %Kali%KALINT.EXE (C:\PROGRA~1\Kali95 is for example, please fill ur own path in where u installd the kali programm)

Lord Brazen
Site Admin

Postby Lord Brazen » Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:13 am

Next you will need to edit the c:\windows\system32\autoexec2.nt file and make sure it reads as follows. Make sure the dosx_sp1 (bolded) is the same filename you used for the old dosx. Also, make sure the path to the Kali install folder (bolded) is correct.

@echo off

REM Load DOS mode CD-ROM support
lh %SystemRoot%\System32\mscdexnt.exe

REM Load DOS mode DPMI support
lh %SystemRoot%\System32\dosx_sp1

REM Set parameters for Sound Blaster Emulation
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330 T3

REM Load DOS mode Kali support
REM Set the Kali variable to match your own path to Kali install folder
SET Kali=C:\PROGRA~1\Kali95\
lh %Kali%KALINT.EXE %Kali%DLL\KALIVDD.DLL
I have updated the post. I hope it is clear enough now.

ALEX|D

Postby ALEX|D » Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:49 am

:) thx LB !

I hope this will avoid some problems !

--- edit 17nov´05 ---

SP1 version of dosx file >> dosxSP1.zip <<

Return to “Support”