Weapons fire missing planet

Search these posts first and if your question hasn't already been asked, ask it here!

day61
Weapons fire missing planet

Postby day61 » Mon May 08, 2006 4:37 am

I recently encountered an issue whereby shots from my ships would miss planets. Over several combat turns, the ships would simply miss. It seems that only "autofire" weapons are affected. The weapons fire animation follows the pattern of a "missed shot". But given a ship beam attack rating of 205 and a planet beam defence rating of -5, how can this be possible?

I have only encountered this issue with the following custom race settings:

Unification
Cybernetic
Food -.5
Ship Defence -20
Low Gravity
Tolerant

Only certain planets exhibit this "invincibility". Sending different ships, sending ships later (after a coupon of turns), or moving ships closer has no effect. I have encountered this problem (bug?) in both the 1.40 b22 patch and the original 1.31 patch

Is this a bug, and has anyone else encountered similar issues?

siron

Postby siron » Mon May 08, 2006 4:55 am

a) Beam Weapons do only half damage with respect to planet defense.
b) Your opponent had probably shields.

Be aware that even the normal shields "Class 3" etc. improve the planet defense. (Right click the planet to check out his shield level.)

So you had probably non heavy mass drivers and your opponent had Class3 Shields. In this case:

6*0.5-3 is simply 0.

Your beam offense value is useless then. All damage is simply blocked.

day61

Postby day61 » Mon May 08, 2006 5:00 am

I was using heavy mount, autofire, disrupters.

siron

Postby siron » Mon May 08, 2006 5:18 am

In this case your opponent must have had barrier shield and classX shield.

day61

Postby day61 » Mon May 08, 2006 1:02 pm

It is my understanding that the Barrier Shield applies only to planets, whereas the Class ? (I, III, V, VII, X) shields apply only to ships. Thus the damage reductions are independent and do not stack (are not cumulative with each other), since you can only build a Barrier Shield.

I have been unable to obtain the "shield level" by right clicking on the planet. Nothing happens when I right click. Where am I supposed to right click? In what screen (combat or normal game)?

The other issue is, I have played against computers who have had both Class X and Barrier Shield on the planet before, but the planet was damaged. What could explain this?

I am curious, I have been trying to find where it says that damage against a planet is reduced by one half. Could you please direct me to where that information could be found?

siron

Postby siron » Mon May 08, 2006 1:41 pm

It is my understanding that the Barrier Shield applies only to planets, whereas the Class ? (I, III, V, VII, X) shields apply only to ships. Thus the damage reductions are independent and do not stack (are not cumulative with each other), since you can only build a Barrier Shield.
You are wrong here. The Ship shields are automatically applied for planet defense. Sorry, no right click apparently. I meant simply "scan" the planet. The shields are listed there.
The other issue is, I have played against computers who have had both Class X and Barrier Shield on the planet before, but the planet was damaged. What could explain this?
When you have used exactly the same weapons its only possible with an ordnance leader or high energy focus.
I am curious, I have been trying to find where it says that damage against a planet is reduced by one half. Could you please direct me to where that information could be found?
Due to atmospheric reentry effects, all ship weapons except bombs
and missiles do only half damage to planets.
Master of Orion 2 Manual (PDF) p.136

day61

Postby day61 » Wed May 10, 2006 7:58 am

Thank you very much for the help, siron. I thought there was an issue with the game.

Return to “Support”