How to Get Master of Orion 2 To work on Win7(from cd)

Search these posts first and if your question hasn't already been asked, ask it here!

Spyton
How to Get Master of Orion 2 To work on Win7(from cd)

Postby Spyton » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:53 pm

On how To Install MOO2 On a Windows 7 Computer.

First put your MOO2 Disc into your disc Drive if you havent already.

The first thing you are going to have trouble with (in my experience) is The actual install.

Press start and find the Computer button on the right side of the menu. Open up your "computer" screen and right click your moo2 disc and click open/explore. Next find the "Arun", it should be blue and have 3 cube like things as its image. Right click that and run as administrator. Install as normal. If this does not work try the same thing with the Regular setup.

Now in the same folder as the "Arun" Application run a search for "Dplayx.dll" and "Dplay.dll" You can find them easy by just searching .dll as all dll files from the disc pull up. Keep this page up as you will have to copy and past them in a moment.

Ok Now open up your Start menu, Hit computer, double click your hard drive then go into "program files (x86)" Yours may or may not have an (X86) on it. You may have multiple seperate "program" folders find the right one.

After that find your "Microprose" folder and open it, Open the "Orion 2" Folder and then Paste the two .dll files i had you find earler into here. It should pop up a window each time asking for administrator permission just click allow.

Your game should run fine now, But wait.... Your colors are not correct! I have a solution for this too.

Hit your start menu once again and then open up your control panel. Then find the Display option. After that find the Adjust resolution on the left side and click, heres where it gets wierd... Dont do anything with this, just leave it open and start MOO2. Not as administrator and with no compatability. It should work fine!

A side note it may still pull up with wierd colors (though not as bad as before) alt tabbing might fix or closing and restarting moo2 will most likely fix it.

Running it in compatability mode actualy caused problems for me, such as wierd mouse flickering and such.

The Dplayx.dll file stops allot of the crashing issues, and that is why I had you add it in.

This is how i fixed it. Hope it helps. You may now clap in amazement! Hope you have fun playing MOO2.

If this is'nt precise enough or fuzzy on anything please comment and I might check this in the future and clarify.

half-fast

Postby half-fast » Thu May 02, 2013 7:39 am

You can also Download DosBox and run it in there, or even buy it from gog.com

vikpr

Re: How to Get Master of Orion 2 To work on Win7(from cd)

Postby vikpr » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:36 pm

Found the solution for the mouse glitch for those who like me wants to run the windows version under Win10. Just create and run the following .reg file:

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers] "C:\\Games\\Orion2\\Orion95.exe"="$ DWM8And16BitMitigation Layer_ForceDirectDrawEmulation"
Make sure to put the correct path to your Orion95 file location. On my PC it works without any other compatibility options.

Return to “Support”