Comm failure error (1.31 DOS) and unable to run 1.4 patch

Search these posts first and if your question hasn't already been asked, ask it here!

Torin
Comm failure error (1.31 DOS) and unable to run 1.4 patch

Postby Torin » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:06 pm

I am able to load MOO2 DOS (1.31) and play but I cannot start a network game (comm failure).

I am also unable to load the 1.40b22 patch exe
(bad command or file name) - same error on two different computers

I am running XP SP2. I have installed the IPX/SPX network protocols (and done a restart)

Regarding comm failure = I have changed the autoexec file for orion2 (1.31) to autoexec2.nt. I have changed the autoexec2.nt file according to Lord Brazen's instructions for LAN games on Windows XP Pro - this does not help.

Regarding 1.4 bad command or file name - I have done multiple installations of the game and patched it multiple times. I am positive I am doing everything correctly (installing game using install.exe, copying CD to c: drive, fixing orion.ini, patching to 1.31, patching to 1.4, and correcting the dig.ini and mid.ini settings).

At this point I'm really losing my nerve - I don't know what else to try. Any help on getting 1.4 to work or getting network play to work on 1.31 DOS would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Cabman

Postby Cabman » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:19 am

http://masteroforion2.blogspot.com/2004 ... nline.html Here is a link to kali guide for online play. Just follow the steps (see chapter 11E for comm failure) This should help also with your other problem.

siron

Postby siron » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:28 am

Regarding comm failure = I have changed the autoexec file for orion2 (1.31) to autoexec2.nt.
If I understand you correctly you changed autoexec.nt manually to autoexec2.nt before you patched with MOO2v140b22_patch.exe. Autoexec.nt is needed by all DOS programs besides orion2v140.exe (thats the new orion2.exe after 1.4 patch). So the dos application MOO2v140b22_patch.exe wont run without autoexec.nt.

Torin

Postby Torin » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:07 pm

I am trying to get a LAN game going - I have no interest in KALI right now.

Siron - you have misunderstood me. I have not changed any file names. I installed the 1.40 b22 patch and ran it. It creates autoexec2.nt and dosx_sp1.exe etc...

I re-assigned the orion2.exe (dos 1.31 version) to use autoexec2.nt instead of autoexec.net. This does not fix the comm failure error.

I already did this:http://lordbrazen.blogspot.com/2005/01/ ... ws-xp.html

I did chapter 11E for comm failure - this does nothing - I still get a comm failure error when trying to start a multiplayer network game with the orion2.exe (DOS 1.31) program. The patched .exe will not run at all (bad command of file name error).

I downloaded the latest rkernal file and patched again. This does not change anything. I moved my dosx_sp1.exe file to a different folder and changed autoexec2.nt to reflect this - this does nothing. I downloaded vwipxspx.dll and nw16.dll and put them in my system 32 folder. I notice when I try to start orion2 (1.4 or 1.31) that I get two 'file not found' lines which I suspect is for these files. I don't understand why - the files are there and I have checked and re-checked the autoexec2.net command line.

When I go to the command line from windows and to type in orion2v140 or orion2v140.exe it still says 'bad command or file name'. I cannot rename the file using Windows explorer even though I am logged on as an admin - it says the file is being used by another program or file. I am wondering if the file name itself is causing the problem??

I've scoured the forums and tried everything short of DOSbox/Virtual Machine- none of these are really options as I want to play on a LAN and I don't want to have to buy something to get MOO2 working (and I've read that DOSbox is too slow).

I am thinking about trying Hamachi. I have two computers on a wireless network. Will Hamachi allow me to play a multiplayer game this way? Each computer is assigned a different IP address but we only have one internet connection (DSL mode to wireless router to computers).

siron

Postby siron » Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:18 am

I cannot rename the file using Windows explorer even though I am logged on as an admin - it says the file is being used by another program or file. I am wondering if the file name itself is causing the problem??
We have observed this kind of problem here:
viewtopic.php?t=20
I've scoured the forums and tried everything short of DOSbox/Virtual Machine- none of these are really options as I want to play on a LAN and I don't want to have to buy something to get MOO2 working (and I've read that DOSbox is too slow).
BTW. Have you tried kali? You dont have to buy it...and when you are able to use the 1.31 dos exe with patched rkernel.com file it should work. When kali IPX simulation works the comm failure is prolly caused by your IPX. No other idea to figure out your problem.

Torin

Postby Torin » Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:29 pm

Siron - thanks for replying.

I read that thread but I did not see anything about fixing the 'bad command or file name' error I get when trying to run the patch. Am I missing something? It would not suprise me - my brain is fried from trying to get 1.4 and DOS to work.

Yesterday I went ahead and installed the 1.31 Windows exe and Hamachi.

Hamachi is just as slow as a regular LAN game with the 1.31 Windows exe - I noticed in another post someone said there is no lag with Hamachi and the Windows exe - I do not think this is true.

I think I may try Kali. Is there much lag when using it? I have DSL through a wireless router.

I've got another question for the experts here regarding OCL.

I made my own custom rules using regular OCL to the Windows exe. If I am ever able to get the DOS exe or 1.4 patch exe running will I be able to use my custom rules txt file with OCL plus?

Lord Brazen
Site Admin

Postby Lord Brazen » Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:57 am

Hi Torin,
When I go to the command line from windows and to type in orion2v140 or orion2v140.exe it still says 'bad command or file name'.
Off the top of my head here are some possible reasons you could get this error (forgive me if some of these are obvious):
  1. if you did not use the command cd to change to the correct directory before trying to run orion2v140.
  2. if the file orion2v140.exe does not exist.
  3. if the autoexec2.nt has a bad command within it. Maybe there is some reference to kali in your autoexec2.nt (you mentioned you dont have kali). Also, if your following the Hamachi or LAN game setup instructions from this site they are for XP Pro and not XP Home. The commands in your autoexec2.nt will be 'bad commands' in XP Home if you follow those directions.
  4. if something is not right with your short filenames. For example the file orion2~1.exe is usually orion2v140.exe. Check how many orion2~#.exe files there are in your orion2 folder. You can only do this from the command prompt by typing dir *.exe. It should display the short filenames. In the shortcut on your desktop there is also a reference to the orion2~1.exe...make sure your really running the right thing.
I cannot rename the file using Windows explorer even though I am logged on as an admin - it says the file is being used by another program or file. I am wondering if the file name itself is causing the problem??
I have looked at this problem. It effects all DOS apps on my machine and not just Orion2v140.exe. To delete any DOS app you will need to do it from the command prompt. You may need to terminate explorer.exe (your start menu will disappear at this point) from the task manager to do it. Use the task manager to open the command prompt then use DOS commands to do whatever you wanted to do. Then use the task manager to run explorer.exe again (that brings back your start menu).
I made my own custom rules using regular OCL to the Windows exe. If I am ever able to get the DOS exe or 1.4 patch exe running will I be able to use my custom rules txt file with OCL plus?
Yes you can but you will need to edit you mod file and change the first few line that indicate the OCL version plus add in all the extra fields for the new features at the end of the file. Just take a look at a file generated by OCLplus and cut an paste the sections that are missing into you mod file. Its not hard.
"Stars are holes in the sky from which the light of the Infinite shine through." - Confucius.

siron

Postby siron » Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:06 pm

Ah yes. This reminds me I had similar (german) error messages when I copied my whole moo folder for my mods. Even when you launch the modded exe in this new directory directly....you have to update the pif...otherwise the exe in your old folder is launched. Tricky dos.

Torin

Postby Torin » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:35 pm

Lord Brazen - I am running XP Home with SP2. Could you post what l need in autoexec file? This would be greatly appreciated.

As far as bad file names/commands - I installed the game using install.exe from a command prompts, copied the files from the CD to the MOO2 folder on the hard drive (MPS/ORION2), changed the orion.ini to the MPS/ORION2 folder, installed 1.31 patch, installed 1.40 b22 patch. I've done this multiple times on 2 different computers - I am pretty sure I've followed your instructions.

Thanks so much for trying to help. These windows LAN/Hamachi games have brutal lag at the end of turns.

Lord Brazen
Site Admin

Postby Lord Brazen » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:26 pm

I am running XP Home with SP2. Could you post what l need in autoexec file? This would be greatly appreciated.
Here are some instructions that I just added to my site for XP Home LAN games. I have tested it briefly (a few turns) and it works for me.

edit: fixed the link
Last edited by Lord Brazen on Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Stars are holes in the sky from which the light of the Infinite shine through." - Confucius.

siron

Postby siron » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:29 pm

It seems thats the wrong link?!

I guess you meant this here:
http://lordbrazen.blogspot.com/2006/03/ ... ws-xp.html

Morte

Postby Morte » Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:39 am

Hi Torin,

[...]
As far as bad file names/commands - I installed the game using install.exe from a command prompts, copied the files from the CD to the MOO2 folder on the hard drive (MPS/ORION2), changed the orion.ini to the MPS/ORION2 folder, installed 1.31 patch, installed 1.40 b22 patch. I've done this multiple times on 2 different computers - I am pretty sure I've followed your instructions.
So did I, and I had pretty much the same problem.
But some minutes ago I solved the problem.

I just renamed Orion2v140b23.exe to Orion2x.exe and I also changed the filename in the PIF to Orion2x.exe.
Now starting the patched version 1.4 works for me.

May be the DOS-box on my "WinXP home german" is configured that it is using only long filenames and NO ~1 shortcut names. At least a dir command only shows long filenames. The answers from Lord Brazen and Sirion just pointed me in the right direction.

Bye, Morte.

Return to “Support”