another mouse problem

Search these posts first and if your question hasn't already been asked, ask it here!

maeckes
another mouse problem

Postby maeckes » Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:40 pm

hey all,

this time its not the glitchy mouse problem but another.

i want to play moo2 1.40 over kali.
when i double click the shortcut on my desktop everything starts fine, i get to the main menu. there, the mouse is restricted to the top left quarter of the screen. i cant get any further to the right or the bottom, so i cant click any option in the main menu. i had these problem in other oldies when starting them without some programm like dosbox, vdm sound or so.

is there a solution to get this working without using dosbox etc?
i want to play on kali so as far as i know i shoud not use such programs, should i?

thank for any help

edit: i have win2k

EDIT2:

ok, found out that the dos version is unplayable on 2000...

i installed vmware, win98, everything went fine, but...
i can run the 95 version, the 1.40 dos version just doesnt load, just a big black screen there so i heve to reboot the virtual machiene :(

any ideas how to fix this?

Northwood

Postby Northwood » Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:59 am

I have exactly the same problem in my W2K. Mouse just glued to the upper-left corner of the welcome screen.
Is DOS version really unplayable on w2k? on wxp it runs very well.

maeckes

Postby maeckes » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:50 am

yeah, is there no easy fix (perhaps a small patch) possible?

i have tried various virtual PCs etc. nothing works :(

im nearly that desperate, that im planning to istall windows xp ^.^

Lord Brazen
Site Admin

Re: another mouse problem

Postby Lord Brazen » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:57 am

The mouse is restricted to the top left quarter of the screen. i cant get any further to the right or the bottom, so i cant click any option in the main menu. i had these problem in other oldies when starting them without some programm like dosbox, vdm sound or so.
Yes, this is one of the problems with windows 2000 and DOS applications. My understanding is that you will need to load a DOS mouse manager (like mouse.com) instead of using the emulated mouse support in ntvdm. To do this you just add it to your autoexec.nt file. I dont have windows 2000 to test this.
i installed vmware, win98, everything went fine, but...
i can run the 95 version, the 1.40 dos version just doesnt load, just a big black screen there so i heve to reboot the virtual machiene :(
This problem I have noticed also with the newer versions of vmware. I have only been able to get this to work with an old version of vmware on linux. I did try the latest vmware player and found the screen went black at the intro movie. I have no solution to this. I suggest you use VirtualPC instead. It works perfectly.
"Stars are holes in the sky from which the light of the Infinite shine through." - Confucius.

maeckes

Re: another mouse problem

Postby maeckes » Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:38 am

Yes, this is one of the problems with windows 2000 and DOS applications. My understanding is that you will need to load a DOS mouse manager (like mouse.com) instead of using the emulated mouse support in ntvdm. To do this you just add it to your autoexec.nt file. I dont have windows 2000 to test this.
tried it, doesnt change anything. used the mouse.com and several other drivers.
This problem I have noticed also with the newer versions of vmware. I have only been able to get this to work with an old version of vmware on linux. I did try the latest vmware player and found the screen went black at the intro movie. I have no solution to this. I suggest you use VirtualPC instead. It works perfectly.
i tried several versions of vmware and virtual pc and they all dont work.
with virtual pc and win98 my mouse just freezes and i cant move it a bit, when i enter moo2 main menu... funny thing is that the cursor still works when i enter hte menu, before the control panel with the buttons has fully come to stand still. after that it still works, but i just cant see it. i can just gues where i am pointing ^ ^ i also tried the mouse drivers, no chance.

edit:
when i launch the game in "real" dos mode (by rebooting 98 in dos mode) all work fine. but then i cant play over kali, can i?
edit end

i didn't mention:
in win2k, when i press the esc-button in main menu, i see a bunch of cryptic code all over my screen in orange, big, dos-like letters and then the programm crashes, just like in good old dos-days ^ ^

Northwood

Postby Northwood » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:17 am

Well guys, I spit on this f***ng w2k and just installed wxp. Moo runs and plays.

maeckes

Postby maeckes » Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:52 am

yeah, i think i will play moo2 on my girls laptop for internet matches. just wasted to much nights trying to get this work ^ ^

Return to “Support”