Install v1.40 for Dummies!

Search these posts first and if your question hasn't already been asked, ask it here!

mentaltyranny
Install v1.40 for Dummies!

Postby mentaltyranny » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:21 am

While my copy of MoO2 had v1.40 preinstalled, a brief look over the forums shows that there are quite a few people who do not understand how to use DOSBox in order to install the patch. Maybe because Lord Brazen does not want to endorse a specific product, the readme is silent on this issue. So here are my ten point instructions for installing v1.40 over DOSBox:

1. Back-up your current MoO2 folder.
2. Uninstall MoO2 and delete the installation folder.
3. Reinstall MoO2 to a simple directory like c:\moo2
4. Update to the offical v1.31 patch if your version does not already contain that update.
5. Unzip the unofficial v1.40 patch into your installation folder. Make sure that the folder which contains MOO2v140.EXE also contains orion2.exe. Do NOT run the patch.
6. Install DOSBox if you have not done so already. Start DOSBox.
7. At the DOSBox prompt (Z:\>), type "mount c YOUR MOO2 INSTALLATION PATH" without qoutes. Make sure the installation path begins with a drive letter and ends with a forward slash "\". What you type should look something like this "mount c c:\moo2\"
8. Still in DOSBox, type C: then press ENTER. If you did everything right, it should say C:\> now.
9. Now type after C:\>, "MOO2v140.EXE" and press ENTER follow the prompt in DOSBox to install the v1.40 patch. The installation completes when the prompt says C:\> again.
10. At the prompt type, "M2V140.exe" and the game should run. Make sure it says v1.40 under the main menu.

If the above failed, reply with the exact step it failed. That should allow someone else or myself to trouble shoot.

Also, using this method, anytime you want to re-run MoO2, you will have to follow these steps (I know there's a way to setup a .conf file with a shortcut, but that is beyond me; if you know how, please reply):

1. Start DOSBox. At the DOSBox prompt (Z:\>), type "mount c YOUR MOO2 INSTALLATION PATH" without qoutes. Make sure the installation path begins with a drive letter and ends with a forward slash "\". What you type should look something like this "mount c c:\moo2\"
2. Still in DOSBox, type C: then press ENTER. If you did everything right, it should say C:\> now.
3. At the prompt type, "M2V140.exe" and the game should run. Make sure it says v1.40 under the main menu.

I hope this helps!
Abuse of the Mind

Return to “Support”