Switching between versions of the patch

Search these posts first and if your question hasn't already been asked, ask it here!

Gusset
Switching between versions of the patch

Postby Gusset » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:23 am

Lately I've switched between b19 and b20 a couple of times, but running the patch file leads to some sort of error involving KaliNT and not meeting VCPI or DPMI specs.

So I try to delete orion2v140.exe, but cannot. I get a window stating that,

"Cannot delete Orion2v140.exe. It is being used by another person or program. Close any programs that might be using the file and try again."

This message occurs even before I have tried to run any programs at all (except Windows Explorer) just after starting the system.

The workaround is to boot into Safe Mode/command prompt and delete it there. Then I can run the patch file and everything is fine.

This is XP SP2.

Not looking for a fix necessarily, because I have a workaround, but if there is a solution or if this is symptomatic of a problem on my system, I'd be interested in hearing it.

-Gusset

Lord Brazen
Site Admin

Re: Switching between versions of the patch

Postby Lord Brazen » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:30 pm

running the patch file leads to some sort of error involving KaliNT and not meeting VCPI or DPMI specs.
I have noticed this error also on occasion but can usually fix it by allowing the patch to create a new desktop icon. If I you pick no to create a new icon, you can get this message. I will look into this bug.
I get a window stating that, "Cannot delete Orion2v140.exe. It is being used by another person or program. Close any programs that might be using the file and try again."
This I believe is something wrong with your system. Maybe we can figure it out. I do have some questions.

1. Is this XP PRO or HOME?
2. Is the file system NTFS?
3. Are you using an account with administrative permissions?
4. When you goto safe mode to delete the file, are you using the same user account?

siron

Postby siron » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:06 pm

So I try to delete orion2v140.exe, but cannot. I get a window stating that,

"Cannot delete Orion2v140.exe. It is being used by another person or program. Close any programs that might be using the file and try again."
different kali users who tried my old mod versions told me about same problem when they tried a backup of orion2v140.exe. (Therefore I modded my mods that you dont need a backup any longer.)

This can happen under 98, ME and XP.

But also the 1.31 dos exe has same problem IIRC.

Lord Brazen
Site Admin

Postby Lord Brazen » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:03 pm

My understanding of what Gusset said is that he can't delete the file even after rebooting. The moment he installs it, it is stuck there.

I've never seen this before. Sure maybe you wouldn't be able to delete the file after you run it once because the OS still thinks the program is using the file, but after reboot it should work?

There are registry keys that can perminently lock a file and prevent it from being deleted but this is a DOS program. Its not even aware of the registry.

He may have some sort of NTFS permission assigned to the file which prevents it from being deleted...He may not be marked as the owner of the file....He may have it flagged as read only....So many possibilities.

This I do know though. I am able to delete the file on all of my machines (various OS).

I'd like to be able to duplicate this if many people are having this issue. Maybe I can fix it.

Gusset

Postby Gusset » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:27 pm

This I believe is something wrong with your system. Maybe we can figure it out. I do have some questions.

1. Is this XP PRO or HOME?
2. Is the file system NTFS?
3. Are you using an account with administrative permissions?
4. When you goto safe mode to delete the file, are you using the same user account?
1. XP Home
2. Yes, it is NTFS
3 & 4. I think the answer is yes to both, but I am only 99% certain. When I go into User Accounts in the control panel, the default login that we use has a sub-heading of "Computer Administrator", so it seems rather obvious that it does. However when booting into safe mode, it gives me a choice of said default account, plus "Administrator". I THINK I used the "normal" login. (after posting this I will go verify if the normal account can do it from inside safe mode).

I checked the properties as your last message suggested, it is not flagged as read-only. I don't know how to check NTFS permissions, or anything else.

And to clarify, I am unable to delete the file even after a reboot. It gives the same message.

I hope this does not cause any loss of sleep or productivity...half the reason I posted this was just in case someone else had the same issue, they might be able to use the same solution I came up with! :)

-Gusset

siron

Postby siron » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:44 am

My understanding of what Gusset said is that he can't delete the file even after rebooting.
Yes. There are at least 5-6 players who told me that they had same problem.

siron

Postby siron » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:40 am

BTW gusset. Why do you switch the orion2v140.exe at all?

Just running the different patch exes is enuff (AFAIK).

I heard some guys have now also problems to rename the dosx.exe under XP. Seems the same problem.

Gusset

Postby Gusset » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:24 am

BTW gusset. Why do you switch the orion2v140.exe at all?

Just running the different patch exes is enuff (AFAIK).

I heard some guys have now also problems to rename the dosx.exe under XP. Seems the same problem.
I'm not certain of the exact question you are asking, so here's more info than you probably want.

I needed to switch between patches because my opponents were not all using the same patch. Some wanted to play b19, some wanted to play b20. It was as simple as that.

I used to just run the different patch installer. Then, a shortly before I started this thread, that stopped working (and I started getting the error message mentioned above). That is how this whole issue came to my attention. I do not know why it stopped working, and I've racked my brain trying to figure out what might have changed on my PC to cause this. Anyway, it took me a while to figure out that removing the executable made the patch installers work again (this took a while because I couldn't delete the thing in the first place, see my first post in this thread).

At the moment, the patch installers are able to over-write orion2v140.exe again, so I don't need to delete the file to get it to work. However, I am still unable to delete the file itself.

-Gusset

siron

Postby siron » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:46 am

Ah yes. Thx. When I reread the thread I missed your first sentence. :oops:

Everything clear now.

The exe-deleting is a mystery. After several restarts it works sometimes for me....(when this problem occurs.)

Lord Brazen
Site Admin

Postby Lord Brazen » Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:13 pm

Windows XP pre-caching system may be using or locking the file when you boot. Try one of the pre-caching cleaner toolsout there. I have personally seen the pre-caching system do some strange things. Who knows.

It also could be the file is being accessed by another program such as a virus scanner. Make sure those programs are closed.

Also check the NTFS permissions. In XP Home this can most easily be checked if you log in as "Administrator" in safe mode. Browse to the file in My Computer. Right click the orion2v140.exe file and pick properties. Goto the security tab. Check the permissions. The "Users" group should have "Full Control" permission. If not, you may not be able to delete the file.

There are so many possibilities.....
"Stars are holes in the sky from which the light of the Infinite shine through." - Confucius.

Arralen

Postby Arralen » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:10 pm

Have this undeletable file on my win2k-machine now, too.
And I'm pretty sure there's nothing "fundamentally" wrong with my machine.

I cannot delete the file even after booting into save mode and logging in as Administrator. Looks like the locked file by the NTFS file system for some reason. I can't remember, though, if the patchb22.exe crashed upon execution, therefore never freeing the file. But I'm pretty sure the b23 version crashes upon execution and produces lots of undeletable "Orion2v140.exe" and "copy of Orion2v140.exe" files.

I have been searching for a solution, but all I have found is this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_locking

As soon as I have found something in M$ knowledgebase or somewhere else I'll let you know. I think there's a tool somewhere, maybe on sysinternals, which lets you reset the file lock flag, but I might missremember.

Arralen

The solution (at least, in my case)

Postby Arralen » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:18 pm

I havn't found an answer, but at least I've found a solution:

Using the "PendMoves" tool package from Sysinternals
( http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/pendmoves.html )
, I was able to remove the oldes offending Orion2v140.22.exe. After that, the newer Orion2v140.exe and "Copy of" files where removable with administrative rights as well.

Run the tool and explorer with admin rights through "run as", it was not necessary to log in as administrator.

Return to “Support”