Install issues on WinXp

Search these posts first and if your question hasn't already been asked, ask it here!

Velvet Devil
Install issues on WinXp

Postby Velvet Devil » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:51 am

When attempting to use the DOS "INSTALL.EXE" file rather than the Win95 install file, I can reach the gree/grey graphic screen (which you showed a picture of), and can specify a path just fine. After hitting the "install" button on this screen, however, the screen goes black for a few seconds then flashes a short line of text too quickly to read and the installation ends prematurely. I never make it to the sound config.

Is this issue known to you? Ideas, suggestions?

I have tried the win95 installation, which works fine, along with patching, but will then receive the network error to which the solution was supposedly installing with the DOS exe instead. I seem to be caught in a no-win situation :(

Lord Brazen
Site Admin

Re: Install issues on WinXp

Postby Lord Brazen » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:16 pm

After hitting the "install" button on this screen, however, the screen goes black for a few seconds then flashes a short line of text too quickly to read and the installation ends prematurely(
I've not heard of this issue, but maybe if we can figure out what that message was, we can figure it out.

Try this to make the message stay on the screen.

1. Use My Computer to browse to the windows folder (C:\windows\ typically).
2. Find the file "_default". It has a msdos icon. Right click it and pick properties.
3. On the _default properties window goto the programs tab and remove the checkmark from "Close on exit".
4. Now try running the install.exe for orion2.

Hopefully the error message will stay on the screen now. Post it in the forum here so that maybe we can suggest a solution.

Velvet Devil

Postby Velvet Devil » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:01 pm

Thank you for the quick help, sir.

I followed your directions, and indeed the text line remained visible. It says:

filedata.lbx [entry 7889516] exceeds number of LBX entries.

Can you make heads or tails of that?

Lord Brazen
Site Admin

Postby Lord Brazen » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:19 pm

filedata.lbx [entry 7889516] exceeds number of LBX entries.
Looks like the file is corrupt. The only time I have seen that error is when a file is damaged.

Check to see if your CD is scratched or dirty.

You might be able to find a place to download it. Check PK's site.

Velvet Devil

Postby Velvet Devil » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:48 pm

Thank you for the help. I think I may have to download a fresh copy.

I'm at a loss as to who PK is, though...

EDIT: Scratch that, I sese you linked a "PK Imperium" in your community links. Sorry for not noticing earlier.

Return to “Support”