Installing 1.40 patch

Search these posts first and if your question hasn't already been asked, ask it here!

drspock
Installing 1.40 patch

Postby drspock » Mon May 17, 2010 11:32 pm

Hi,

As other people have mentioned, the patch can't install under Windows 7 64-bit. The solution that seemed to be offered to this was to install on a non Windows 7 machine and copy the patched files over. My question is it possible for the new files to simply be posted in a .rar or .zip file? It would be a lot simpler then instructing people to use a separate computer, and in my case, necessary as I don't have access to an older machine at home anymore.

Thanks for any responses.

Lord Brazen
Site Admin

Postby Lord Brazen » Tue May 18, 2010 12:14 pm

This issue is really not the patch.

The patch is for the DOS version of the game only. The DOS version of the game can only be run on OS's that support 16-bit DOS programs. Vista and Windows 7 cannot run DOS games directly.

In short you need DOSbox. The game and the patch can run fine in DOSbox on any OS.

The only issue you may experience is that you may not have the DOS version of the game. Not all Orion II CD's came with the DOS version. My CD has both DOS and windows versions. The patch will not patch the windows version.

drspock

Postby drspock » Tue May 18, 2010 1:45 pm

Thanks for your response.

I am actually running the DOS version of the game under DOSBox. It doesn't let me run the patch executable under DOS however. I get a "this program can not be run under DOS" message.

If you can make an archive file with whatever the executable installs that would be really helpful.

Lord Brazen
Site Admin

Postby Lord Brazen » Sat May 22, 2010 8:26 pm

I have rebuilt the exe that applies the patch. It should now run from within DOSbox. It is in the download section.

http://lordbrazen.blogspot.com/2005/01/download.html

drspock

Postby drspock » Mon May 24, 2010 7:06 pm

Thanks very much for that. It installs with no problem now.

Adam Rinkleff

Postby Adam Rinkleff » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:17 pm

It doesn't work for me in 64-bit, I am using DOSBox. Isn't there some way to get this in a .rar format?

Never mind, it works.

Return to “Support”