MoO2 doesn't run under Win 7 64-bit

Search these posts first and if your question hasn't already been asked, ask it here!

Viper2024
MoO2 doesn't run under Win 7 64-bit

Postby Viper2024 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:50 pm

I have really a big problem. MoO 2 is my favorite game of all time and I want install it on my laptop but it doesn't work.

Have anyone a suggestion?

Viper2024

Postby Viper2024 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:38 pm

ok now it runs :D

I researched for a solution and I found one.

1. Copy all files from the CD to the harddisk.
2. Create with the editor (Win prog) the orioncd.ini file (only the file is important the content plays no role)
3. Start MoO2 with Orion95 (orion2 will not work)

But unfortunately you have really strange colors and all tips I found so far don't work under Win 7 64-bit. :lol:

Maybe someone here have a advice for me.

Tarnom D.

Solution to run Master of Orion 2 on windows Seven (64 bits)

Postby Tarnom D. » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:48 am

Hello

Thank to Viper 2024, your tip was so usefull.

I'm no used to post on forum, i apologize for my pathetic english.

I just spend so many time to found that, i have to share the complet method :

Step 1.

Take the CD or *.iso file (and mount it).

Step 2.a

With Windows 7 32 bit, no problème, you can install from the autorun in compatibility mode.

Step 2.b

With 64 bit version, copy all files to vour "programme files(x86)" directory in a new "Orion95" folder (cause you can't install the game from the cd.)

Step 3 :

Mater of Orion use direct X 3.x (nostalgy...), you have to copy "DPLAY.DLL" and "DPLAY.INI" on the C:Windows/ folder.
This step'll allow to launch the game.

Step 4 :

If you try to launch Orion95.exe, a file will be missing, the one how contains informations about the CD : orioncd.ini (cause you have copy a CD on harddrive). You can create an empty file, with notepad, named orioncd.ini an save it on the "*/programme files(x85)/orion95/" folder. Amazing computers...

Step 5 :

Adjust compatibility mode (right click on Orion95.exe==> propreties ==> compatibility)
Differents settings are working, depending of your hardware and software, I guess.
I think it's better to launch the game on ''640 x 480'' and to disable ''scalling on High DPI...".

Step 6 :

Launch orion95.exe from your programme files directory and pray.

Obviously, you'll have a black screen. Use Ctrl + Alt + Delete to launch "task manager" and shut down "explorer.exe" process. Your Windows desktop will disapear (freaky). Do the Alt + tab trick to switch to the game. Just pass the first screen to have normal colors.

Advises :

- The stranges colors are consequences for bad configuration on compatibility settings, just try again and again.

- The native résolution of your screen can be a problem : configure resolution to 800x600 max and, if you have multiple monitors, play on your main.

- On the planete screen don't click on buildings, the soft will crash.

- When you close the game, don't panic and use the task manager to launch a new explorer process to restore desktop.

Conclusion :

- Good luck and good play for the one how succeded this trick.

I hope i was understandable enough

Enjoy

Tarnom D.

rkennington

Re: MoO2 doesn't run under Win 7 64-bit

Postby rkennington » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:14 pm

Using Tarnom D.'s steps and a couple of other suggestions, I've put together the steps that worked for me to install and play MoO2 under Win7 64 bit.

1. Go to C:\Program Files (x86) and create a folder called Microprose. Open that folder and then create another folder called Orion2.
2. Explore the MoO2 CD and copy everything to the Orion2 folder you created in step 1.
3. Create a new blank text file in the folder and name it "orioncd.ini". It doesn't need any content, but it must be present for MoO2 to launch.
4. Locate and download the moo2v131 patch. Extract the files to the Orion2 folder and overwrite any duplicates.
5. Locate and download the Orion95v131mousefix.exe and extract Orion95.exe to the Orion2 folder and overwrite the existing one. This fixes a bug where the mouse would stop responding when a pop-up came up on the screen.
6. Go to C:\Windows\SysWOW64. Copy dplayx.dll, and rename the copy to dplay.dll.
7. Create a batch file and copy the lines below into it:

TASKKILL /F /IM "explorer.exe"
cd C:\"Program Files (x86)"\Microprose\Orion2
start /w C:\"Program Files (x86)"\Microprose\Orion2\Orion95.exe
start C:\Windows\explorer.exe

8. You can save the batch file directly to your desktop if you want, but if you want the shortcut to look like MoO2 is installed normally, save the batch file to the Orion2 directory then create a desktop shortcut. Right-click on the shortcut and choose Properties to rename the shortcut to "Master of Orion II" and change the icon to use Orion2.ico from the Orion2 directory.
9. To play a game, double-click the batch file (or the shortcut) to start the game. Since all the files are on your hard drive, the CD is not needed.

The only quirk is that when you end a game, you get an error and it tries to send a report to Microsoft, but that happened to me in XP too. I admit that I'm not using patch 1.40 so I don't know how that might change things, but these steps allowed me to install and play MoO2, and I didn't have to change compatibility mode or my screen resolution or anything, so I'm satisfied to stay on patch 1.31.

I hope this helps someone else. Good luck!
Last edited by rkennington on Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

pk-warmoo

Re: MoO2 doesn't run under Win 7 64-bit

Postby pk-warmoo » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:31 am

simply install dosbox and run dos version. it works really nice :)
Regards,

PK

pk@warmoo.com / http://www.warmoo.com- new WarMoo Mod for Orion!

Return to “Support”