Difficult Choice Mod

Information, How-to's, and discussion about mod'ing Master of Orion II.
Cabman

Postby Cabman » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:00 am

Wow, that must be a race like AqSubPop+100Prd+1
Nope, Unitol prod lhw with superb start (urich in hw and natives in 1 st system)...save aviable :)
And +50 ShpAtk seemed overkill, with when one has many ships, or unnecessary with Maulers or Stellar converters (autohit), or Pulson-mirvs (depending on the foes defenses).
In late games initiative is most important factor : generally, you move first => you win the battle. +50 ba helps a lot then. Missiles are good only in early mid game ( with good computer and beams you can shoot them easilly)
I usually didn't choose SA or GC, as Telepathic never needed GC, plus Transports are so cheap, when not Telep.
In our multiplayer games raids with tractors and transporters are very popular and the only weapon against it is good gc bonus... Right ..our disscusion is off topic ...shutting my mouth :)

martock

Postby martock » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:58 pm

I'm really loving this MOD but I have to wonder what is it about bombs that makes the AI overload every ship with them. I have see Doom Stars with 99 any bomb in one weapon slot with a further 39-99 of the same bomb in the next slot!!

Still, this MOD definitely lives up to its name. For the first time, I am actually playing a game where the AI won the diplomatic race (aka the vote) and I am now stuck in a war against the entire galaxy.

Besides the thing with bombs, I noticed that because of the change in cost for the Racial picks, that the Evolutionary Mutation tech isn't that good anymore. Because the cost went up, the 4 picks don't allow a whole lot of choices when this tech comes into play. If possible, I would suggest increasing it to 6 (but no more than that) to allow a greater choice.

siron

Postby siron » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:19 pm

I actually havent analyzed the late game AI yet. IIRC the AI in regular moo already uses to many bombs...well they are crap there. Obviously the AI algorithm takes the size and damage changes into account. At least they are useful in this mod....and you can easily lose a MP game by using too few bombs.

The evo mutation idea is quite nice. Mebbe LB has a clue where I can adjust this value.

Matthew

DC mod

Postby Matthew » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:47 am

I played a single player game with the DC mod.

My racepick was Demo Aquatic +0.5 BC +LRHW +Artifacts with -gc -def

There was some luck because I got a +30% science leader for my homeworld. There was also several other good leaders that helped.

My early neigbor was the Elerians who tried to rush but retreated because I had some ships built soon after they declared. The main competitor was the Psilons. They maintained a good parity in tech and pop for a while. They declared just as I was finishing off the Elerians but were defeated by a fighter garrison/starbase. Their ships could move from system to system very quickly and they took out a few of the worlds I took from the Elerians before I was able to counter attack. The gnolams were encountered mid-game. They were way behind in tech so they wanted nothing but peace. I maintained a non-aggression pack with them while fighting with the other two.

Towards the end, the Elerians had been completly eliminated and one of the major Psilon colonies was destroyed. The election came up and the gnolams voted for me. Added in my votes and it was enough to win.

Matthew

Postby Matthew » Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:11 pm

Suggestion:

I would move Telepathic Training to either Sociology or Biology. I don't see what computers would have to do with it.

Cabman

Postby Cabman » Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:59 am

I would move Telepathic Training to either Sociology or Biology. I don't see what computers would have to do with it.
You're mebbe right. But that's only names. And putting holos with Telepathic Training serves well the DC idea. Better spy bonus or better morale. Should i play Uni, tech tele and steal techs from puny Demo, or should i pick demo/dict and increase morale with holos.

Matthew

Postby Matthew » Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:18 pm

You're mebbe right. But that's only names. And putting holos with Telepathic Training serves well the DC idea. Better spy bonus or better morale. Should i play Uni, tech tele and steal techs from puny Demo, or should i pick demo/dict and increase morale with holos.
For it's cost I don't think telepahtic training is worth it. The +5% Spying isn't much unless you take +Spying as a race pick and also research most of the spying techs. I doubt if many players will take it.

siron

Postby siron » Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:01 pm

First, regarding the technames I am aware that some techs don’t fit in its category. I know that some players don’t care at all about this. I have cared about it. But my opinion is that I have still the option to rename the techs that they fit. Until now I haven’t done so, there were still a lot of techmoves in the tree regarding the last versions. And renaming would have confused more players than it would have helped to solve the problem. (For example, I had also Powered Armor in biology – the name doesn’t fit, but I think it is no problem at all to move a ground combat tech to biology (for example genetic improvements a la Jem’Hadar in DS9 etc.)

Renaming the tech simply solves the telepathic training issue since there are already spy techs in computer. I had also thought....I could simply swap the tele-neural names. See also:

When I started with modding earlier holo-simulator was already one of my first ideas. And I had lots of comments that a demo races can’t risk to take holos when it is in the same field with neural scanners. That was the reason for the change but I still think like Cab that the morale-spy techfield is good and gives an Uni some options to spy against the techraces.

And btw, there are also techfield names that don’t fit. When anyone has ideas....he can mail them.....I actually don’t like that part of modding. :P

Matthew

Postby Matthew » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:44 pm

Maybe instead of moving telepathic renaming might work better. Like maybe a name that has something to do with Cryptography? Like the code-breakers of WWII.

Jos

Congrats

Postby Jos » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:05 am

First off i would like to congratualte Sirion on the DC mod.
It does an excellent job of reorganising the tech tree to
bring forward the crap techs and send the overpowered
ones back. I would say it also succeeds in its aim to
create difficult choices. Good job on the race picks also.

Well done Sirion.

My question; the only aspect i would like to change of
Moo2 is ground combat. I find this aspect of the game
has had much invested in it. Techs such as battleoids
and tanks are a great idea but so pointless in the face
of ship design techs. After all, if your key planets are
blockaded you're probably finished and ground combat
troops are not going to save you.

So; how would i change the game to make it much
harder to kill colonists and ground troops via orbital
bombardment? Ideally i would leave the buildings as
easy to destroy, but make it tough to kill the colonists
and troops.

Can anyone help?

Jos

experience

Postby Jos » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:11 pm

One final question i forgot to ask:
Does experience actually work as
stated in the manual? For example:
Ultra elites get +75 attack and
defense?

Cabman

Postby Cabman » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:28 am

Yes.
regular +15
veteran +30
elite + 50
u. elite +75

Buddenbrook

Postby Buddenbrook » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:07 am

Yes.
regular +15
veteran +30
elite + 50
u. elite +75
And what are the experience points required to get to these levels? I have played moo2 for ~1000 hours and I have never paid attention...

Cabman

Postby Cabman » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:36 am

Building a ship after space academy gives 50 exp points ( regular status)
Warlord's ships start from regular level( 0 exp), so 500 exp gives u. elite status.

siron

Postby siron » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:49 pm

Thanks for your comment, Jos.

And you have a nice mod idea. I wasn't aware how to change that when I worked on DCb6, but DCb7 will probably modify these rolls. But I am not sure about the percentages right now.

Return to “Game Modifications”