Difficult Choice Mod

Information, How-to's, and discussion about mod'ing Master of Orion II.
Buddenbrook

Postby Buddenbrook » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:56 am

Building a ship after space academy gives 50 exp points ( regular status)
Warlord's ships start from regular level( 0 exp), so 500 exp gives u. elite status.
Thanks. I just figured out what couple of tables in the .exe do, in the case it adds anything to modding. Experience points required to reach different ship crew levels, and the bonuses to combat. In addition to ship defence and attack (which have different parameters in the exe, but are always the same) there is +5,+15,+15,+20 bonus to marine combat. By altering these you could e.g. make Warlord a major racepick.
Last edited by Buddenbrook on Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Buddenbrook

Re: ground troops and colonists

Postby Buddenbrook » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:44 am

So; how would i change the game to make it much
harder to kill colonists and ground troops via orbital
bombardment? Ideally i would leave the buildings as
easy to destroy, but make it tough to kill the colonists
and troops.
You need to change the structure points for civilian population, infantry and tanks. But remember that the bombardment will always target the weaker ones first. So if your infantry are stronger than your civilian population, your workers will go first. Currently the structure points for civilian population, infantry and tanks is 100. But tanks take 2 hits to kill, so it is effectively 200. Heavy-G + Powered Armor = 3 hits to kill, 300 structure points for infantry. Infantry and tanks in ground bombardment are NOT affected by armor, such as adamantium. Only by hits to kill x 100.

My solution to this is:

-Increase civilian population structure points x Y
-Increase the max. amount of marines and tanks a planet can hold and possibly their structure points x Z

But remember to sustain the balance so that the infantry and tanks will go first, protecting the civilian population. So that it would take couple of turns to start killing the civilian population, in which period help might arrive in time to revert the situation.

Although I don't know exactly why you want the buildings to be easy to destroy. Are planets with destroyed infrastructure but surviving population logical when being bombarded with nuclear weapons and worse?

You can also alter the chance % to kill for bio weapons in the .exe, but easier is just to alter to your taste the space units they take.

siron

Postby siron » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:27 pm

In addition to ship defence and attack (which have different parameters in the exe, but are always the same) there is +5,+15,+15,+20 bonus to marine combat. By altering these you could e.g. make Warlord a major racepick.
They are bugged AFAIK.

c'g~

Postby c'g~ » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:49 pm

You need to change the structure points for civilian population, infantry and tanks.

My solution to this is:

-Increase the max. amount of marines and tanks a planet can hold and possibly their structure points x Z

You can also alter the chance % to kill for bio weapons in the .exe, but easier is just to alter to your taste the space units they take.
What program/editor I need for doing those changes or generally how can I change values in .exe file (I know about OCL editor, but it’s not a panacea – so many lacking possibilities)?

ck07

Postby ck07 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:30 pm

After I updated DD I work now on DC.

Is DC compatible with DD or DR?

If so, how do I do it? The descriptions say that each creates a differently named .exe.

Thanks.

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:14 pm

Is DC compatible with DD or DR?
What do you mean by compatible? Its a different mod and it runs by different executable, namely ORIONDC.exe
The other thing is that it is co-existive with other mods, i.e. it doesn't need a separate folder.
You can find details on this here: http://masteroforion2.blogspot.com/2005 ... rview.html

ck07

Postby ck07 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:07 am

I'll take that as a no.

Thanks.

Jos

Postby Jos » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:01 pm

You need to change the structure points for civilian population, infantry and tanks.

My solution to this is:

What program/editor I need for doing those changes or generally how can I change values in .exe file (I know about OCL editor, but it’s not a panacea – so many lacking possibilities)?
Can i also ask Buddenbrook's question? what editor can we use to change these values?
Moo, i say. Moooo!

zitro

Postby zitro » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:23 am

EDIT: found out how to fix the blank screen.

the mod is fantastically balanced, especially the 'picks' when customizing the race.

zitro

Postby zitro » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:10 pm

suggestions:

_picks:

-50% growth gives few negative points for how much damage it does. I suggest -8, and -1 production should also be -8 since combined with Unification, it isn't that bad.

Low G World should probably be around -8 or -9 as well.

Cybernetic should cost around 5: combined with Unification, it is a fantastic pick.

Lithovore is too expensive and not that great, unless there's a combo I'm unaware of.

Fantastic Traders should cost 2, it is not bad at all!

_Strengthen Anti-Matter Torpedoes a bit, they are relatively useless when compared to Merculite Missiles under the 2-missile settings.
_Decrease the space needed by Scout Lab, do people really use this?
_I find Recyclotron and AstroUniversity to be weak.

zitro

Postby zitro » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:03 am

other suggestions as I played online:

_The early laser weapons do not damage a lot, I find myself playing with missiles and bombers with anti-matter bombs.
_Evolutionary Mutation isn't that great of a tech anymore
_Death ray is an awful tech and once I get it, my battlestations equip that and do minimal damage.

but despite that, this mod is outstanding. It balances things very well overall, makes it more strategic (difficult choices indeed!) and makes the game a much more rewarding experience. It also doesn't make the tech-tree odd like Expa does.

c'g~

See the difference

Postby c'g~ » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:25 am

Indeed, DC mod:
...balances things very well overall, makes it more strategic (difficult choices indeed!) and makes the game a much more rewarding experience...
…especially when you play Dictatorship (most powerful Government in DC acknowledged by most of the community).
It also doesn't make the tech-tree odd like Expa does.
Ahem…
You forgot to add:
…odd and very creative Tech Tree without difficult choices (one in one Tech Field), but with VIABLE choices (all in all Tech Fields).

Please, try to see the difference.

c’g~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>

MadViper

Postby MadViper » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:49 am

I have Problems to download the Modfrom this site:

http://masteroforion2.blogspot.com/2006 ... od-b6.html

Wenn i Click on the download Link of the "DCModb6.zip" it shows this Site:

http://www.moo2.de-suuplappens.de/DCmodb6.zip

Not Found
The requested URL /DCmodb6.zip was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Does anybody have a non-broken Link to download this mod?

Thanks!

Green_Knight

Postby Green_Knight » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:56 am

I have the mod, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to make it available for general download. Maybe I could e-mail it to you or something.

Aldareis

Postby Aldareis » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:16 am

Hi all,

(Sorry, I am french user, my accent is not perfectible)

So, I would like know if the link of difficult choice mod will available again ?

Today, I have older version. Value total pick is reajuste 40 now.
For example pick :

TechChange :

TechTable :

If there is not possible to download new patch mod difficult choice, think you the game is interesting ?

Thank you for advance

Return to “Game Modifications”