Difficult Choice Mod

Information, How-to's, and discussion about mod'ing Master of Orion II.
donm61873

Postby donm61873 » Mon May 01, 2006 12:18 am

So... is the updated Difficult Choice mod ready yet?

siron

Postby siron » Mon May 01, 2006 7:50 am

It looked like an early b23 some months ago. LordBrazen has already some additional fixes but he thinks to include further stuff. (See antarans mod post on his blog.) So I had in mind to wait for b23....and forgot it then :oops:

I have 2-3 changes in mind....mebbe I also include some map modding stuff. I hope next weekend.

donm61873

Postby donm61873 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:20 am

How about just a rebuild of this with b23?

siron

Postby siron » Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:10 am

After I updated DD I work now on DC.

Finally improved fighter hitpoints (found a way to do this and had to test in hotseat if it effects other things in combat)

Also grounddefence (missile base, fighter garrison etc.) will have more structure now.

Improved Planetary Shields.

Planets (maxpop) similar to current DD.

BHG is fixed in b23 so I need some changes in the Force Field tree. I also think about changes in Construction because of changed fighters, assault shuttles etc.

I will prolly make ReinforcedHull a starting tech now. I wasnt happy with the augmented engines-rhull field any longer. Battles are too different from regular moo then.

siron

Postby siron » Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:58 pm

Finally an update :P

http://masteroforion2.blogspot.com/2006 ... od-b5.html

Some tables (click them to enlarge):

TechTable

TechChanges

RacePicks

DJ

Postby DJ » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:49 am

Great job ! I am impressed !
Game now incredible fast !!!

siron

Postby siron » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:43 am

Great job ! I am impressed !
Game now incredible fast !!!

siron

Postby siron » Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:45 am

Another update :

http://masteroforion2.blogspot.com/2006 ... od-b6.html

What's new in this betaversion?

There were still a few hangovers from old approaches to solve the morale and bombs problems of Moo2. Special thanks to Cabman who played this mod a lot and pointed out a few problems. I cleaned up a bit:

a) Missiles have their old 1.31 values now. Since I upgraded the planetary shields in DCb5 there is no longer a reason to reduce the missile damage generally.
b) Anti-matter Torpedoes have also an increased damage of 13 now. A flux shield and Shield Class V combination is enough to neutralize overloaded torpedoes then.
c) I liked Cybersaber's mod idea but Structural Analyzers were too attractive in the early tech field compared to EMG. A further reason why missiles where unpopular in DCb5. Nevertheless, I think it is possible now to tech SA in its old 1.31 techfield since there is an additional substitute for the cybercomp (mole and improved mole).
d) No longer early Powered Armor. Psionics moved up in b5 and so did Powered Armor now.
e) PPs of Robotic Factory are reduced to 100.
f) There is a new approach with respect to race pick costs. There are still up to 10 negative picks possible. But if you use them all there are up to 40 positive race picks you can spend now (instead of 20 picks in 1.31)

Some tables (click them to enlarge):

TechTable

TechChanges

RacePickScreen

RacePickOverview (positive picks are divided by 2)

Time

Postby Time » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:39 pm

Did you increase the picks for Evolution Mutation to 8 picks as well?
MOO1 Fan, MOO2 Fan, MOO3 needed too many changes = hopeless, getting older waiting for a MOO4 (still).

siron

Postby siron » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:23 pm

No, I didnt know how to do this. But therefore it is now cheaper in the techtree.

Time

Evolutionary Mutation Choices

Postby Time » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:52 pm

So it looks like to me one can make the following choices with Evolution Mutation:

Buy Off Penalties:
Ship Defense (-3), Ground Combat (-2), Spying (-3), Repulsive (-4)?

Purchase New Picks:
Ship Defense +25 (+4), Ship Attack +20 (+4), Ground Combat +10 (+3), Spying +10 (+4)

Purchase New Specials:
Cybernetic (+3), Charismatic (+4), Fantastic Traders (+1), Lucky (+1)

Upgrade an existing Pick to a Higher Bonus:
Pop+50 to Pop+100 (+3), Food +1 to Food +2 (+3), Science +1 to Science +2 (+4), Tax +0.5 to Tax +1 (+4), Ship Defense +25 to Ship Defense +50 (+4), Ship Attack +20 to Ship Attack +50 (+4), Ground Combat +10 to Ground Combat +20 (+3), Spying +10 to Spying +20 (+4 )

I hope I have all of them.

I used to take Warlord (+4) with those 4 picks, just to be able to build many Titans or Doom Stars later in the game. Works insanely well with Imperium.

It looks like we can buy off Repulsive? was this intentional? or is this blocked from being a possibilty?

I hope the it is found in the code, so Warlord, Stealthy ships, Omniscent, Prod +2 and others can be readded to the list of possibilties.

As far as I can tell, for example, if someone choses Stealthy ships in the beginning, an opponent will now be unable to pick Omniscient to "see" these ships. This is a significant change. I realize this is not chosen much in multiplayer games, according to the forums, but, in single player or LAN games, it means we will never be able to see Darloks Ships or Mrrshan sometimes get it or some of my friends choose it.

I would like to be able to choose Transdimensional with the picks, rarely used otherwise.
Too bad, the Picks can't be 4.5 for example, instead of doubling them, but, whatever works.

I like some of the other changes, you were able to eliminate the UniTolProd+1 choice, yet still keep the UniTolCyb choice.
You even created UniAqProd+2Cyb 15+9+13+3=40; Great food bonuses and enough Prod bonuses to make Cyber usable, not having to choose Advanced Damage Control to research is nice.

Anyway I've rambled on long enough.
Keep up the good work. :D
MOO1 Fan, MOO2 Fan, MOO3 needed too many changes = hopeless, getting older waiting for a MOO4 (still).

siron

Re: Evolutionary Mutation Choices

Postby siron » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:52 am

I used to take Warlord (+4) with those 4 picks, just to be able to build many Titans or Doom Stars later in the game. Works insanely well with Imperium.
Warlord or Shipattack+50 are the most popular choices in our MP games.
It looks like we can buy off Repulsive? was this intentional? or is this blocked from being a possibilty?
Yes, this works and is intentional. It was the first thing I tested with the ALT+EINSTEIN cheat. You can’t disable Repulsive directly (this is blocked) but you can disable it by clicking on Charismatic. (Click a 2nd time on Charismatic to disable this pick.)
I hope the it is found in the code, so Warlord, Stealthy ships, Omniscent, Prod +2 and others can be readded to the list of possibilties.

Since there were only 2 popular choices in our MP games I am not unhappy that they are disabled now.
As far as I can tell, for example, if someone choses Stealthy ships in the beginning, an opponent will now be unable to pick Omniscient to "see" these ships.
Yes, there is a difference, though you can try stealth here at start since omni costs a pick more. In regular moo the pick stealth is never chosen (besides omni-ban games).
I realize this is not chosen much in multiplayer games, according to the forums, but, in single player or LAN games, it means we will never be able to see Darloks Ships or Mrrshan sometimes get it or some of my friends choose it.
Stealth is useless in singleplayer. The AI is always omni. (Watch some saves, it never hit monsters and it is always well-informed about your fleet movements.)
Keep up the good work.
Thanks. When I would know how to influence the amount of picks you can redistribute I would think about some changes. But so far it is not my priority since I think that the current solution is ok (and I wanted to remove a bio-techfield anyway). Mebbe the Gaia-tech is now stronger (at least for non-aquas)...but we will see. There will be surely readjustments when I see that a racepick or tech is too popular. But currently the kali players like Cabman, Futurist, Alex, Skybandit and Larsman tried a lot of different races, techs and ship designs. The uber strategy is not found yet it seems.

Time

Postby Time » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:28 pm

oops, I just realized I misspelled that:

" if someone choses Stealthy ships in the beginning, an opponent will now be unable to pick Omniscient to "see" these ships"

supposed to be "not", sorry.

In my LAN games, when 2 sides seem equal, one of us would use Evo. Mut., choose Stealth, then attack, planet hop to an unexpected planet. This usually resulted in a eliminating enough planets to declare a winner.
The only counter was omni, picked by the other player. In this case, neither could be chosen later in game. So it would be less of a gamble to choose it, in the beginning now (vs. human opponents).

Sorry, I'm not trying to rant or complain. I do visit here often, just to see what others have come up with. Funny thing, for example, I had never tried UniTolProd+1, til I visited this site (I see why many don't want it in their games). (I tried the 100 pop. by turn 100 challange and found one for ex.)

Time

Cabman

Postby Cabman » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:41 am

I had never tried UniTolProd+1, til I visited this site (I see why many don't want it in their games). (I tried the 100 pop. by turn 100 challange and found one for ex.)
Try 250 in t 100. :lol:
In my LAN games, when 2 sides seem equal, one of us would use Evo. Mut., choose Stealth, then attack
you can't pick stealth in dcmod for 4 (teching evo)picks either. Btw in regular Moo i always preferred to pick +50 ba, +20 gc or warlord

Time

Postby Time » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:32 pm

[/quote]Try 250 in t 100. :lol: [/quote] :shock:

Wow, that must be a race like AqSubPop+100Prd+1 ?
I had an AqP100P2LgRhw :)

[/quote]Btw in regular Moo i always preferred to pick +50 ba, +20 gc or warlord[/quote]

I usually didn't choose SA or GC, as Telepathic never needed GC, plus Transports are so cheap, when not Telep. And +50 ShpAtk seemed overkill, with when one has many ships, or unnecessary with Maulers or Stellar converters (autohit), or Pulson-mirvs (depending on the foes defenses).

Anyway, we are getting off topic here, so I'll stop. Maybe we continue under a different heading. 8)

Return to “Game Modifications”