Modding Shield Strength?

Information, How-to's, and discussion about mod'ing Master of Orion II.
Xiron
Modding Shield Strength?

Postby Xiron » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:25 pm

I've been digging around the forums (just found them today, been playing moo2 since it came out), I've yet to find any information about editing shield strengths. Not the damage they reduce, but how much damage they can actually take before going down. I've seen it done in one mod I tested, which led to my wanting to know how it was done. I've dug around the OCL output, but cannot find anything that would appear to have any control over this particular calculation. As far as I understand it, it calculates the shield strength from the shield class and the hull factor of the ship/starbase that it's places on. Either a way to increase the value of the shield class or the hull factor would be great. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Well, after some digging and cross-referencing, I figured out that the damage reduced was part of the shield strength calculation....however I was hoping/trying to avoid increasing that. If anyone knows how to change the hull factor for ships and starbases that would be great. Though I have a sinking feeling that if someone did it'd be posted already.

Green_Knight

Postby Green_Knight » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:19 am

Never heard of such a thing in any mod.

So you're stuck with editing shield class I suppose. You could also make Multi-Phased and Capacitators more available if you'd like to see more shield damage absorption.

Xiron

Postby Xiron » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:27 am

There's got to be something somewhere that controls it....perhaps also referenced by tractor beams? Tractor beams do need a certain amount of them to immobilize a target, depending on ship class, iirc. Might be related, idk, just throwing it out there.

And the problem is that with the damage reduction you have to keep the same ratios anyways, that being with increased shield reduction there would have to be increased weapon damage to prevent weapons from becoming simply ineffective. My aim and hope was to simply buff shields a bit, as they always seemed underpowered to me in all my years of playing Moo2. I mean, they fell apart when anyone so much as sneezed on them, practically, and were rarely worth the space they took up (to me at least).

Green_Knight

Postby Green_Knight » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:44 am

Well, there IS undoubtedly some value somewhere that determines the ship class multiplier. But never heard of anyone finding it in the .exe

It's possible to make shields a bit more useful by generally increasing their class AND/PR making Multiphased, Capacitators and Hard Shields more readily available.

Most weapons - Hv mount in particular - easily cut through shields of a comparable tech level, so buffing the shield class just a bit might be enough.

For example:

Class I = Class III
Class III = Class VII
Class V = Class XII
etc.

Xiron

Postby Xiron » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:03 am

Well, for now it's a fairly good solution.

However, if anyone has any idea where the hull factor for ships might be located, or even where I might start looking (and what values I might look for), that would be great. I'm working with the windows version at the moment as I never really plan to play on kali and it's the most readily accessible for me. But, I have no issues switching, if ever better documentation on the offsets for the dos version and/or the hull factor offsets present themselves.

Return to “Game Modifications”