Game crash error

Information, How-to's, and discussion about mod'ing Master of Orion II.
Inari
Game crash error

Postby Inari » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:33 pm

First, let me say that this forum has been immensely helpful, both in providing tools and information for modding. Thank you all.

Now, here is my problem. Whenever I use any utility to alter the cost of race picks, this is what happens.

I start a new game and select custom race.
I make my race and enjoy playing with modified costs.
I exit the game after victory (or defeat).

Works fine, but...

When I start the game again and attempt to create a custom race, the game crashes, no error message provided. This happens regardless of how I run the game, whether with Dosbox, using Orion95, or simply running orion2.exe native in windows (XP SP2).

This does not occur if I select an existing race.

While typing this, I realized the problem, and the solution, which I will post for the sake of helping anyone else who has noticed this problem.

The problem was that, due to certain race picks having reduced costs, my total picks were too high for the "last race" to properly display, which caused a game crash. The solution is to delete the "lastrace" file in the orion2 directory before starting a new game. I believe that actually fixing the bug would require a complete rewrite of the exe, or perhaps simply shortening the names of the picks would work.

Return to “Game Modifications”